Office Depot and OfficeMax Offering $28 Aftermarket iPhone Battery Replacements Until February

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Office Depot and OfficeMax today informed us they have lowered their iPhone battery replacement fee to $27.99 at select stores across the United States through February 4, 2018, undercutting Apple's $29 price by one dollar.

[​IMG]

The lower price, down from $49.99 regularly, is applicable to the iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPhone SE, subject to battery availability and while supplies last.

Office Depot and OfficeMax promise same-day battery replacements. If the order is not completed by the end of regular store hours, the customer receives a repair discount of $25, according to fine print on its website.

One very important caveat is that Office Depot and OfficeMax are not Apple Authorized Service Providers, meaning their replacement batteries are not supplied by Apple, and having an aftermarket battery installed can void your iPhone's warranty, although iFixit argues that Apple cannot do so under U.S. law.

A spokesperson for Office Depot and OfficeMax informed us that their iPhone batteries are built to Apple's specifications for each iPhone model and added that all of their batteries carry a one-year warranty against defects.

We still highly recommend only having an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider replace your iPhone's battery, but Apple is currently running low on some batteries, and Office Depot and OfficeMax may be an option worth considering for customers with an iPhone that is already past its warranty.

Office Depot and OfficeMax offer iPhone battery replacements at hundreds of locations across the United States. Those interested can enter their ZIP code on Office Depot's website to find a participating location near them.

iFixit has also discounted its iPhone battery replacement kits to $29 or less as a do-it-yourself option, but again, we recommend letting a professional at Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider complete the process.

For customers who want to keep things official, read our guide on how to get your iPhone's battery replaced with an appointment at an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Apple also offers a mail-in option.

Article Link: Office Depot and OfficeMax Offering $28 Aftermarket iPhone Battery Replacements Until February

2. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

It's one dollar less than Apple and a third party battery. Pass. But who knows, it may be better for some reason.

3. HobeSoundDarryl, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If you really need a battery, in stock and same day instead of waiting until MAR or later might be a valid "some reason"?

And voiding warranty on devices as old as iPhone 5 seems to not be such a big deal... unless I'm missing something.

And also unless I'm missing something, didn't Apple explicitly exclude those iPhone 5 models anyway?

4. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I personally would wait it out for those who can. It Would alleviate possible disputes if something went wrong with their batteries and Office Max/Depot repair procedures versus Apples.

5. BurgDog macrumors regular

Poor specified by Apple batteries were the problem in the first place. I would be willing to pay more to get a higher quality battery than Apple provides.

6. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

You should have added this information into all these battery articles you had here earlier this week and last week so people are aware of the fact they can go to Apple with a 3rd party battery inside and not being rejected.

Do you know the quality of Apple's batteries, are there any better....you don't know unless you're an insider.
    I am not saying they are inferior or the best, just say you don't know.

7. Yumbo macrumors 6502

Even if past warranty, a 3rd party battery which causes issues invalidates out of warranty service.

Can OfficeMax service your phone?

Only resort to 3rd party after your phone is no longer eligible for any service.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

its better if you have a 5, 5S, etc since they don't get the new apple replacement price (6 and up only).

9. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

True, my mom has a hand me down 5c and it needs a battery bad.

10. buglord macrumors newbie

buglord

Ex Office Depot tech employee here. Run quickly (and far) if they do in-store battery repairs. Employees become techs if they are good at selling, not due to any degree of technical competency. You might get someone who knows what they’re doing, or if they’re even motivated to do a decent job. (It was hard being motivated with 0 training an min wage)

11. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

An extra dollar and having Apple do it is pretty good insurance. I'd do it myself before I had Office Max or Office Depot do it. It's been a long time, but I replaced my 3GS battery pretty easily.

12. BurgDog macrumors regular

Sure I do, that is the cause of the whole issue here. The Apple battery provided provably can't properly power the phone over the specified lifetime of the battery. The slowdown iOS hack is just a way to hide that fact. I expect a decrease in battery life, not a decrease in performance of what it is powering while the battery is in its specified lifetime. I expect to replace batteries as they age, that is normal. I would pay more for a better battery than the poorly specified Apple one.

13. CPx macrumors 6502

14. AmazingRobie macrumors regular

I dont understand why the iphone 4 and earlier models are being left out of the party. Can someone please splain. :(

15. AdamJG90 macrumors newbie

It’s 2018

16. coolfactor macrumors 68040

So were these companies charging 200% markup on the batteries? Or are they providing the repair service for free now? I don't understand how they can just cut the prices in half without losing money on every transaction.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2018 ---
    Yah, that's a reach.

If anything, they are just too small (not poor quality) for the needs of the today's iPhones. Apple's aim to go thin-thin-thin and they've met their match with today's battery tech. That's more reasonable than just claiming they cheaped out on batteries to save a buck.

17. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

So, why wouldn’t you just spend an extra $1 to have Apple replace it instead?
    Probably because they’re ancient (by smartphone standards).

18. Porsupah macrumors member

Porsupah

Is Apple actually replacing some models' batteries now? When I've used their battery replacement service in the past, they've simply swapped the device out for a new unit of the same model - so whilst their price is higher than third party providers, it'll also take care of other minor issues. (In my case, iffy WiFi on an iPhone 3G, in 2011, and a small chip in the corner of the bezel glass on an iPad Air last year)

19. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

Swapped a battery and LCD on my 6S today. Zero issues. Simple job. Battery cost me $10 from a reputable dealer. So far it’s holding up just fine. Probably no less of a battery than what Apple sells considering batteries aren’t exactly rocket science to make these days.

20. GrumpyMom Suspended

GrumpyMom

I was reading this post aloud to my daughter who has heard a snippet about the subject in current events at school and was asking me about what it’s all about. I like your post and I agree. But boy was it hard to read out loud, especially that second sentence. I got some giggles from my daughter and a flashback to “Fox in Socks” by Dr. Seuss. :D

21. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

The iPhone 4 series weren’t defective devices. Apple only began producing defective phones from the 6 on, the CPU and battery don’t get along, causing shutdowns where the phone cannot power back on until connected to a power source, then the battery is back where it was when it unexpectedly shut down. 4’s don’t do this, only the 6 and onward were made and sold defectively.

22. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

it's not voiding your warranty that is the issue it's that Apple will hand you back your phone and refuse to service it including swap it. for any price

and given that iFixIt is not a legal authority by any stretch I wouldn't trust their statement that apple can't do that. if you get refused, go talk to an actual lawyer. I'm sure if it's true said lawyer would love to make some serious ass bank suing the Frak out of Apple in a massive class action suit.
    no they weren't. the issue with the batteries is that they are worn out AF. how hard is that for folks to understand. they are not huge batteries and they wear out just like the battery in your car etc.
    this whole "apple can't do that" is a statement from a non legal source with a biased interest in convincing you that buying batteries from them is cool. go talk to an actual lawyer who deals in warranty law before you start up the pitchforks. Because Apple will laugh you out of their stores if you pitch a fit with "iFixit said you legally can't refuse me"

23. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Are you saying you know the OfficeMax batteries are better quality than the batteries that Apple gets? Neither Apple nor OfficeMax manufactures the batteries anyway... they both get them from someone else.

And the fact that OfficeMax is not an Apple Authorized Service Provider is a good reasons to be wary of using them.

What happens if OfficeMax screws up your phone? They can't give you a replacement from the backroom like an Apple Store can.

24. BurgDog macrumors regular

I'm saying I'd consider OfficeMax if they were offering a better battery than Apple. I'm waiting for someone to advertise a higher quality battery than Apple provides. Basically I'm not rejecting OfficeMax out of hand but I'd like more information on what they are providing. Apple is a safe bet but you just get a replacement battery with the same issues as the original.

25. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

A huge reason I see is that it covers the 5S! I’m about to replace 3 batteries: my 6S for free (recall), my wife’s 6 (cheap price from Apple), and my mom’s 5S (this deal).