Office for Mac 2011 Now Available

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 26, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Microsoft today announced that Office for Mac 2011 is now officially available, offering consumers a number of new features in the company's flagship productivity suite.
    Microsoft's Office for Mac site offers a tour of the new suite, as well as highlights of the changes included. One of the most significant changes is the replacement of Entourage with Outlook for managing email, calendars, and contacts. Outlook is included with Home & Business versions of Office 2011.

With today's launch, Amazon is offering significant discounts on Office for Mac 2011 packages:

- Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Student 2011 - Single License ($109.99)
    - Office Mac Home and Student 2011 - Family Pack (3 Licenses) ($129.99)

- Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011 - 1 Pack ($174.99)
    - Office Mac Home and Business 2011 - 2 License Pack ($239.99)

Note: Purchases through these links financially benefit this site.

Article Link: Office for Mac 2011 Now Available

2. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

Now do we all switch back? Let the beta testers decide for us...

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

From what I've read it seems like Microsoft is finally treating the Mac like it has a spot in the workplace. Compatibility between the Windows and Mac versions of Office seemed to be their highest priority this time.

I sometimes wonder if iWork isn't just a big Apple ruse that was designed to cause this.

4. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I've been using the final release version for the past two weeks and can tell you that it is totally worth it. Great update!

5. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Considering it's just as good as the Windows version, and much better than iWork or Open Office, I would say yes, we all switch back :p

6. babble macrumors member

"According to Wilfrid, three-quarters of all Mac users have Office installed on their machines."

Mmm... Okay, but who uses it?;)

7. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

Wish we'd see a macmail and ical update. I need more options when searching for past emails.

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Keynote would be the exception to your theory. Keynote is vastly superior to PowerPoint.

I personally use Word and Excel, pages and numbers aren't nearly as featured as Word and Excel. As I said above, Keynote is superior to PowerPoint though.

-Don

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nonsense. It's good, not great and certainly not 'Amazing'.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Also, these prices are amazing.

I remember when buying Office meant several hundred dollars. I can get Word on ALL THREE of my Macs for $130 today? Doesn't even seem real.

11. tripjammer macrumors 6502a

Is it available in Microsoft Tech Net plus subscription yet?

12. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I'm hoping to get it for $9.95. :)

I see Office 2008 for Mac on the Microsoft's HUP site, does anyone think/know if they will offer Office 2011 for Mac with MS's HUP?

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

14. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

Difference between Home and Business

What's the difference between HOME and BUSINESS?

15. rshanahan macrumors regular

Outlook no-synciee to Ical

Most know already, but Outlook only sync's contacts with Isync, so if you currently use Entourage now and have an I-device using Isync then you'll lose calendar syncing. I'm waiting to update.

I have looked at it and it is nice, but can't afford to lose calendar syncing to my ipod.

16. tivoboy macrumors 68040

no outlook

I really hate the fact that there is no 2 system pricing, WITH OUTLOOK for a reasonable amount of money. You want outlook, we need another 125$. You want it on your home mac and your portable, we need another 100$.

17. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Also, Messenger for Mac 8 is out of beta :) got it this morning from Microsoft's site.

MUCH better than the beta too!

18. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I've used beta 4 and currently using beta 6 and I can tell you it works fine. I like the ribbon interface and inserting equations and pictures don't mess up the formatting especially when you try to arrange pictures in word 2008. I'd definitely recommend.

19. TheWarIsNotOver macrumors member

So this means Messenger for Mac 8 is finally out! ;-)

20. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I've been really excited for Outlook for a long time, but I don't think it's worth another £80 over the Student Edition. That would have been worth the price for me, but without Outlook, I don't think it's worth me upgrading.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

Business includes Outlook and full Exchange support. Home does not.

22. davak macrumors member

Where are the beta?

I've been wanting to test some plugins on the beta versions but I couldn't find them on technet? Where are you guys finding the beta versions to test?

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Although I use the new Office 2011 I have to still give this article a negative because the Windows version still has a lot more included software like One Note, Info Path...etc...Microsoft has done a much better job with this release but it's still a dumbed down version. :(

24. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

Thank you that's what I thought but the article posted stated:
    "Outlook is included with Home & Business versions of Office 2011."

25. dpace32 macrumors regular

I was wondering the same... I just checked the site and it still shows Office 08.