Office apps upload blank docs to Google drive

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Frederiksberg, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Frederiksberg macrumors member

Now this might not be an iPad issue but I've only encountered it on my iPad Pro, so I thought I'd post it here.

When I create a word document or a PowerPoint on my iPad Pro I try to save it to my google drive as that is where I store everything. But whenever I do this the document or presentation turns out to be blank in google drive. It's there but the size is usually 0 bytes and often it won't open. Sometimes it will, but then it's blank.
    This also happens if I open an older document, make alterations and save it back to google drive.

Now, I don't know if this is a Microsoft Office issue, a Google drive issue or an iPad issue. Have any of you guys encountered this problem? I haven't been able to find anything online about it.

If I email the document to myself and add it to Google Drive from there it just works. That's a very annoying workaround, though.

2. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

Am I really the only one who has this problem? Or should I post it somewhere else?

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've just tried this and exactly the same thing happened to me so it definitely looks like a bug somewhere.

I tend to stick to the "native" storage for my apps (i.e. OneDrive or SharePoint for Office and Drive for Google Docs) and use CloudHQ to keep everything consolidated, but I understand that's not an option for everyone

4. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for trying, Phil! It's nice to know that it's not just me. I completely understand your point on using the native app, and I've considered that, but isn't CloudHQ a little expensive?

I better report the bug.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah, CloudHQ is a bit expensive but I use it to consolidate loads of different accounts so find it good value for my needs