oasis more popular than the Beatles

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LiveForever, Feb 19, 2008.

1. LiveForever macrumors 6502

In repeated polls oasis's albums consistently beat the Beatles (and everyone else) in the UK- In fact 4 oasis alums feature on this list.

The truth will out, its a shame their image has prejudiced them as their music speaks for itself and is era defining.

"Oasis has claimed the top two spots in a poll of Britain's best ever albums, ahead of iconic albums by The Beatles and Pink Floyd."

A bit of a tip- The new oasis album, recorded at Abbey Roads and bing mixed as I type in LA, is generating a bit of a buzz as it's rumoured to be another classic.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/oa...tish-album-poll/2008/02/19/1203190748941.html

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

oasis was that band i liked in the late 90's when i was at college, but all the newer stuff is pants

better if they just split up and get back together in 20 years for there retirement fund tour

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They made an average album once. It was also their first album. Everything that came after was rubbish.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

In your opinion, of course. ;)

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

In your opinion, obviously.

Their 90's stuff was brilliant, they've gone mostly off since, though there have been a few good tracks here and there.

edit: ^ hah! exactly :D

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Shock news: Q readers think Oasis is the dog's bollocks.

Next newsflash: Mojo readers vote Bob Dylan most influential musician of all time...

Anyone in marketing or publishing knows that these polls are just there to flog stuff... what are the chances of Q trying to boost circulation by spreading this list across multiple issues?

7. bartelby macrumors Core

That's more or less what I was going to write, but you've done it much more eloquently.

I would say I'd have thought Mojo readers would be split between Dylan and Hendrix though.

Lists like this are a load of fetid dingo's kidneys. I like Pink Floyd and I don't mind the 1st Stone Roses album. As for the rest I can't stand them.

It seems to me that Q Magazine readers like whatever Q Magazine tells them to like.

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

"Oasis more popular than the Beatles"

... but where does that leave Jesus? :p

9. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Havnt they said this before every Oasis album launch since the despicable Be Here Now?

They've got 3 Oasis albums in their top ten. How credible can that list be?

10. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Well, still in the Holy Trinity, but maybe moved down a position.

11. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

No they have two albums in the top 10, not three.

Oasis are probably the most succesfull they been in the last 10 years. Their last album had 2 UK number 1's and a number 2, the album was number 1 in the UK, most of Europe and Japan.

Its not just Q mag (it was also in conjunction with retailer HMV who sell records not magazines) , previous polls in other publications, like this one, conclude the same thing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/5037792.stm
    and this one
    http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/oasis top greatest song list_1006508
    and
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4592897.stm (Virgin Radio)

OK I agree certain magaizines favour differant artists but Q Mag has always been extremely critical of oasis but these polls across all sections of the population do seem put oasis on top.

They must have something surely.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Singles charts don't mean squat anymore. Not knocking Oasis, I do like them, just saying.

13. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I've ignored all these polls since Bryan Adams' 'Everything I do' was vote 3rd greatest song of all time in the early 90s.

14. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

This thread belongs in rock and roll purgatory alone with the recent thread claiming U2 is the greatest band of all time...

15. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

that's a very good rule to follow.;)

16. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

You're having a laugh surely. The second one you mention is just Q again, and the others are both quite old. None of them is across all sections of the population.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

They only run these polls because they know nobody can top Sir Mixalot.

18. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

First one is British Hit Singles and Albums and NME June 2006, hardly old

Second one Q (not Q and HMV) from 2006, ditto

Third one Virgin Radio (one of the most listened to stations in the UK) 2005.

and more to proove my point (OK Noel G voted coolest man in UK)
    http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyn...tar-gallagher-tops-cool-poll.html&e=l_news_dm

The poll which the thread was started about is from Q and HMV. HMV are one of the biggest music retailers in the UK and as such surely represent a wide cross section of the public. Its not just by Q magazine.

And Virgin radio are a general music station, not a rock station.

The thing which surprises me is that oasis are still topping these polls. I am a huge oasis fan but I am as amazed as anyone else that they are still so hugely popular. They polled more than three times the next band apparently.

The thing about oasis is that they mean so much to so many people (in the UK) A few years ago I remember reading an interview with a British soldier after a big Tank battle in Basra (? I think ) who said he listened to oasis to take away the fear whilst it was going on and he said Its Good To be Free just seemed to fit the situation so perfectly for him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-W2lwCynNg&feature=related

19. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

In a world where every other "newspaper" is covering what the latest escapees from Big Brother has just bought from the supermarket, or how a footballer's wife/girlfriend has just dropped another dress size I'm not sure what your point is.
    Sure Oasis are entertaining, but honestly their music is derivative and unoriginal (Ask Neil Innes, or see here ;) )

Of course, this is my opinion, and you can take it or leave it. :)

20. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

The point I was trying to make was to illustrate how much oasis mean to many, no, not all, people in the UK. They seem to be winning all these all time best ever polls and I was just trying to give you an example on an individual level.

That soldier could well have been killed and and he chose to listen to oasis in what could have been his last moments alive.

I don't think oasis are un original and derivative (have you heard Definetly Maybe). yes they are clearly influenced by a lot of bands but so were practically every other band out there-even the Beatles were influenced by the music of the time. Oasis are influencing lots of bands now too. There are songs on Green Days American Idiot(an awesome album) which are clearly oasis take offs (the one about walking lonley roads for one). Sometimes a little tweak and alteration can turn an ok song to brilliance. Whatever may be similar in one part but did Neil Innes get to Number 3 for weeks in the UK, Whatever was the song which really pushed oasis into the stratosphere. The mixture of electric guitars and violins is magnificent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tuPBrSl9Nw

But I (and clearly millions in the UK) love oasis and you do not not, that's fine and I really don't care what music you like. Whatever floats your boat. I learnt after too many nights arguing about music to 5am at uni that there is no point arguing about music-but its fun.

21. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

succinct, if not accurate, to say the least...;)

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is it?

I guess you're right. Besides, What's The Story does have the more memorable songs.

I really don't think any album after that was worth listening to. Lots of other music to purchase, steal, or just listen to.

Q is the worst music mag I've ever seen. They don't make as many "Best Band Ever!" claims as NME, but they don't have content of any sort.

23. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

The problem I have with Oasis is that they don't make me sit up and think, wow that was great. They do have some good songs and are very successful, but in all fairness, they jumped on the Brit-pop band wagon in the '90s and have just been lucky enough to last longer than the rest. If you listen to an early album and the most recent work they are all very 'safe', nothing new, nothing that pushes the limits of what people find acceptable. I guess it is very similar with U2, very 'safe'.

Ok it sells records and singles (for what they are worth these days) but there is no spark of imagination and nothing that grabs you by the short and curlies and makes you listen to them.

In my opinion, music these days is very boring and dry. Well it has been since the late 90's really. Ah well. :confused:

24. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

For the record

The best thing Oasis ever recorded was a B-side called Acquiesce.

And that's a fact! ;)