Official™ "WTF??!! No Merom MBP's today?" thread

alFR

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2006
2,453
452
There'll be no updates until MWSF, I reckon. Why? Well, the Intel macs have had a few high-profile issues (regardless of the actual number of units affected, you can't deny that there's been a lot of noise made about RSD, hot MBPs etc.). I think Apple will want to ensure that the next generation don't suffer the same problems. So, why drop new processors (with, as has already been pointed out, only minimal performance increases) into the existing logic boards which are then (presumably) going to be redesigned over the next few months around Santa Rosa? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and just announce new, fully bug-fixed models with C2D, Santa Rosa and Leopard early next year? That would give them another 4 months (approx.) development/testing time.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
alFR said:
There'll be no updates until MWSF, I reckon. Why? Well, the Intel macs have had a few high-profile issues (regardless of the actual number of units affected, you can't deny that there's been a lot of noise made about RSD, hot MBPs etc.). I think Apple will want to ensure that the next generation don't suffer the same problems. So, why drop new processors (with, as has already been pointed out, only minimal performance increases) into the existing logic boards which are then (presumably) going to be redesigned over the next few months around Santa Rosa? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and just announce new, fully bug-fixed models with C2D, Santa Rosa and Leopard early next year? That would give them another 4 months (approx.) development/testing time.
Santa Rosa is said to be out in April, so that is more than enough time for them. Meanwhile their sales are going to tank, especially for their high margin laptops (mind you, laptop sales are second only to iPod sales).

Not going to happen, the shareholders would have Steve lynched before he can all of a sudden make a commitment to quality.
 

alFR

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2006
2,453
452
The latest release estimates I've seen for Santa Rosa are Q1 2007, which to me means Jan-March. I see what you mean about the shareholders, but all those Macbook/MBP repairs for various issues (about 20% of those sold, according to macintouch) aren't free, are they?
 

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
724
0
United Kingdom
iGary said:
4. If you need a computer today to make a living, do schoolwork or, something critical, get it. I didn't do a bunch of rumour site wandering and running around when I bougt my last two machines - I needed them to do work. If you're not in that camp, fine, but good gracious, I've never seen this board so lathered up over a small chip enhancement.
No offence, but sod that. If you think I'm going to go out and pay for a new computer that should be replaced in days then you're mad. I made that mistake when I joined the Apple camp and bought the last PowerBook Ti about 2-months before it was replaced with the Aluminium PowerBook that came with a slightly faster processor (OK, not much difference), faster memory, better graphics and stuff like Bluetooth built-in. The update that Merom brings might not deliver much advancements but I'm not about to take that risk again. When I hand over the cash (and, let's be fair to it, it'll be quite a lot) I expect to get the latest kit and not something that will be obsolete next week.

It's been over 9-months since the MacBook Pro was announced, the iMac that was announced at the same time has already been updated, so there is not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd buy now regardless of how much I need to replace my current PowerBook.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
alFR said:
The latest release estimates I've seen for Santa Rosa are Q1 2007, which to me means Jan-March. I see what you mean about the shareholders, but all those Macbook/MBP repairs for various issues (about 20% of those sold, according to macintouch) aren't free, are they?
Not Q1, but H1, which means it is anytime between Jan to June. Seeing as to how Intel supposedly pushed it from Q1 to H1 even the most optimistic estimates would put it at April.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,684
1
LaLaLand, CA
Well, Apple was going to release them Tuesday morning, but now they're going to wait until Wed, or possibly even next week. Why? Just to piss you off. :D
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,415
124
Location Location Location
They were never going to introduce a minor, minor update to their laptop line during a camera and printer event. I am hoping for a Nikon D50s and Canon 1Ds Mk III or something just to see the specs, and you're all waiting for a speed bump at something aimed towards photographers?

I expected a nice Aperture update, and possible a good LCD screen update (possibly something bigger than 30"), and that's the sort of thing you should expect from Apple at a photography event.

This is what you get for listening to too many baseless rumours regarding Photokina. :p I understand that you all want Merom to arrive on the MBP, but this wasn't the event that it was going to happen. You're more likely to see a MBP update on a random Tuesday than at an event like this, particularly Tuesdays 1 or 2 weeks after events like this. ;)

whooleytoo said:
Is Merom the new PowerBook G5? :confused: ;)
And the PowerBook G5s was the next Aluminium 15" PowerBook (the wait was 9 fracking months for the 15" to go from Ti to Aluminium).
 

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
3,722
13
Washington, DC
Kelmon said:
No offence, but sod that. If you think I'm going to go out and pay for a new computer that should be replaced in days then you're mad. I made that mistake when I joined the Apple camp and bought the last PowerBook Ti about 2-months before it was replaced with the Aluminium PowerBook that came with a slightly faster processor (OK, not much difference), faster memory, better graphics and stuff like Bluetooth built-in. The update that Merom brings might not deliver much advancements but I'm not about to take that risk again. When I hand over the cash (and, let's be fair to it, it'll be quite a lot) I expect to get the latest kit and not something that will be obsolete next week.
Dude, things tend to ALWAYS be obsolete next week. You could spend an eternity waiting for the next big thing. I mean, if you can wait, that's great. But if you're waiting on something and losing money by working on an older slower laptop when a new one (no matter what the exact specs) would be faster, that's just silly. Whether you buy at the beginning of a refresh cycle or the end, you're still getting the same hardware. The obsolesence thing is 100% psychological.
 

direzz

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
278
0
alFR said:
There'll be no updates until MWSF, I reckon. Why? Well, the Intel macs have had a few high-profile issues (regardless of the actual number of units affected, you can't deny that there's been a lot of noise made about RSD, hot MBPs etc.). I think Apple will want to ensure that the next generation don't suffer the same problems. So, why drop new processors (with, as has already been pointed out, only minimal performance increases) into the existing logic boards which are then (presumably) going to be redesigned over the next few months around Santa Rosa? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and just announce new, fully bug-fixed models with C2D, Santa Rosa and Leopard early next year? That would give them another 4 months (approx.) development/testing time.



while what you say may be true, its completely ridiculous for a major company like apple to be this behind in putting new proccessors in their pro and consumer laptop lines.

the imacs and mac minis have been updated, so clearly their ins't a shortage of chips.

if apple wait that long, they can kiss their market share behind. even mid-october to late october is pretty insane too. this upgrade should have happend weeks ago, when everyone else was putting c2d in their laptops.

but once again, apple cannot keep up, and as i've said before, the whole intel thing has gone to hell.

apple needs a new ceo. its steve doing all this secretive bull ____ product lanuches and crap. no other computer company acts this way, and since steve wants to compete with the pc's apple needs to get their act together.

wow that felt good.
 

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
6,562
631
Cork, Ireland.
direzz said:
thats getting REALLY old.
That was precisely my point - Merom threads are the new PB G5 threads.

I can almost imagine, sitting in a darkened cubicle deep with Cupertino HQ, Steve Jobs smirking evilly to himself now. "And now, finally, the Intel transition is complete. We've transitioned our whining Powerbook G5 users to whining Intel Merom users. Muhahahah".

(Just kidding. I know how frustrating it is when you're waiting on a new machine you need - though in this case it's only 10-15% difference. Just buy a Yonah if you need a MBP that bad!)
 

donbadman

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
203
0
London
this is all madness it's 9 months since they released the MBP - I think it's the sign of things to come from Apple, they're going to be more like dell than boxxtech... hopefully i'm wrong and the new ones are released with Quadro graphics, up to 4Gb of Ram and a removable HDD.
 

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
460
0
alFR said:
There'll be no updates until MWSF, I reckon. Why? Well, the Intel macs have had a few high-profile issues (regardless of the actual number of units affected, you can't deny that there's been a lot of noise made about RSD, hot MBPs etc.). I think Apple will want to ensure that the next generation don't suffer the same problems. So, why drop new processors (with, as has already been pointed out, only minimal performance increases) into the existing logic boards which are then (presumably) going to be redesigned over the next few months around Santa Rosa? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and just announce new, fully bug-fixed models with C2D, Santa Rosa and Leopard early next year? That would give them another 4 months (approx.) development/testing time.
no way, no how. 4 months is forever in the tech world. they'd be fools to follow this approach. No QC will ever assure a bug-free machine.
 

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
415
0
Kentucky
Not this week people

Ordered my MBP yesterday morning, shipped last night, and being delivered today. In my experience with Apple, had they had plans to upgrade within the next 7-10 days they would have delayed the order and shipped the new laptop after release. Ergo, I dont see a release anytime in the next 2-3 weeks. They may just wait to right before Nov when the shopping season officially starts.
 

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
306
9
Melbourne, Australia
Oh well, looks like I'll shrug my shoulders and be putting my Rev A MBP in for its long list of needed repairs (whine, heat, battery, flaky paint, sticky 'n' key, weird firewire), rather than hoping that Apple will just flick a new, properly built, properly debugged Merom MBP my way.

Mind you, Apple should at least get round to offering a 160GB HDD upgrade if they're going to persist with the CD MBPs - heck, the Mini has the option. This is one reason why the MBPs should at least minor bump in the next week or two, and makes the current delay a bit bewildering.

direzz said:
...

the imacs and mac minis have been updated, so clearly their isn't a shortage of chips.

...
The Mac Minis haven't been updated, merely speedbumped.
 

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
415
0
Kentucky
prady16 said:
Anyone else betting on Apple releasing C2D MBP today? :D
Sorry man, not going to happen. I ordered a CD MBP yesterday, and its being delivered today. If today was the update .. 1. They would have delayed my shipment and 2. It would have already been up on the website by now.
 

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
415
0
Kentucky
I wouldnt mind seeing a silent price drop sometime today though, lol. Then I can get a chuck of that 2000.00 back on my credit card.
 

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
1,218
31
prady16 said:
Anyone else betting on Apple releasing C2D MBP today? :D
I wont lose hope until this tuesday morning is over. But once it`s over I`ll still hope it`ll be next tuesday. Then the tuesday after that. And then the tuesday after that tuesday until Apple finally launches the Merom MBP.


But i dont really care coz I wont be buying an MBP before April next year. So I cant care less.
 

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
306
4
Right There --->
vikas soni said:
I wont lose hope until this tuesday morning is over. But once it`s over I`ll still hope it`ll be next tuesday. Then the tuesday after that. And then the tuesday after that tuesday until Apple finally launches the Merom MBP.


But i dont really care coz I wont be buying an MBP before April next year. So I cant care less.
hahaha.... Good one.... If Apple does not release them by the end of October, even i might delay buying the MBP till Leopard releases next Feb/March. That is when Spring starts right?
 

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
6,044
116
Canada, eh?
I'm getting more and more tempted to buy a MacBook to tide me over for a while, until the C2D's or even newer MBP's are out. Then I can upgrade the MacBook...