Odd. 2TB External Drive freezes/crashes my 2017 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PhillyGuy72, Jul 19, 2019.

1. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

I have this older external 2TB Hard drive that has been connected to my older iMac (It runs on Sierra) for a few years. No problems at all. I figured I would move this external to my newer 2017 iMac (runs on Mojave), but this just seems to completely freeze up the computer, it won't even ForceQuit "Finder" I had to shut it off using the power button on the back.

When it's not connected, it runs great.

I don't have any issues with 2 other externals, both 4GBs, they run perfectly fine on both computers. (I have a lot of Photos, videos, software .DMGs on those...and that's why I swap back and forth)

I figured I would just use this 2TB because I barely have any files on this, it's more like a backup of a backup of a backup lol...but no luck.
    Any ideas? I'm not sure what the issue is. The 4TB drives and this 2TB are formatted exactly the same.

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Might be a hardware conflict, or perhaps a reformat would clear up the problems?
    By the way, WHAT format is the drive in?

3. PhillyGuy72 thread starter macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

All drives are "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" I was about to completely reformat this 2TB - but (duh for me), I thought lying in bed "try the file sharing!"

A slight brain f@rt I guess the last few days lol :confused:, I haven't file shared probably since 2001...and this was old Windows desktop/laptop so I'm just not used to doing this.

Anyway, I set that up on both Macs under System Preferences, it works perfectly. The newer iMac reads has access to my external drives.

4. mikehalloran macrumors 65816

That doesn't matter.
    Glad you figured it out.