Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Ok, first I would like to say I'm sorry that I always post these kinds of threads about getting stuff on my iPhone. I know it might seem I'm trolling or something but I'm not. Anyways, friend was eating something really oily for lunch today and he grabbed my phone from my hands and started using it. I'm concerned cause he pressed the home button and I have a 6s so it is physical and not liquid resistant. So could oil seep through the small gap between the glass and button?
[doublepost=1492126851][/doublepost]
Ok, first I would like to say I'm sorry that I always post these kinds of threads about getting stuff on my iPhone. I know it might seem I'm trolling or something but I'm not. Anyways, friend was eating something really oily for lunch today and he grabbed my phone from my hands and started using it. I'm concerned cause he pressed the home button and I have a 6s so it is physical and not liquid resistant. So could oil seep through the small gap between the glass and button?
Sorry again but I want to make it clear this actually happened and I worry too much about my phone.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I guess it's possible but it would have to be a lot of oil on his finger in order for it to seep through the small gap. Keep in mind that our fingers also secrete oil (a la fingerprints), so I would think that Apple has already compensated for that. My wife has a 6s+ and always has some cosmetics left over on her hands after make up and she has been using her phone for almost 8 months now without any ill effect.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sorry again but I want to make it clear this actually happened and I worry too much about my phone.
Ultimately the answer is pretty much the same as it has been (and would be) in the other threads about these kinds of things, like this one pretty much about the same kind of thing: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/oil-on-power-button.1969345/ (or basically any of the other ones mentioned at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-iphone-lightning-port.1996620/#post-23464875).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I believe you are over analyzing the situation. Unless your iPhone is experiencing issues from when your friend was using it today, then I would not be concerned otherwise. Continue to use your iPhone as you were, enjoy it for what it is.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Anyways, friend was eating something really oily for lunch today and he grabbed my phone from my hands and started using it. I'm concerned cause he pressed the home button and I have a 6s so it is physical and not liquid resistant. So could oil seep through the small gap between the glass and button?

Electronics are a dime a dozen, friendships cannot easily be replaced, the phones can. Ease back on the clean OCD and don't worry about it. If it gets jammed with lint, or oily skin then it will have to be cleaned, or replaced. So either get an OTTER BOX DEFENDER, where nothing will get in and a tank can roll over it, or just don't worry about it and forgive your slobish friends. I think friends are more valuable that an inanimate object that can easily be replaced.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Electronics are a dime a dozen, friendships cannot easily be replaced, the phones can.

This tho... if someone grabbed my phone with oily hands, I'd grit a smile then count the seconds till I can Lysol wipe the thing for half an hour. lol.

No not really. But yeah kinda. I don't like people touching my phone. But I'd never yell at someone for doing so. I'd just wait till I'm not in their vicinity to clean it. And if I was around someone that liked touching other people's phones? I'd keep my phone in my pocket. Why anyone would want to touch someone else's phone is beyond me ESPECIALLY when eating.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/oct/13/mobile-phones-uk-e-coli
http://gizmodo.com/5954598/your-smartphone-is-basically-a-poopstick

<shudder>

And to the OP - I don't think this will hurt your phone at all.

Reactions: darksithpro

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Certainly stuff can seep in there. My kids have had sauce seep in when they aren't carefully with washing their hands and touching their device after eating. This is why I have apple care plus though. My oldest is finally learning to not do that sort of thing.

That's said, it doesn't usually seem to happen after one quick use. You should know pretty quickly if there is an issue. I wouldn't stress too much!

Reactions: darksithpro

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Yeah, I'm not mad at my friend but he does have a record for frequently breaking his phones.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
It all depends on how much oil or other fluid it is,a few drops of oil,or oil from dirty fingers never caused me any problems.
The only times my phones got damaged by fluids was one falling into a beer mug,killing the battery,and one that got burn marks on the back from a spill of concentrated battery acid. Raindrops,frying oil from fingers,or small drops of diesel,cutting coolant,or motor oil never caused any damage. Just wipe it off as soon as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.