Official Canadian iPhone Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chiggs, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Chiggs macrumors member

Wanted to create a thread to act as a user forumn for iPhone users in Canada. I have been using my unlocked iPhone for a week now and love it. Regarding the recent anouncment by Apple, i'm not worried at all. Even if my iphone can't be updated for a year, it's already so far advanced and ahead of any other phone I've ever used, I'll be happy with it until someone hacks the new firmware.

My question applies to the only issue I have with my iPhone - I cannot access the One Zone wireless zone in downtown Toronto. it works perfectly on my MacBoon but not on my iPhone. Anyone else have this issue?

How many other iPhone users out there in Canada. I count for 3 - mine, one I'm giving my wife this weekend for her birthday, and a friend who bought one yesterday after seeing mine...

2. Myles123 macrumors newbie

I'm from Montreal. I also use the iPhone with Rogers. As per now, I don't have a data plan but I'm planning to get one soon. My iPhone works flawlessly. Again, I will not update the firmware until several hackers have tested the new version.

Myles123

3. anfield11 macrumors regular

I'm in Ontario and unlocked mine 10 days ago and it's great. I wish Apple/Rogers had got their sh*t together and just introduced it for Canada to save all the messing around though....but I unlocked it as I can't see Rogers having it for a long long time.

4. Chiggs thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you 100% re: Rogers... I would purchase a legit iPhone in Canada in a heartbeat IF Rogers introduced the iPhone with a plan similar to what exists in the US or UK. I honestly believe that Rogers is playing hardball withtheir data plans and this is the reason Apple has not announced the iPhone in Canada. Other than some iTunes Music Store Feature and the first iPod Mini, Canada usually gets product at the same time as the US (at least over the past 5 years...)

5. extremis macrumors newbie

Sorry to piggy back but I have one major issue in Ontario, I got my iphone unlocked and I was able to use the WIFI the first day and now when I connect to WiFi I am either disconnected without notification or if I am connected I can't open a webiste can anyone help me please!!!!! It says not setup with EDGE, could not connect through EDGE?? Do I have to setup Edge to work or will this kick in the Rogers rates?

6. Ill Mitch macrumors member

Ill Mitch

My brother and I are going down to Buffalo on Thursday to get ourselves some iPhones, can't wait. :D

7. bshell macrumors newbie

bshell

Reporting from Vancouver

I got mine about 11 days ago. A refurbished 8GB including Washington state tax was $367, a bargain compared to previous phones (Nokia N80, and Sony/Ericsson P800) which cost over $500 each. It took me a while to unlock it, had to repeat a few steps, but now it's working very well on the Fido network. I love the Installer.app and all the wonderful applications that keep appearing. There is no question: this is the best smart phone I've ever had. Sold the N80 immediately and am only out a few bucks. No problems with WiFi at all. Compared to other wifi phones I've had this one rocks. It finds Wifi everywhere. I had it in Victoria for the weekend and a short stroll anywhere downtown is all it takes to check email. I have even updated my email once while waiting for a long red light in traffic in Vancouver! Remarkable. Edge actually works if you put in the Fido settings. Works great. But who can afford it? Rogers/Fido, please give us a reasonable data plan in Canada! You will make tons of money. Hundreds of thousands will subscribe to a $20/mo unlimited plan. What's the hold up?

8. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

It will be a while before Rogers offer iPhones. Look at their data plans, they will be loosing ALOT of money if they offer unlimited data for $20 US/CAN a month. Canada isn't know for consumer friendly cellular prices unfortunately. 3 year plans for subsidize phones instead of 2 years? I still remember the days when unlimited nights start at 6pm and I didn't have to pay extra for it.

9. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I've got an unlocked iPhone in the Vancouver area, Mission to be exact.

I love it and I really wish I could have everything legit but Apple and Rogers obviously don't want to work together or we'd at least have heard something.

10. bshell macrumors newbie

bshell

To spaceJello: If you consider the old law of supply and demand, lowering the price of a thing increases demand. In the case of wireless data rates in Canada, we currently have a very high price, hence most people do not use the data parts of their phone. (OK, maybe they do once, but after they see the bill, they make sure never to use it again.) Right now, I bet very few people are using data plans. As soon as Rogers/Fido opens it up by offering reasonable prices, they will get 10 or 100 times as many customers, and they will make MORE money, not less. I can't figure out why they are not doing this.

11. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

using my iPhone right now from Calgary Alberta on my Rogers account. I love it! There are a few people here who have the phone. It's becoming quite pppular here.

12. zeroMPHfallover macrumors newbie

I'm in Calgary, and I have an iPhone on the way.
    Any tips or advice? Anything to watch out for specific to Calgary/Rogers?

13. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I understand the law of supply and demand. Believe me, I have been a customer of Bell, Rogers, Fido, Cingular and AT&T.

However, I can't help but to question some business practices within Canadian cellular companies. I remember the days of 2 year contracts for a subsidized phone in Canada. Now if you want similar priced discounts, you would need a 3 year contract instead of the 2 year one. Wouldn't the law of supply and demand be that they should decrease or at least maintain the maximum of a 2 year lockdown as more and more people use cellphones, with more competition, when compared to people 5 years ago? Increasing the years, doesn't necessarily increase demand.

Similarly, this goes to the evening and weekend unlimited calling. I use to have an older Rogers contract that started at 6pm for unlimited evening calling. Today, it doesn't start until 8 if not 9pm. If you would want to have unlimited calling starting at 6pm, you would need to pay more $. Wouldn't that decrease demands for early unlimited calling or even new customers switching?

With that said, I feel that cellphone companies are constantly trying to milk us as much as they can, increasing charges and NOT decreasing it.

I have a friend using her dad's contract back from the late 80s. YES! It's that old. Unlimited calling for mere 15$ or so. She gets a laugh when sales people react in shock when she goes in to register a new UNLOCKED phone she got for the plan. They can't believe such plans even exist. The prices of cellular plans aren't decreasing. They are increasing.

If Bell Canada or Telus uses GSM, I am sure the iPhone would be in Canada now. Or if Fido wasn't allowed to be bought up by Rogers. The GSM network has become a monopoly.

On that note, is Indigo and other bookstores still charging the "CAN" price of the book instead of the "US" price?

14. bshell macrumors newbie

bshell

I have to agree with absolutely everything SpaceJello guy says above. Too true, and very sad. If only our Members of Parliament read this forum (and the many others that echo these sentiments). It's very sad. Also, probably the number one reason why Canada will be the last country to get the iPhone--without hacking it, that is.
    To the person from Calgary: don't worry. Just follow the directions on the many websites. You shouldn't have a problem. However, watch for which firmware you end up with. 1.1.1 is supposed to not work with the current unlocking schemes. You may find sites at that time that tell how to revert to older firmware setups, or something. I don't know. Keep your eyes on sites like: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=353612 where there is a list of sites showing how to unlock it.

15. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Nope, it's pretty damned simple. Just follow the unlock wiki instructions and you'll be fine.

16. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I'd like to add my 2 cents to this too.

I'm very disappointed that neither Apple or Rogers will even throw us (Canadians) a bone about the iPhone.

I emailed Rogers last week, stock response (I didn't really expect anything else really). Even if they were to say Q3 2008, it'd be something. But to say nothing at all is just ignorant.

I guess it's Apple, who are known for being tight-lipped and just cause we're geographically close to the US shouldn't mean anything, but it feels like we're just being ignored.

So, my plan, and what should be the plan of all Canadians that want an iPhone is that we should go and get one and run it unlocked. That way Apple gets money for it but Rogers (apart from the cheap monthly voice plan) gets the shaft. Use it on wi-fi only so that they make jack on data plans.

Then if they ever do come to Canada, and we choose to, we can go legit.

I agree with an earlier poster though when they said that Canadians obviously don't want data plans and that's why they're so expensive. But I'd have one if they *weren't* so damn expensive. I had a PocketPC for a couple of months and after practically no web browsing and normal email use, my bill was $350. I had a data plan ($80 for 25Mb) but it went over and I was charged $9/Mb after that. Even if we had legit iPhone's here, I couldn't afford that much a month.

So I don't expect them soon because Rogers aren't prepared to cut a deal with Apple that would see reasonable data rates and therefore iPhone sales.

Thanks to the Canadian Government, good job guys.

17. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

To vanmacguy, and everyone else not living in Toronto, how is the wifi network in your city? The times I have been in Toronto, the lack of free/paid wifi spots (when compared to other US cities) is staggering.

Aside from coffee shops like Starbucks that charges, there are few if any accessible wifi spots.

18. Patchfoo macrumors member

Obviously everyone using an iPhone in this thread is using it with Rogers like I plan to do, but what monthly plans do you use? I was just looking online and it appears like they only have less than 10 to choose from (which can't be true). Any suggestions?

19. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I believe I am using the $60-a-month plan. I think I have around 15 MB of free internet browsing. I know... it sucks certain parts of a male's anatomy. Although, I have done a bit of surfing today and I haven't even used 1 MB yet!

20. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Hi awsome thread...Thnxs. I just bought a unlocked iPhone today and am waiting on it to be sent. Is there anything I should know or any tips..I have iTunes 7.4 and will be getting iPhone 1.2 ? I won't be updateing either till I know its safe. Is anyone using Slingbox with the iPhone? I am very excited to finally be getting one...I just got the itouch tonight for my wife and am having a blast on it:) What version of itunes is safe? Is 7.4.2 safe?

21. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Why iPhone won't be coming to Canada anytime soon

:mad: Have you seen this recent Financial Times article on the state of cell phone industry in Canada? :mad:

The executive also adds "there's no one knocking at the door saying we want to come into Canada," a sentiment echoed by several financial analysts.

But foreign players already came knocking, yet lost patience waiting for the restrictions to be lifted. In 2004, U.S. players Verizon Communications Inc. and AT&T Wireless Services Inc. both sold their respective stakes -- 20.5% and 34.1% --of Telus Corp. and Rogers Wireless back to the parent companies.

T-Mobile, meanwhile, had a 15% stake in Microcell Telecommunications Inc., which Rogers bought out when it acquired the Fido provider in 2004.

22. DefCon65 macrumors newbie

Another Canuck iPhone here, way down east on the big island. I've had mine since before they were "unlockable" and unlocked since the day it became widely available. I agree with all here about Rogers, but it's much worse here in Newfoundland. basically the only place Rogers has coverage is St. John's/Mount Pearl. I don't use a Rogers data plan, just voice since data is so expensive so I stick to WiFi zones.

I did hear a very interesting rumor from a friend who works at Aliant (Bell) though. Seems that Telus (who uses Bell's network) is putting their own network infrastructure in place and plan to have it operational in Q1, 2008. This makes sense because their usage contract with Bell is apparently not being renewed next year when it expires.

But here's the kicker - he tells me he has heard from tech people that Telus's new network is going to be GSM and they have something like a $150 million "phone replacement fund" ready, I would guess to replace existing customer phones. Now I've never used Telus, but wouldn't that be a kick to Rogers - For Telus to announce a new GSM network and be the Canadian iPhone provider?

23. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

excellent. Keep all the Canadians in one thread so we can watch them and make sure they don't cause us any trouble!

24. Chiggs thread starter macrumors member

Plan...

I have a $20 per month Rogers plan available to me as an employee of my company. It has unlimited nights and weekends, 250 anytime minutes, call display and voice mail. I pay an extra $5.00 per month to have my evenings start at 6:00 pm instead of 9:00 pm and an extra $6.00 per month for a bunch of text messages... Oh yeah - almost forgot the $6.95 "we'll screw you because we can" System 'Access" fee. All in with tax it's just over $40 per month...

x2 for my wife's plan...

Had Rogers put data blocks on both plans because I refuse to pay their highway robbery data plan charges... (That's number two on my Canadian complain list after no legit ESPN...)

25. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    good thread

I'm going to wait for a bit, but it gives me hope that I can at least get one and unlock it if I wanted.