Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abaxworld

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
Thank you. I'm downloading the 10.13.5 from the AppStore and will try this solution. Hope it works.
[doublepost=1530116262][/doublepost]
First step completed. Now it is 0087. Will try to install now with startosinstall as it keeps saying this is not a Metal compatible GPU, but no firmware message anymore. Thank you very much.
[doublepost=1530118687][/doublepost]
Hi again. I'm checking different tutorials to install with startosinstall but it seems it has changed a lot as --volumes or --converttoapfs are not longer available. Or at least when I try it says "unrecognized option". The new man looks like this:

Arguments

--license, prints the user license agreement only.

--agreetolicense, agree to the license you printed with --license.

--rebootdelay, how long to delay the reboot at the end of preparing. This delay is in seconds and has a maximum of 300 (5 minutes).

--pidtosignal, Specify a PID to which to send SIGUSR1 upon completion of the prepare phase. To bypass "rebootdelay" send SIGUSR1 back to startosinstall.

--installpackage, the path of a package (built with productbuild(1)) to install after the OS installation is complete; this option can be specified multiple times.

--eraseinstall, (Requires APFS) Erase all volumes and install to a new one. Optionally specify the name of the new volume with --newvolumename.

--newvolumename, the name of the volume to be created with --eraseinstall.

--usage, prints this message.

So if I want to install in a different hard drive and with HFS+, what I should type?

Thank you in advanced.

I have finally been able to install macOS Mojave Public Beta using the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 after upgrading the firmware with the Nvidia Quadro 4000. Now the problem is that the system doesn't recognize the Nvidia Quadro, so it seems they have removed the drivers or something. Any fix for this? I have read somewhere that I should remove a file or something like, but don't remember which. Thank you.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi again. I'm checking different tutorials to install with startosinstall but it seems it has changed a lot as --volumes or --converttoapfs are not longer available. Or at least when I try it says "unrecognized option". The new man looks like this:

Arguments

--license, prints the user license agreement only.

--agreetolicense, agree to the license you printed with --license.

--rebootdelay, how long to delay the reboot at the end of preparing. This delay is in seconds and has a maximum of 300 (5 minutes).

--pidtosignal, Specify a PID to which to send SIGUSR1 upon completion of the prepare phase. To bypass "rebootdelay" send SIGUSR1 back to startosinstall.

--installpackage, the path of a package (built with productbuild(1)) to install after the OS installation is complete; this option can be specified multiple times.

--eraseinstall, (Requires APFS) Erase all volumes and install to a new one. Optionally specify the name of the new volume with --newvolumename.

--newvolumename, the name of the volume to be created with --eraseinstall.

--usage, prints this message.

So if I want to install in a different hard drive and with HFS+, what I should type?

Thank you in advanced.
First you have to disable SIP, after you disable, the complete options will show on the help.

Edit: Oops, cdf already answered.

abaxworld

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
First you have to disable SIP, after you disable, the complete options will show on the help.

Edit: Oops, cdf already answered.
Thank you anyway. May I try this way as it never ends installing using the other method.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
EDIT: apparently, we CAN blindly install OSX w/ our RX 580s (and the like). I always thought that it wasn't possible. Maybe I was correct about previous versions of OSX / the old firmware. Anyway, that's good news: no need to buy a GT 120 replacement (yet).

Here's the problem: we still might need to buy a Metal-compatible flashed card to use for installations / troubleshooting, as the GT 120 (or other older genuine cards)—which I use solely for that purpose aforementioned—allegedly, won't even let the installer continue. Alternatively, I could install from a supported AIO Mac, via Target Disk Mode, but I'd need a Tb—>FW800 adapter. I have an RX 580 as my main, but, of course, it's not flashed for Mac.

I was hoping that my GT 120 or stock Radeon card could at least let me do the installation, but it might not be possible. Granted, I have yet to try; this is here-say.
[doublepost=1530130787][/doublepost]
I have finally been able to install macOS Mojave Public Beta using the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 after upgrading the firmware with the Nvidia Quadro 4000. Now the problem is that the system doesn't recognize the Nvidia Quadro, so it seems they have removed the drivers or something. Any fix for this? I have read somewhere that I should remove a file or something like, but don't remember which. Thank you.

How did you install OSX with a non-flashed 1060 (or, did you somehow flash one)?
[doublepost=1530130927][/doublepost]
This is a very good news to me indeed. Everything to going to the direction that I want.

I am planing to build a gaming PC but also able to serve as a Hackintosh (as backup) which take up my current 1080Ti. And then I will put in a RX580 in the cMP to enjoy a trouble free macOS daily usage. So that the new PC can do all the video encoding by the 1080Ti in Windows.

And I will be able to do all the video editing on the cMP at the same time with the RX580. This hardware decode / encode ability should make the cMP fly in FCPX.

However, there still quite a few months away from 10.14 officially release. I will wait for a bit loner, and see if the Vega can even do better. I have the budget, but just hesitate to go Vega because those fan issue etc. Pixlas mod has been done. So power is not an issue at all. Everything is ready except the software from Apple.
[doublepost=1530062316][/doublepost]

That's super strange, even Preview can use hardware decode, but a video editing apps cannot.

AFAIK, iMovie is update to support HEVC. I doubt how those paper thin MacBook can handle it if no hardware acceleration available.

Hopefully it's just some beat issue. The support is on the way.

I still boot into Windows on my Mac Pro, for games, but I'm going to see if I can get some cheap used parts for some Dell of mine (which houses the 1060 I used to use in my Mac Pro). The Dell would be for games and would keep me from needing to have a Windows disk in my Mac Pro; and, the cMP already serves as a super smooth, fast daily-driver, with its RX 580 8GB. I love this card!

Only, it's odd how Apple doesn't acknowledge the fact that not a single card on its supported list can be used for the firmware update. Thankfully, you can apparently install Mojave 'blindly,' with a non-flashed card (such as the RX 580 I am using). I am unsure as to whether or not that's a new feature; but, nonetheless, it's relieving: no need for me to buy extra parts. (In the past, I've done installations by popping in the ol' GT 120. That's no-good for Mojave, though.)

Last edited:

thomasthegps

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
France
Here's the problem: we still might need to buy a Metal-compatible flashed card to use for installations / troubleshooting, as the GT 120 (or other older genuine cards)—which I use solely for that purpose aforementioned—allegedly, won't even let the installer continue. Alternatively, I could install from a supported AIO Mac, via Target Disk Mode, but I'd need a Tb—>FW800 adapter. I have an RX 580 as my main, but, of course, it's not flashed for Mac.

I was hoping that my GT 120 or stock Radeon card could at least let me do the installation, but it might not be possible. Granted, I have yet to try; this is here-say.

How did you install OSX with a non-flashed 1060 (or, did you somehow flash one)?

If you have the 085 boot rom, there is no need for a flashed card. The RX 580 will do just fine. Create a USB Mojave installer. Turn off the Mac Pro. Plug in the USB key. Turn on the Mac Pro and press and hold the button "c" on your keyboard. You won't see anything on the screen at first, but don't worry after a while the installer will appear.

Reactions: mbosse

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
If you have the 085 boot rom, there is no need for a flashed card. The RX 580 will do just fine. Create a USB Mojave installer. Turn off the Mac Pro. Plug in the USB key. Turn on the Mac Pro and press and hold the button "c" on your keyboard. You won't see anything on the screen at first, but don't worry after a while the installer will appear.

Oh, wow—has that always been the case? Because, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever tried installing OSX without a flashed card. (Also, is that boot ROM associated with the HS firmware update? Because, I have installed that update and currently run High Sierra.)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
From a purely technical point of view, exactly how difficult would it be for Apple to move the EFI off the cards and into Apple's ROM? By that I mean a cut-down, purely functional universal 2D EFI that would provide for a boot screen selector and boot/update screen with any 'modern' graphics card?

DOS did it back in the day and you got a basic output with a minimum of resources. Are things that much more complex today?

thomasthegps

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
France
From a purely technical point of view, exactly how difficult would it be for Apple to move the EFI off the cards and into Apple's ROM? By that I mean a cut-down, purely functional universal 2D EFI that would provide for a boot screen selector and boot/update screen with any 'modern' graphics card?

DOS did it back in the day and you got a basic output with a minimum of resources. Are things that much more complex today?

I'm not sure which method they would use, but my thinking is that if Apple really wanted to give us boot screens and 5GT/sec, they could easily do it.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I'm not sure which method they would use, but my thinking is that if Apple really wanted to give us boot screens and 5GT/sec, they could easily do it.

My question following that would be why Apple decided on the model it had adopted? This only reduces the number of graphics cards open to Mac Pro owners and inflates the price, keeping the Mac Pro further out of reach. Doesn't make sense. There was a time Apple courted both gamers and businesses. That was the time to move the EFI at the very latest.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I wonder whether the Apple engineers tasked with keeping the cMP alive in 2018 are enthusiast about it? Or cursing their manager?

Maybe they are recent-ish college grads who never even used a cMP in their life :p

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I wonder whether the Apple engineers tasked with keeping the cMP alive in 2018 are enthusiast about it? Or cursing their manager?

Maybe they are recent-ish college grads who never even used a cMP in their life :p

My guess is product management has decided they want to piss off Mac Pro users as little as possible.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
My guess is product management has decided they want to piss off Mac Pro users as little as possible.
I'm wondering about the software folks actually doing the head-scratching work

abaxworld

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
EDIT: apparently, we CAN blindly install OSX w/ our RX 580s (and the like). I always thought that it wasn't possible. Maybe I was correct about previous versions of OSX / the old firmware. Anyway, that's good news: no need to buy a GT 120 replacement (yet).

[doublepost=1530130927][/doublepost]

I still boot into Windows on my Mac Pro, for games, but I'm going to see if I can get some cheap used parts for some Dell of mine (which houses the 1060 I used to use in my Mac Pro). The Dell would be for games and would keep me from needing to have a Windows disk in my Mac Pro; and, the cMP already serves as a super smooth, fast daily-driver, with its RX 580 8GB. I love this card!

Only, it's odd how Apple doesn't acknowledge the fact that not a single card on its supported list can be used for the firmware update. Thankfully, you can apparently install Mojave 'blindly,' with a non-flashed card (such as the RX 580 I am using). I am unsure as to whether or not that's a new feature; but, nonetheless, it's relieving: no need for me to buy extra parts. (In the past, I've done installations by popping in the ol' GT 120. That's no-good for Mojave, though.)
The installer in macOS High Sierra just allowed me to continue with the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 after installing the right firmware with the Nvidia Quadro 4000. But after installing, the system freezes before getting to the main configuration screen. I tried with Terminal and the command startosinstall but unfortunately it happens just the same, it stops before getting the first configuration screen. So seems there is no more support for the Nvidia Quadro 4000 inside macOS Mojave. I have bought one of the recommended GPU, MSI Radeon RX 560 and will check with it as soon as I receive it on Monday to see if it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: PowerMac G4 MDD

thomasthegps

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
France
My question following that would be why Apple decided on the model it had adopted? This only reduces the number of graphics cards open to Mac Pro owners and inflates the price, keeping the Mac Pro further out of reach. Doesn't make sense. There was a time Apple courted both gamers and businesses. That was the time to move the EFI at the very latest.

Apple has always wanted to have a tight grip on what people can do with their products. The way I see it is that Apple wanted Mac Pro owners to have the ability to upgrade, but in a way that apple could control, hence EFI GPUs (You can only use official Apple approved cards.)

The problem is that Apple only offered the GTX 680 and AMD 7950, which leaves no room for future upgrades and In my opinion renders the Mac Pro a bad investment for anyone serious about doing work.

For their next iteration of the Mac Pro, they should probably get an EFI compatible with off the shelf GPUs, if they are really listening to the pros. Giving us boot screens and 5GT/sec on the cMP would be a good gesture and would probably please potential clients looking to upgrade in 2019...

Reactions: mbosse

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I'm wondering about the software folks actually doing the head-scratching work

Dunno. I'm sure they want to do the right thing for customers, regardless of how much of a problem it is. They're paid money to worry about it.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
I was able to install Mojave PB1 on my 5,1 with my GT-120 installed using the startosinstall method to get around the "All cards must support Metal, Blah, Blah, Blah". Took less than 10 minutes to clean install on a SM951 512GB AHCI SSD. Of course my 1080 TI's have no driver and the GT-120 has no acceleration but the install was clean and fast. Now I just need to wait for the Nvidia driver for 10.14.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Apple has always wanted to have a tight grip on what people can do with their products. The way I see it is that Apple wanted Mac Pro owners to have the ability to upgrade, but in a way that apple could control, hence EFI GPUs (You can only use official Apple approved cards.)

The problem is that Apple only offered the GTX 680 and AMD 7950, which leaves no room for future upgrades and In my opinion renders the Mac Pro a bad investment for anyone serious about doing work.

For their next iteration of the Mac Pro, they should probably get an EFI compatible with off the shelf GPUs, if they are really listening to the pros. Giving us boot screens and 5GT/sec on the cMP would be a good gesture and would probably please potential clients looking to upgrade in 2019...

In fact, I was very surprised that recommended GPU list is not the GTX 680 Mac Edition card and the HD7950 Mac Edition card. These two cards are the only official cards on the world that has Mac EFI and Metal support.
[doublepost=1530142869][/doublepost]
I was able to install Mojave PB1 on my 5,1 with my GT-120 installed using the startosinstall method to get around the "All cards must support Metal, Blah, Blah, Blah". Took less than 10 minutes to clean install on a SM951 512GB AHCI SSD. Of course my 1080 TI's have no driver and the GT-120 has no acceleration but the install was clean and fast. Now I just need to wait for the Nvidia driver for 10.14.

This is good to know, exactly fit my prediction. The GT120's Mac EFI will always work as long as no driver to take over.

Anyway, you use the terminal method to make a clean installation 10.14 on to a blank drive?

Do you mind to share the exact command you used?

It seems some other members here has a little bit difficulty to get the command right.
[doublepost=1530142928][/doublepost]
Oh, wow—has that always been the case? Because, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever tried installing OSX without a flashed card. (Also, is that boot ROM associated with the HS firmware update? Because, I have installed that update and currently run High Sierra.)

Yes, it's always like that as long as you use an OOTB card (driver included in the installer / OS). In fact, even USB installer is redundant if you have a working recovery partition. Non EFI OOTB card can always boot to recovery partition and perform a clean OS installation in the 100% native way.
[doublepost=1530143164][/doublepost]

I really don't know how hard for Apple to give us basic display support via firmware upgrade. OF inject something into the EFI partition (like what Clover / rEFInd does). If that happen because they now recommend us use non Mac EFI card, it will be an extremely good new for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbosse and bsbeamer

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
This is good to know, exactly fit my prediction. The GT120's Mac EFI will always work as long as no driver to take over.

Anyway, you use the terminal method to make a clean installation 10.14 on to a blank drive?

It seems some other members here has a little bit difficulty to get the command right.

Yes, this was a clean install of 10.14 on a blank SSD.

I also had a little trouble finding the exact method to install here on Mac Rumors. So, I did a little Googling and came up with this which worked perfect. Several people mentioned the "startosinstall" method but never included the actual command. =(

I did the install while booted to my main High Sierra drive. No optical disk or USB stick involved.

I first formatted my blank SSD to APFS (I like APFS) and named it Mojave. (Maybe not necessary ?)

Then just did this:

1. Download the MacOS Mojave PB1 installer from the App Store as usual, making sure it’s in the /Applications/ directory.

2. Open the Terminal application, found in /Applications/Utilities/

3. Enter the following command syntax in Terminal at the command line prompt: (copy & paste)

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Mojave

If your Volume is not called Mojave, like mine, just change the name to match.

Once I found the actual command syntax it was very simple and fast. Less than 10 minutes to install for me on fast M2 blades.

It worked perfect for me. Good luck to you all.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I also had a little trouble finding the exact method to install here on MR. So I did a little Googling and came up with this which worked perfect.

I first formatted my blank SSD to APFS and named it Mojave. Then just followed this.

1. Download the MacOS Mojave PB1 installer from the App Store as usual, making sure it’s in the /Applications/ directory.

2. Open the Terminal application, found in /Applications/Utilities/

3. Enter the following command syntax at the command line prompt:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Mojave

If your Volume is not called Mojave, like mine, just change the name to match.

Once I found the actual command it was very simple and fast.

Million thanks for creating this post. Bookmarked.

Once 10.14 officially released, and if any members has difficulty to install the OS. I will put this link into the sticky post (of course, assuming the same command still work) :D

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
In fact, I was very surprised that recommended GPU list is not the GTX 680 Mac Edition card and the HD7950 Mac Edition card. These two cards are the only official cards on the world that has Mac EFI and Metal support.
[doublepost=1530142869][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1530142928][/doublepost]

Yes, it's always like that as long as you use an OOTB card (driver included in the installer / OS). In fact, even USB installer is redundant if you have a working recovery partition. Non EFI OOTB card can always boot to recovery partition and perform a clean OS installation in the 100% native way.
[doublepost=1530143164][/doublepost]

I really don't know how hard for Apple to give us basic display support via firmware upgrade. OF inject something into the EFI partition (like what Clover / rEFInd does). If that happen because they now recommend us use non Mac EFI card, it will be an extremely good new for us.

Thanks for the information! I guess I've had so many different GPUs, I hadn't taken the time to realize what certain ones can do that others cannot. I began with using EFI cards for installations and never really investigated further, upon getting my RX 580. I'm looking forward to installing!

(Yeah, I am also surprised that Apple didn't mention that the 680 and 7950 are also supported.)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Where is this list of Apple’s recommended cards that everyone keeps mentioning? Is everyone simply referring to the 2 cards Apple listed on the public beta page? That hardly constitutes a list.

I believe so. At least that's my own understanding. Because I don't know any other official info has any specific model mentioned.

And sorry to use the word "list" if that created unnecessary confusion :p

Reactions: MisterAndrew
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.