Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Is anyone still selling either card? Maybe Apple's list is recomending commercially available cards only.
They may not be available for purchase, but they're the only "official" PCIe cards for Macs that support Metal, and they probably equip a lot of Mac Pros. So it's surprising that Apple has listed a pair of random PC cards that currently do not support boot screen instead of those.

Reactions: mbosse

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Is anyone still selling either card? Maybe Apple's list is recomending commercially available cards only.

Yeah, that's what Apple is doing. Although, they should assume that users have older cards. It's odd, in general—definitely not something which would be seen with a non-Pro product.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
The PC cards that officially work with eGPU are less limited than the published list for MacPro. Is that just a Beta limitation for MacPro? Is there an eGPU compatibility list for Mojave available?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

I get that some of these are not listed because of power requirements. And some are not very easy to power internally.

Why the restriction to those two brands/models? I know no one here has an answer, but it’s puzzling.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
The PC cards that officially work with eGPU are less limited than the published list for MacPro. Is that just a Beta limitation for MacPro? Is there an eGPU compatibility list for Mojave available?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

I get that some of these are not listed because of power requirements. And some are not very easy to power internally.

Why the restriction to those two brands/models? I know no one here has an answer, but it’s puzzling.

Yep. Why no recommended 570? Pulse has a 570. It's not good enough?

Unfortunately I can see Apple going two ways with this, the best option is that the specific cards they list somehow produce a boot screen , not holding my breath.

More than likely Apple will just say "recommended" based on the GPU compatibility with 2010-2012 Mac Pro, with no enhanced compatible for eGPU and the like. I have no insight obviously but I just feel like, you know, we've known about Pulse 580 specifically for over a year now. I feel like boot screen compatibility would have dropped with the "official" eGPU release 10.13.4 . I know it would require lots of changes.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Yeah, that's what Apple is doing. Although, they should assume that users have older cards. It's odd, in general—definitely not something which would be seen with a non-Pro product.

keep in mind OS X Mojave is in beta right now

and if you remember eGPU support was much the same with just 1 Card being officially supported until they made eGPUs stable/public with 10.13.4 where they also announced an extensive list of cards supported by Apple for eGPU use

im hoping the same sort of thing happens with the MP5,1 :)

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
im hoping the same sort of thing happens with the MP5,1 :)

I really hope you're right. It sounds reasonable enough, plus the positive thinking makes a nice change. It's been so long since I saw a glass half full, I'm beginning to forget what one looks like. All the ones I see are half empty.

Cheers,

Razzerman

Reactions: LightBulbFun

jlhinte

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2018
Looks like Apple finally updated their page with the advent of the Mojave PB :D (its interesting how they say "including" I wonder if they plan to add more options? also I guess apple officially supports the use of PC cards in 5,1s now... esp as the RX 560 is not supported as an eGPU with OS X)

View attachment 767726
[doublepost=1530190854][/doublepost]I have a Mid 2010 with ATI Radeon HD 5770 cards. The Apple PB installer said i needed Metal compatible cards. I want to find two cards capable of running Mojave. Although the new iMac Pro almost made it home with me yesterday.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Apple never recommended (and therefore tested) all the myriad other cards people have been using in their cheese graters. They never prohibited it, but they would likely never officially recognize it either. Apple is very conservative. They want you using their own hardware wherever possible, and if not then they have very strict requirements for third party hardware that they would actually recommend (certainly for something as critical to a Mac as a GPU).

So the list of recommended cards may not be any bigger than the two they've already recommended. Other cards may work, but I kind of doubt Apple will specifically call them out.

The upshot of this (I continue to hope) is that Apple may do something (cMP firmware update? or card firmware update?) that allows those two cards to function in the preboot environment, so FileVault, Recovery Partition, Boot Camp, etc. No guarantees (and it's still possible they reverse course and remove the cMP 5,1 from the compat list entirely). But I actually think the small list of recommended cards is an encouraging sign on that front.

Reactions: mbosse

abaxworld

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
Let us know how the Quadro 4000 works out. It looks like Mojave has drivers for it.
I’m afraid, no drivers for Nvidia Quadro 4000 in Mojave, or at least I haven’t been able to make it works.
[doublepost=1530195428][/doublepost]
The installer in macOS High Sierra just allowed me to continue with the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 after installing the right firmware with the Nvidia Quadro 4000. But after installing, the system freezes before getting to the main configuration screen. I tried with Terminal and the command startosinstall but unfortunately it happens just the same, it stops before getting the first configuration screen. So seems there is no more support for the Nvidia Quadro 4000 inside macOS Mojave. I have bought one of the recommended GPU, MSI Radeon RX 560 and will check with it as soon as I receive it on Monday to see if it works.
Have received the new GPU today ( thanks, Amazon ) and it works perfectly with Mojave!! I bought the cheapest official option just in case it didn’t work but it does and really fast, so I’m going to exchange it for the Sapphire option as I need more power in my work. For a first beta, Mojave really works fast.

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
I’m afraid, no drivers for Nvidia Quadro 4000 in Mojave, or at least I haven’t been able to make it works.
[doublepost=1530195428][/doublepost]
Have received the new GPU today ( thanks, Amazon ) and it works perfectly with Mojave!! I bought the cheapest official option just in case it didn’t work but it does and really fast, so I’m going to exchange it for the Sapphire option as I need more power in my work. For a first beta, Mojave really works fast.
Keep us updated if the rx 560 sapphire pulse works in your Mac Pro, I have one as well but I’m hesitant to update

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Note that there are several Quadro cards with 4000 in their names.
  • Quadro 4000 (Fermi)
  • Quadro K4000 (Kepler)
  • Quadro M4000 (Maxwell)
  • Quadro P4000 (Pascal)
The "Quadro 4000 for Mac" is a Fermi card.

Reactions: frou

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Question for those that have installed Mojave beta with the recommended/compatible GPU (Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5):
Have you tried using another (non-recommended) card in the system AFTER the beta install?

Seeing reports of some 6xx and 7xx series NVIDIA cards working with Mojave, but I assume those lack hardware acceleration and likely make for a very poor user experience.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Question for those that have installed Mojave beta with the recommended/compatible GPU (Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5):
Have you tried using another (non-recommended) card in the system AFTER the beta install?

Seeing reports of some 6xx and 7xx series NVIDIA cards working with Mojave, but I assume those lack hardware acceleration and likely make for a very poor user experience.

Both the 6XX and 7XX support Metal acceleration and will provide an accelerated experience out of the box.

Apple’s list is not exaustive so other cards will work fine. The recommended ones are just the ones you can still buy new today.

Reactions: MisterAndrew

MriX

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
Germany
I have installed Mojave PB1 on my Mac Pro 5,1 with a MSI Nvidia GT730 (Kepler Edition) and it works perfectly.
The card is shown as feature set GPUFamiliy1 v4

Reactions: karsten

JimmyjamesEU

Suspended
Jun 28, 2018
Great News!!

I just installed the Mojave public beta, HEVC 4k 60fps decoding is now enabled on my RX 580. I can now playback HEVC 4K 60FPS in QuickTime with very low cpu usage !!! It's super smooth!

f306a6s.jpg
That's great news! I know you said you tried iMovie to see if decode was enabled there, could you also try exporting a file from QuickTiime X? If you go to "Export" and choose 1080p or 4k and tick the "use hevc" option, it should give us an indication if hardware accelerated encode is enabled too.

It would be amazing if this were enabled, and would give my 2010 MP a shot in the arm!

Many thanks.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
That's great news! I know you said you tried iMovie to see if decode was enabled there, could you also try exporting a file from QuickTiime X? If you go to "Export" and choose 1080p or 4k and tick the "use hevc" option, it should give us an indication if hardware accelerated encode is enabled too.

It would be amazing if this were enabled, and would give my 2010 MP a shot in the arm!

Many thanks.

That could seriously get me to switch to AMD with FCPX/Compressor and leave Adobe with NVIDIA for at least part of my workflow.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Well I got tired waiting for Nvidia to release a web driver for Mojave PB1. :D

So with a little googling I found a hack to allow the High Sierra driver to install in Mojave.

My 1080 TI's are now working in Mojave. Not optimized of course, but working. As this is just a beta OS I'm not using it for real work but it's fun to play with.

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 11.43.18 AM.png

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Well I got tired waiting for Nvidia to release a web driver for Mojave PB1. :D

So with a little googling I found a hack to allow the High Sierra driver to install in Mojave.

My 1080 TI's are now working in Mojave. Not optimized of course, but working. As this is just a beta OS I'm not using it for real work but it's fun to play with.

View attachment 768132

HDMI audio?

joebclash

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
I have installed Mojave PB1 on my Mac Pro 5,1 with a MSI Nvidia GT730 (Kepler Edition) and it works perfectly.
The card is shown as feature set GPUFamiliy1 v4

Do you know what cards are considered Kepler?

Last edited:

thomasthegps

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
France

Many thanks.

The decoder doesn't seem stable yet, from time to time it switches back to the cpu. If I pause the first video playing and then play a second one usually the app reverts back to cpu decoding, it stays that way even if I close the second video and play the first one. Closing VLC or Quicktime and then reopening it fixes the issue.

As for the encoder it fails when I export HEVC with Quicktime "the operation could not be completed an unknown error occurred..." Same goes for the default option (I think it's x264). Reopening quicktime doesn't change that.

There's a DVD maker app on Mac OS (can't remember the name) but it provides info on decode/encode capabilities. For some reason it does not detect any decoding

With the next few releases we'll see how serious Apple is about enabling HEVC decode/encode...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.