Official complete "Twilight" series thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DarkHeraldMage, Aug 21, 2008.

1. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Just thought that for my 500th post and official progression to a 6502a member, I'd start my own thread in honor of the glorious series of "Twilight" books. I've just finished the 4th and final book "Breaking Dawn" this week and searched the forums here only to find that nobody is discussing them at all. Is it true - can I be the only one obsessed? Add to that I'm male which puts me in the minority, but come on! :p

For the safety of browsers, I won't post any spoilers for any of the books in this first thread, but fair warning to all who read here...

There will be spoilers as the thread progresses, so go no further unless you intend to spoil the books for yourself - which I do not recommend!

I'd love to see this become an ongoing thread that includes conversation on observations and thoughts and unfulfilled dreams that just didn't come true by the end of the final book. It's pretty much a free-for-all, so let's have fun.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not going to read this thread anymore until I finish Breaking Dawn (which at this rate may be a while), but I <3 this series so much. Meyer is stunning. Her characters are so absorbing that, even though the plotline is kind of ridiculous, I just cannot put the books down and find myself daydreaming about the characters long after the books are done.

The Host was excellent too, in much the same way. The plot is even more completely absurd, and yet it's just so good. :)

3. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

My friend who has read "Twilight" about 2 dozen times and the rest of the books ("Breaking Dawn" being the only exception) a large number of times as well, has progressed over to "The Host" and she likes it so far. I may get there someday. I think first I'll reread the series though.

Looking forward to your return to the thread once you finish the book!

4. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I hate to try and revive my own thread, but I'm a little disappointed at the lack of turnout. I was hoping there'd actually be at least a few MR members who read/have read the "Twilight" books. I hope this doesn't end up being a dead-end thread.

5. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

umm...i tried reading the book and it's just entirely too girly for me :cool: but some of the ideas were pretty original.

6. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I thought so at first, and avoided reading them at first for the same reason. A close friend used to talk about them all the time and I just dismissed them, but shortly before the final book was released, she finally convinced me to give them a try. There were points where I felt it wasn't great, but overall the series was amazing. I'm so glad I finally read them.

7. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Time for this thread to come back to what little life it had.

Who's going to the midnight premiere tonight? I got my ticket a month ago and am going with a few friends tonight. Anyone else?

8. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

This series is amazing! Glad you made a thread about this!
    Some people I know are going to see it at midnight. I have the flu, so there is no way I could make it, because I have a ton of work to catch up on at work.
    Anyways, my friend nicely bought me a ticket to the Sat. night show, and I'm so pumped! Can't wait to see it, and I hope the rest of you enjoy the movie!

9. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

The flu? What kind of excuse is that? Would Bella let the flu keep her from Edward? ;) Hope you feel better and enjoy it Saturday.

10. BlackSnow macrumors regular

BlackSnow

I liked the series but not to the extreme some people like it. But I'm not going to see the movie. Eragon made me lose my faith in book based movies.

11. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I definitely don't see myself as one of the extremists, but I loved the book. While Eragon definitely didn't do its book justice, I'm hoping "Twilight" is different. I won't miss out on the movie on the mere chance that it won't be fantastic. I just have to keep telling myself that movies and books are separate genres, and can never be the exact same. There will be differences, and I'm going to try to embrace them instead of rebel against them.

12. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah those were pretty good books loved the stories sometimes it can get wayyyyyyyyy too hmm girly? to the point were I had to put the books down and take a break. I also read The Host, very different but just as good...can't wait for her new book whatever it is...

13. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

The books definitely had their girly moments, but that's just how it goes I guess. Girls were obviously the primary target audience, but I loved it just as much. I'm just not quite as obsessed as some girls get. Haven't read "The Host" but may do so soon. The list of books I'm reading is lengthy.

I really wish "Midnight Sun" were being worked on and eventually published, but it doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon, if ever. Bummer.

14. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Is it just me or do other people also think that they made a poor choice for Edward, or at least I don't think that he fits the mold that Meyer created for his character. I don't mean to criticize his acting abilities but appearance wise, I just don't think he fits.

I suppose I should wait until I watch the movie

By the way, the books were excellent.

15. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I think Edward's actor is prefect.

But the rest of the family wasn't the best choice......

Anyway, i've read all four books. I really didn't like Breaking Dawn that much. So much build up for an obvious and shallow ending.

My favourite is New Moon, but it seems to be everyone else's least favourite.

Oh, and i'm male :D

16. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I think Robert Pattinson is going to be great. Yeah, there may have been some others who might have looked the part a little more (even though I think he's quite great), but he's a phenomenal actor and the chemistry between him and Kristin Stewart is supposed to be flawless. I'm sure it will turn out to be great.

And I personally loved "Breaking Dawn". While the ending might have been predictable, the circumstances that brought it about and the situation that followed was great, and the last few pages made the whole series end on a note that I enjoyed.

17. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

18. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

Spoiler!!!!! DO NOT read if yo havent read breaking dawn....

ahhaha you think that about Edward and don't care to comment about Jacob on the subject??? lol

I think they got a proper Edward but i pictured Bella different and Emmett very very very different, I pictured him big and muscular not just the typical jock looking 210 pound dude...lol

19. djjclark macrumors regular

I sort of have a problem with the image of the vampire that is created in the books. Sure the overall group has some disadvantage but overcoming the human hunting aspect there appears to be no downside to being a vampire when seen from a high school age point of view. Who would want to be a human when you can have it all (beauty, strength, & eternal life) as a vampire with no real deterrents.

20. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I just got home from the midnight premiere and am of mixed opinions. The movie was great and the effects were not disappointing, contrary to what I feared would happen. It's obviously not the exact same as the book though, and that alone is going to be more than enough to phase some of the diehard fans. They'll go in expecting verbatim script and come out disappointed. There are some of the well known quotes thrown in, but scenes are changed and things stepped up to a faster pace. You don't have a whole book to watch them fall for each other - you have two hours. And not even that really since the bulk of the plot arises halfway through and they must establish a connection by that time or there's no point to the second half. I'd like to think it could've been better, but it started off with a budget of less than $40, so I'm pleased that they did what they could. I'll be seeing it again, with the hopes that the turnout on opening weekend will convince Summit that the fans are in this for the long haul and would love to see the rest of the books released on the big screen as well. And now...I'm going to collapse into bed.

21. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

just watche dteh movie, hmmmmmm satisfied with what i saw to be honest... they stuck to teh story pretty close..

22. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I would like to know from people who haven't read the book, what they thought about the movie. Because to me, it seems as if you haven't read the movie you wouldn't fully understand some of the plots.

And I totally picture Edward more confident, in the movie he seemed odd, always hunched over, etc.

23. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I agree with the confidence thing, I also really didn't like Eric, Tyler or Mike in the Movie, in the books they have I don;t know more weight..not that i like them much anyway..and I ve always thought Emmett's actor is way too small to play Emmett, and Rosalie,, (well, no nice way of putting this) isn't she supposed to be very very sexy??? I like her as an actress but Physicallys he reminds me too much of Joy's agent in The show Friends...(in the movie, i ve seen her in pictures and she seems very sexy I don't know what happened there, it may be just me anyways...I liked the girl that played Alice a looot... also am i the only one that thinks they completely overdid their pale make up? I understand they are supposed to be a lot paler than everyone else but there was scenes were you could see the crust on their faces,,w ay way way too overdone in my opinion.Specially the First scene Carlisle appears in, at teh hospital.. I have no problem with the story of the movie, but a syou can tell, Cast and make up didnt do very well for me...

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i did read all the books. they were pretty good. someone recommended them to me, since i liked harry potter and the eragon series.

but to me they were just too much of a love story for me. granted, they were good, and i don't regret reading them. but i think they could have been better

25. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I've convinced a lot of friends and family to read them, and that was the one complaint. They all loved the book, but oftentimes it got overly sappy. This was a complaint of mine as well, but I never felt that it ruined them, just slightly detracted from what could have been. I saw it for a second time last night and caught some things I hadn't seen the first time. I still enjoyed it though and look forward to the rest of the movies.