"oh it's a mac" -_-

hazedragon45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Today, some guy was doing a presentation in my class. He needed to download a Powerpoint from his email on to his laptop but it wasn't working..
so i said " hey use my computer".. i walked up with my new MBP and VGA connections and he's like "thanks.....oh it's a mac.. nevermind.. i'm just going to get one from the library"

why's it seen as a bad thing??

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Today, some guy was doing a presentation in my class. He needed to download a Powerpoint from his email on to his laptop but it wasn't working..
so i said " hey use my computer".. i walked up with my new MBP and VGA connections and he's like "thanks.....oh it's a mac.. nevermind.. i'm just going to get one from the library"

He's probably ignorant and assumes it can't work. Or, he's a douchebag. It might be both.

reallynotnick

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Guy can't even download an attachment correctly do you really think he wants to try to use an OS he is not familiar with?

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Pick one:

1. Not be familiar with OS X

2. Not know that OS X can play .ppt files in Keynote or view them in QuickView

3. D-bag...

I will go with 1 and 2.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
He's probably ignorant and assumes it can't work. Or, he's a douchebag. It might be both.
I bet he is an ignorant douchebag. This is not like a friend of mine at school, who could not figure out the shortcut for select all, when typing on my macbook and said its a mac. I even have a hard time sometimes with the shortcuts from switching between computers at school (macbook) and at home (windows XP desktop). Or programming (macbook) C, (desktop) C++.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
if he couldnt do something simple on his own system, he probably just didnt figure he could do it on yours, which is unfamiliar to him. Its not hard to acquaint with OSX, but any new mac user will tell you those first to weeks can be hell for basic tasks if your a lifelong windows user.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio

Pretty simple...he didn't know how to use it.:rolleyes:

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
because microsoft office for mac sucks.

I wouldn't download any of my precious .ppt files onto the inferior osx either. It was a good decision for him to go to the library as Windows is far more stable.

emiljan

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Michigan
because microsoft office for mac sucks.

I wouldn't download any of my precious .ppt files onto the inferior osx either. It was a good decision for him to go to the library as Windows is far more stable.
^^I hope your joking, because that's the most absurd thing Ive ever heard.

"windows" and "stable" are two words who don't go together very well.

AppleFreak89

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Tampa, fl
honestly.. im a student and i use powepoint a lot.

i love my mac, but lots of times when opening a pppresentation made on a PC on a Mac a lot of stuff (especially pictures) get lost or don't work. Ive seen it happen a lot.

:)

emiljan

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Michigan
I thought that office 08(mac) and office 07(windows) were compatible with each other? Its the whole reason my teachers told me to get office 08, because files are interchangeable, and they would not have any problems opening files i sent them.

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007

so are you saying that microsoft office, a program developed by microsoft, is more stable on a mac than on windows?

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US

Office mac does suck. But hey, a windows based program works better in windows, go figure.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
honestly.. im a student and i use powepoint a lot.

i love my mac, but lots of times when opening a pppresentation made on a PC on a Mac a lot of stuff (especially pictures) get lost or don't work. Ive seen it happen a lot.

:)
This is because Microsoft sucks. They write the same program for two platforms and can't get basic formatting to match. What a joke.