Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oi!

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
Nyeah, maybe.
I don't speak German, but I spotted a mistranslation by Google Translate. I'd asked a German eBay seller if they'd ship outside Germany, using Google translate to get my question into German and then to translate their reply into English.
The edited version of this story is that, basically, the seller said "Ja." and Google Translate said "Nein."
I ran it by somebody (who is fluent) I know on a forum I used to use a lot (but barely visit now) and they confirmed that Google Translate messed up.

oi!

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
I've long thought that the PCI slot fan is ideal for the MDD, heat rises and the PCI slots are at the top in an MDD. A fan in the top slot with the inlet side facing up would be perfectly placed to dump plenty of hot air out the back of the case, thereby lowering the in case temps.

Never someone to do things by halves, I installed 2. 1 in the top slot, and 1 in the lower PCI slot to take heat from the back of the GPU.

CPU temperatures show no noticeable change (I run two 60mm fans rear of the heat sink anyway) PSU temperatures fell by less than 2 degrees.

These were the cheap Chinese ones bought from eBay, not the quality ones.
I must try them with the 60mm fans disconnected, to see if they're capable of making any real difference to CPU temp.

oi!

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
Because I'm a mac person 100% and I can't stand windoze machines, I bought a PC. Obviously.

Still it was cheep.

I'll probably use it to check my PC AGP cards before I flash them (or in some cases, sell them).

It'll probably donate various internal components to the flashing PC at some point. When I get round to doing some more work on it.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I flash nVidia cards in an ancient dual Pentium III workstation. It's overkill for the job and the pair of 10K SCSI drives make some kind of racket. It's running Red Hat, but I keep thinking I'll install NextSTEP(it advertises being ready for it on the front).

In any case, use the DOS versions of NVFLASH. I boot the computer from a DOS floppy, then have a second disk with NVFLASH and the ROMs I want loaded up on it. Assuming I have the right version of NVFLASH, it's easy enough.

Fortunately, I've always been able to flash ATI cards in OS X, or at least OS X Tiger in safe mode. G5s are easiest since you don't have to tape pins, although you can do it in any Mac as long as the card you're using is ultimately compatible with that Mac. PCI Rage 128s are incredibly useful video cards, and aside from using them on OWR Macs(or at least the ones where I don't want to use a Radeon 9200) they are great for doing diagnostic work on an AGP card in OS X. IMO, every PPC Mac tinkerer should keep one around.

oi!

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
Did macrumors blink out there, or was it just me?

So here are some more Gainward Bliss 7800GS's.

This one is in Germany, it's a 7876 card, and the bidding starts at just 1eur...
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Gainward-Gra...50e1fb7&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=282058878554

This one looks way too cheeky, even if the money does go to charity...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gainward-...173295?hash=item36038357af:g:~A4AAOSwM4xXaaXV

This one's been relisted, now for 40eur instead of the 60 it was listed at last time...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gainward-...746262?hash=item1c69101656:g:1PwAAOSw71BXQPII

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
Oi! is loading, I guess...
beachball_01.gif

Reactions: Orizence

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
beachball_01.gif
beachball_01.gif
beachball_01.gif

EDIT: But to be serious, I did report this to mods. Editing out posts to . is kind of childish. No matter the reason.

Last edited:

SnakeCoils

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2018
Italy
Hello, I would like to join this thread to share my experience with Silenx fans that from now on replaced the original CPU Papst in my two MDDs (FW400 and FW800).
At first I tried to connect the Silenx to the same plug where the original fan was but I quickly discovered the rotation was so slow that I hardly could feel the air moving thru. Then I tested the same fan using the provided Molex-3pin adapter and the result was radically different, the spinning was fast, the air flow quite intense and the noise just noticeable.
To better investigate this behaviour I picked my multimeter and measured the voltage on the CPU Fan plug on the motherboard (the one in the bottom left corner looking the main board from top) and just after the power on I read 5 volts: after some minutes the voltage slowly start to increase but since the heatsink temperature was going crazy (I did this measure without the fan connected) I decided to stop there.
So the answer was very simple: the Silenx fans does their job properly only when feeded with full 12v, the blade design was done with this in mind. The standard Papst, instead, have a good airflow with just 5v applied and only on heavy load (like running emulators or compiling the MacPorts sources) it increase the RPM but also the noise.
To give some numbers about the temperature measured with the Silenx connected to the CPU fan plug (5-12v) and directly to a molex plug (12v) here are the results after one hour of heavy CPU load (FW800, dual G4 1.5 GHz)

Ambient temperature: 19°C
Silenx driven by logic board: 59.2 °C
Silenx driven by molex: 50.1 °C

I have no numbers with original Papst because my intention was to replace them anyway but the difference is there and I also can touch the copper heatsink without having my fingers burned, I mean, it is hot but not so much to hurt.
After some meditation about the way to follow since at first I would like to use the logic board plug I decided that leaving the Silenx rotating at full speed since the power on was the best choice: the CPUs warms very slowly and the top temperature was far away from the upper limit of 62°C that should be the value where the MDD turns off to protect itself. With the Silenx driven by the logic board the CPUs runs hot very quickly (because the poor airflow at 5v) and the fans run faster only to avoid the worst scenario but the temperature remains very high.
There are also other reasons to have lower temperatures and continuous and consistent air flow since the power on: RAM and GPU: they both are placed over the CPU heatsink and suffer from the heat radiated from below so if the CPU runs cooler also the RAM sticks and GPU card runs cooler (or at least are not more overheated by the CPU).
The silly design of MDD place RAM sticks and GPU just over the CPU heatsink so the GPU cooler ingest the hot air from the CPU: the cooler is the CPU heatsink, the cooler wil run RAM and GPU.
In the end I am happy with my Silenx and I consider them a very good upgrade to the MDD, even at full RPM the noise is very limited and the temperature dropped by about 9°C going from variable to fixed speed.

I know the most of MDD noise come from the two PSU fans and to be honest after the CPU fan replacement it was only a bit quieter but of course this will be the matter of the next (and maybe final) upgrade :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.