Ode To Marathon, The Best Mac Game Ever Made

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Huntn, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Read about it in this MacRumors Article. I wrote this many years ago while writing for MacGamer's Ledge. Some discussion in the PCGamer top 100 thread, got me remembering. :cool:

2. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    MMM yes. The story was the biggest thriller for me.

3. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Nice article ... Marathon was a full year after Doom, and as an Apple ][+ Castle Wolfenstein fan from the early 80's I had already played the heck out of Wolf 3D for over a year before Doom arrived.

I prefer Wolf 3D to Doom, and Marathon & Dark Forces & Duke 3D remain my faves of that era.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Come on, you are suppose to make a video with some auto-tuned singing homage!

5. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

DA...Da DI Da... MARATHON! (imagine the tune in your head). :p

6. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

7. Chilaha macrumors member

Marathon worth downloading?

I heard about Marathon coming to the ipad, Daniel Blezek is doing that. I saw an interview on Bungie about it (http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=31828) and was wondering... is the game any good? It looks VERY old, in technology time and Im also wondering how violent it is, I try to avoid violent games but i hear a lot of great stuff about this game. And does it have any multiplayer/online modes?
    Thanks Chilaha

8. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

You have to consider the time - it falls between Doom and Duke Nukem 3D tech-wise, and is listed along with Dark Forces as the two main 'story-driven' shooters of the era.

I think it is an awesome game, but have no idea how it will translate to the iPad experience. Some shooters (like Duke 3D) have been pretty lousy on iOS.

9. Chilaha, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

Chilaha macrumors member

Marathon

Ok, now I see why the game looks like it does... but uh how violent is it.
    And im still curious if it has any LAN or multiplayer game modes.
    Thanks Chilaha
    P.S-Im on the marathon download website, what do i do with the zip... i opened it and it just has the contents. Can you give me detailed download/setup instructions.

10. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Still cracks me up that the Infinity theme was done by Powerman 5000.

Some of the add-ons like EVIL are also really fun to play.

Marathon came boxed with LAN mode only, but IIRC Aleph One is capable of online play. You may have to get an add-on to do it, it's been a while since I played.

After you download Aleph One, drag a copy of the Aleph One app into a folder, and drag the game files you want to play in with it. Click on A1 and it should launch that particular game.

It's also not THAT violent, especially contrasted with games like Left 4 Dead. You can turn the gore settings down too--if yellow blood really bothers you. :p

11. Chilaha macrumors member

Question

Im on "The Trilogy Release" I dont see any files named Aleph one. Is that Marathon 1?
    Thanks Chilaha :D

12. ckleerun macrumors newbie

Download Aleph One from SourceForge.

I just fired it up last night for old times' sake. :D By today's standards, it's not at all violent IMO -- but there are both alien and human "splat" effects on kill, and there is killing. You get more gore on CSI and L&O.

13. Chilaha macrumors member

Marathon

This game is incredible. I played a few online matches in Infinity, cause most people were on there... and the game is really good. Its a lot like Halo and i see why its a distant relative of it. I can see why its one of the greatest if not the greatest game on mac. Its free too, what more can you ask.
    Chilaha

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I just played the original (via emulation) again last week. What a great game. Yeah it's dated by today's standards, but at the time it was unparalleled, IMO. The atmosphere was really cool, with a well implemented story.

Adding to the cool factor was the Mac only aspect of it.

15. Huntn, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

It's a "shooter". I could finish by saying "nuff said" but I won't. ;) It is just as violent as the best of them, but it's not as graphic due to it's age. However, what I seem to remember is the rocket launcher turning your victim into a large splat of goo. :D If you insist on modern graphics you'll be disappointed. If you can look beyond that you'll see the finest early shooter from the annals of 1990s computer gaming.

Ode to Marathon!