Office Depot and OfficeMax Offering $28 Aftermarket iPhone Battery Replacements Until February

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2018.

1. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I have an old iPhone 6 as a spare with a slightly broken screen (crack on top edge), I know if I got to Apple they will force me to pay for a new screen before a battery swap, does anybody know Office Depot requires the same thing? If not this might be a good way to get new battery in it.

2. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Same day vs. five days, maybe more? Best way to save four days, maybe more. And yeah you also save a whole dollar.

So let's say you are replacing the battery on an iPhone 6. It's already three years old. Realistically, how much longer are you likely to own it, maybe another year? Two? So who really cares if the battery is OEM?

4. mac1984user, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Had my battery replaced yesterday by Apple. Can confirm it was the battery that was swapped, not the entire handset. The phone is the same.

I have an iPhone 6 and when they ran the diagnostic, my battery actually ‘failed’ the test. I’m sure they would have replaced the battery anyway, but there was little question with that result. In the end, it cost £25 and took about five hours due to the queue of people in front of me doing the same thing. I’m happy to have a smooth-running phone again and won’t be upgrading any time soon - which is exactly what Apple is likely concerned about.

While they may not have throttled CPUs specifically for the purpose of getting us all to buy new phones, they’ve got to be slightly bothered by the fact that we’re not upgrading due to slow phones. Oh well, their solution will be to make the iPhone 6 incompatible with the next iOS update...

5. justperry, Jan 13, 2018

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

You haven't proven anything, again, you're not an insider so you don't know.

Apple's AX Cpu's probably got to fast/powerfull that the batteries can't deliver that power after they degrade a bit, any battery degrades, who says it's not the best battery!

Did you follow the link to the other site?

How Sony, Microsoft, and Other Gadget Makers Violate Federal Warranty Law

6. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Agreed. Though Apple cannot meet demand, so people who cannot wait have to look at other options

7. Cordorb macrumors regular

Wow, now I can open my WD disk drive and look at the platters :) - Other than cat hair my room is clean -
    and they have to fix it for free -
    What are we going to do with all these VOID if removed stickers

8. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502

Yes I remember years ago people advertising replacement iPod batteries with 30% more capacity. Let’s hope something like that comes out. Also maybe Apple are trying to source better quality batteries, hence the delay until March/ April.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    This is Apple we’re talking about. They’re gonna make money even on replacements, and when it dies, they’re hoping you have to upgrade again.

So if anything, they’re more trying to source less costly batteries of the same quality.

10. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

So then Apple failed in testing by providing an inadequate battery to handle load properly.

The way you fix the “probably” above is with proper design and testing. It’s a known fact that batteries degrade so apple should have factored this in. The fact is they did not because it came as a surprise when phones where shutting off when they shouldn’t have. They had to issue a patch to resolve it, meaning it was not expected to do this. That’s a pure and simple fail.

11. reden macrumors 6502a

I hope you're joking.

12. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Yup, that might be the case, but, I didn't say Apple uses batteries of lesser quality, they might.
    Earlier on it was said Apple uses inferior quality batteries, I replied by: You don't know unless you
    are an insider, this doesn't mean he was right or wrong, maybe Apple did skimp on battery.

13. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

That's really the only upside I can see to this Office Depot and OfficeMax initiative.

Any device still under warranty, I'd leave it to Apple to replace the batteries, especially for that paltry buck diff.

14. eyeseeyou macrumors 68020

Still a good deal for the large amount of 6/6s iphone users who have phones that are out of warranty anyhow.

15. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I called several stores in Los Angeles. None of them had 5S batteries in stock. A manager told me they don’t plan on getting more and that headquarters had all stock of batteries and other repair items pulled from many stores in the area. He was aware of the web page offer and said they were puzzled.

16. ayasinsk, Jan 13, 2018

ayasinsk macrumors regular

Apple OEM battery is the best option because it is high quality. My original OEM battery in iPhone 6 Plus with 500 cycles was at 80% health. I replaced it with a battery from ifixit which is a reputable company. Well I’m at only 92 battery cycles and battery health is already down to 88%. And before going with ifixit I used a $13 battery from a reputable ebay seller and that battery was very bad and quickly would loose it’s charge. So using OEM Apple battery is the best option.

17. Kabeyun, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

This.
    Hey, that’s exactly what the Samsung hardware team said as they were designing the Galaxy Note 7.
    Going forward, please just post your flight schedule if you’re planning air travel with your “reputable” battery, including seat assignment.

18. AmazingRobie macrumors regular

Im actually not joking. The iphone 4 we have has had minimal use at best and the battery onit takes forever to charge and drains very quickly with wifi, bluetooth and cellular all turned off compared to our 3GS which was a generation before it and gets daily use. Weve decided to get an external battery case for it, but that is besides the point. The douche at an AT&T store upgraded it to a more current version of ios when the phone was in the care of my wife and now the battery issue is much worse, so no...not joking.

19. I7guy macrumors G5

My iPhone 4 is going on 8 years old and for an 8 year old iPod device battery life is great. That same battery life on a 2017 device however would be pathetic.

20. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Actually, the can still refuse to do the repair if the device is not under warranty, and can charge for a new battery for any other warranty repairs if the battery is the cause of the problem. The law quoted does not require a company to perform repairs out of warranty; nor cover any repairs not performed by n authorized service center.

21. WhiteHawk macrumors 6502

Not sure why you don’t get this, but there’s been 7 generations of iPhone since the iPhone 4 came out, that should be enough information for you to know you won’t get any more support for it.

22. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

You're a slight bit paranoid it seems. I'd highly recommend never flying at all if you are really that worried.

23. enkadrummer88 macrumors member

24. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

You’re a slight bit literal it seems. T’was just a joke, based on the history of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 battery, including the FAA banning them from flights.