OK I've read enough. I am staying with 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zub3qin, Oct 26, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Lots of talk on here and elsewhere about difficult Leopard installs...
    Slowing down of the system...
    Sluggish Expose/Stacks...

I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Anyone else staying with 10.4 for a while?
    :apple:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I might revert my MacBook to 10.4 if things don't improve over the next few days. I am holding off on the mini until my MacBook is speedier. I will update the iMacs this weekend, however.

3. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I think you are seeing a bunch of people who had problems, and not the majority of the people that aren't

my leopard install went beautifully, and I love it!

4. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

No way man... I am running Leopard and loving it. Plus once they release 10.5.1 it will be even better...

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

Of course you're going to hear stories of problems. It's the first night, EVERYBODY is installing it (both who got it shipped and picked it up at the store). It was like this for every major .x.0 release for Mac OS X. Mine is perfectly fine and I even did an upgrade - works awesome and it's a lot faster than Tiger.

6. GNice macrumors 6502

Worked flawlessly for me...I'm quite happy. Just popped the DVD in and did the upgrade with ZERO issues at all.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I did an upgrade as well but am had a few issues. Once Spotlight finished reindexing and I rebooted everything is flying! LOVE Leopard.

8. damienvfx macrumors regular

damienvfx

Yeah I agree

You know, I'm gonna go back to 10.3 just to be safe. You crazy kids are gonna break your necks!

9. akac macrumors 6502

akac

A lot of people are seeing the first couple hours where Leopard is indexing their disk AND backing it up with Time Machine.

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It's working great for me, and seems like a really solid upgrade. It's a little sluggish, but that's because Spotlight is still indexing my drive (and presumably Time Machine is also making a backup).

11. ElCambo macrumors regular

The majority of people that come to this website is mainly to seek help with issues they are having, thus it makes it look like everybody that has leopard has issues. This is not true. Im running leopard on my macbook 2.16 2gb ram. and its running beautifully. Its just that the people that have the issues are coming here, while the people loving it have no real need to get on macrumors. I wouldn't hold back on leopard, it works great.

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I did two installs today:
    • Upgrade on a G5 iMac (pre-iSight)
    • Clean Install on a 2.16 C2D Blackbook
    Both of them were flawless, both machines rock, and everything (with MINOR) exceptions still works.

Best dot-oh transition I've ever had, and I've done 'em all.

13. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Received Leopard at 10:15AM.
    Started install at 11:30AM. Completed by 1PM.

NO PROBLEMS. NO ISSUES. :D

By 3PM all applications had been successfully tested.
    Shortly thereafter "Time Machine" was launched successfully, and the system completely backed up.

Played with the system the remainder of the day.

14. rfrankl macrumors 6502

He said it perfectly. I upgraded 2 machines and no problems whatsoever.

15. confirmed macrumors regular

confirmed

yeah.. the sluggishness is definitely just spotlight reindexing. can take a few hours, but once it's done, everything is faster than ever... finder, spotlight, safari, all amazingly speedier.

this is on a 2-core intel mac mini and a powerbook 1.67 g4. in safari, my powerbook now feels faster than the mini did before the upgrade. definitely worth the upgrade if only for speed.

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

me too. It's like nobody ever used a 10.x.0 before

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No its not spotlight indexing. My MB is still sluggish and spotlight finished a couple hours ago. There is something else going on.

18. greenmac macrumors regular

Mac Pro 2.6

Seems fine except 1 little issue with toast, It won't burn my disc! Mac OS error code 13780 :(

19. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I wish I could post a video to show you how unsluggish leopard is on all of my systems - ranging from a C2D macbook w/ 2 GB ram to a SR MBP. The animations all work beautifully on the macbook. it's incredible such a crappy graphics chip can fuel such gorgeous eye candy!

Not sluggish at all, much better than tiger.

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I might skip Leopard altogether.

I like all my working apps in 10.4, plus I still don't know if the 3-D dock can be turned off, and that is the clincher for me.

21. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Worked flawlessly with a clean installation. I didn't try upgrading, though.

22. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Currently there is no way to turn off the dock tray.

In terms of problems, remember that 99% of 'peeps are having no problems whatsover. Also, I'd venture to say that at least half of he 1% who are having problems are having very minor problems and I'd also venture to say that the vast majority of them did *not* do a clean install of the OS. ;)

23. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Does stacks really suck compared to rightclicking or holdclicking a folder/harddrive/etc from the dock. I see this as a huge opportunity for 3rd party devs, to write something that will allow you to turn off the apps/files/etc that appear in a stack, and to give you a delete all option for the downloads stack. Personally I like Todos for my Applications b/c I can turn off the Apps I don't want to see there.

Likewise I really like cleardock and will be curious to see if that gets an update.

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting Leo, actually I think my wife is getting it for me in the next week or so for our anniversary, but I may wait until 10.5.1 or 5.2 to install.

I will also probably go play with it this weekend just to see for myself some of the so called complaints.

Is anyone having problems with archive and installs, or are you using clean installs or upgrades?

24. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

did an upgrade as soon as I got home last night (wife not that impressed with me :D ) and my MBP ran like a three legged dog. However, an hour or so later. DAMN THIS THING IS QUICK!!! (caps intended)

Just upgrading my Mini at the moment, the installation process doesn't seem to like my wireless mighty mouse, having to use the keyboard.

just as a side note, I teach Microsoft technical courses for a living (for one of the largest IT training companies in the world) and have done for the last 9 years. for every new release from Microsoft, although there is an upgrade option, the recommendation is always to do a clean install. Every time I teach people how to do upgrades only about 50% will work with no problems.

25. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm still deciding whether I'll stick with Tiger now I found that Menufela doesn't work. I've e-mailed the devs. but no response as of yet...