offically factory unlocked iphone 4s Order Status Thread (not the AT&T unlocked one)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ansabakhan, Nov 14, 2011.

1. ansabakhan, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i am looking for a officially unlocked iPhone 4s Part number: MD260LL/A on apple.com it says 1-2 weeks ... did any one ordered online got their iphones yet?

or did any one picked up one from apple store yet?

2. JoganJani macrumors member

I did try Apple store today. No dice. No information whatsoever on availability. Got device only again.

3. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

4. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

If you buy the AT&T full price they unlock it for you I think is what I got from the front page story weeks ago.

5. JoganJani macrumors member

You can buy AT&T device only off-contract phone from Apple retail store only and they come unlocked. Though they'll tell you those are tied to AT&T. There is a thread on it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1253171

6. b24pgg macrumors 65816

The AT&T device only, off contract iPhone 4S comes with a SIM card and no SIM removal tool.

The official unlocked iPhone 4S comes with no SIM card and a SIM removal tool.

Other than that...no difference.

7. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

the other thing is with every update AT&T unlocked phone owner would fear their phone might get locked.. thats why i want to get the offical unlocked iphone

8. taedouni macrumors 65816

How does that make any sense?
    What determines whether your iPhone is locked or not is the IMEI, not what version of iOS your iPhone has. If Apple wanted to lock an iPhone they don't do it in an iOS update....They would simply do it on their servers by placing the IMEI on a locked iPhone list so that the next time you restore your iPhone it will show as being a locked device (basically the "Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked" message will not appear)

If you have an unlocked iPhone, don't fear. Your iPhone will forever be unlocked.

9. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

there is a tread on this page where every one is talking about how their phone is still unlocked after 5.0.1 update.

10. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

Unlocked iPhone 4S not available in the stores yet, i checked here in Portland, OR

i hope there will be stock by thanksgiving.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Playing devil's advocate - suppose AT&T says to Apple, "Hey, it says here in our contract paragraph 17 subparagraph 237 part IV that any phone sold as an AT&T phone must be locked whether sold with a subsidy or not" - and Apple says "Oops, you're right" and removes those IMEI's from the unlocked database. If you bought it as an "AT&T" phone, you would have no recourse.

12. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

If you've purchased it device only, off contract at an Apple store then your phone is not bound to this imaginary contract you've drawn up. It's not an "AT&T" phone unless you sign a contract w/ AT&T. When you purchase device only, you give no AT&T account information at all. Apple unlocks it from their servers, it doesn't go through AT&T at all.

13. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

Ordered the day after it came available online, delivery by 28th-5th

14. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

I ordered yesterday 11/14th i have the same delivery dates.

i guess your will ship earlier than the quoted dates.

Can we make this Official Unlocked iPhone 4S apple.com US shipping thread? :D

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The theoretical contract is between Apple and AT&T, you are not a party to it. Since Apple controls the status of the unlocked IMEI database, and Apple never "Said" that your AT&T full-price phone would be unlocked, then if Apple decided to remove your IMEI from that database you would have no recourse.

I'm not saying it's going to happen or even likely to happen. I'm just saying, if it did, there would be nothing you could do about it if you bought an AT&T off-contract phone "assuming" that it would remain unlocked forever.

16. Bruce91 macrumors newbie

when are stores going to be stocking the unlocked iPhone 4s?

17. mtptlyx macrumors newbie

mtptlyx

I second the motion.

I've began checking the Apple Store unlocked 4s page daily since Nov 1 (alright ... several times a day.).
    Early morning Friday 11/11 the page was still showing the infamous sometime in November slogan.
    On a hunch at ~10am I tried again, and to my amazement there was now an Order Now button where the sometime in November slogan used to be!

I ordered two 16GB units for my wife and I.
    Receipt states:
    Ships: 1 - 2 Weeks
    Delivers Nov 28 - Dec 5 by Standard Shipping

So nowadays I pass the time checking the apple store daily to see if there has been any updates in order status.

18. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

the at&t off contact phones sold as device only still says AT&T on the receipt (with a line saying no service activated), and i am sure any one who bought AT&T device only phone from apple store , they accepted AT&T terms n conditions right before they swap credit card for payment. no way to process payment if you don't agree to AT&T terms before buying at&t model device only or contact doesn't matter! and those terms clearly says these phones can only be used with AT&T service

----------

me too ! checked apple site every day almost .. and checked local apple store as many times as possible.

19. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

Ordered the 13th. Same Nov 28-Dec 5 time frame as others. Updates to come.

20. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

how does it work?
    i have an iphone 4S Att locked,
    ordered one from the Apple store factory unlocked,
    i am going to give my son the old one, remove my microsim to the new iphone factory unlocked,
    how it will shaw up on Att?
    they will not have the IME# OF THE NEW ONE

21. AlohaMaui macrumors member

The ATT system auto detects.

I had a 3g, put in the sim card onto a 4s and my account now shows 4s.
    Didnt tell ATT about it either.

22. Musubi macrumors member

Musubi

Ordered a white 64GB over the weekend and have the same estimated delivery date as everyone else: November 28 through December 5.

23. minik macrumors 65816

Ordered On Nov 11, 2011

iPhone 4S - Unlocked (GSM) - 64GB White
    Ships: 1 - 2 Weeks
    Delivers Nov 28 - Dec 5 via Standard Shipping

iPhone - AppleCare+
    Delivers Nov 18 - Nov 21 via Standard Shipping

24. shanmugam, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

25. KKSigs macrumors member