Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
including RAIDing 2 10K drives install took 15 minutes. only issue is I messed up my iTunes lib file and have to place all playlists into the folders. I still have the folders though oddly.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I'm pretty happy with Leopard. The installation didn't go smooth and I had to do a fresh install, but now I've done that everything works great.

Even iLife 05 still works! Thankfully with the new unified style.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I won't be getting Leopard until they fix all the problems, and remove the Wikipedia support from Dictionary 2.0

Me and around 20 other people have already reported this to Apples OS feedback.

Screw them for now!

If they don't improve things shortly, I'll be "switching"

None of your complaints have any validity, so I say "good-bye and good riddance."

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I have a solution to your problem...

1) Buy Leopard
2) Install Leopard
3) Love Leopard

Sorry for any confusion but these are the steps I took.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
If it means anything, Leopard on my MacBook has been flawless, both in installation and performance.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
...remove the Wikipedia support from Dictionary 2.0
Me and around 20 other people have already reported this to Apples OS feedback.
Screw them for now!
If they don't improve things shortly, I'll be "switching"
Wait, you want to dump Leopard and switch back to Windows because you don't like the Dictionary? The fact that you are serious really makes me question your sanity.

Did your internal conversation go something like this?:

"Hm, what OS should I use?"
"Well, even though XP/Vista doesn't have a separate Dictionary app, I hate Leopard's; it has WIKIPEDIA SUPPORT! :mad: I can't believe it!"
"Seriously, if I can't have a good dictionary WITHOUT Wikipedia support for looking up random words whenever I want, what is the point of an operating system?!?!"
"I guess it's back to Vista for me."

If that's your line of thinking, I don't think an OS is what you should be worrying about.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Wait, you want to dump Leopard and switch back to Windows because you don't like the Dictionary? The fact that you are serious really makes me question your sanity.

Did your internal conversation go something like this?:

"Hm, what OS should I use?"
"Well, even though XP/Vista doesn't have a separate Dictionary app, I hate Leopard's; it has WIKIPEDIA SUPPORT! :mad: I can't believe it!"
"Seriously, if I can't have a good dictionary WITHOUT Wikipedia support for looking up random words whenever I want, what is the point of an operating system?!?!"
"I guess it's back to Vista for me."

If that's your line of thinking, I don't think an OS is what you should be worrying about.

wow.... why doesn't he just NOT click the wikipedia icon.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Think i'll stick with 10.4 at least till next summer, thats when i'm upgrading all the hard drives (4 x 1tb) and upping to 16gb of RAM so i may as well wait till then, and then do a clean install of Leopard :D

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Beware of the 10.5 bogey man :p...just joking. In my case it's been great...no issues at all.

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
Lots of talk on here and elsewhere about difficult Leopard installs...
Slowing down of the system...
Sluggish Expose/Stacks...

I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Anyone else staying with 10.4 for a while?
:apple:

Leopard is running flawlessly on my iMac Core Duo as well as my MacBook Core Duo after an initial installation issue (internal hard drive showing up). It is noticeably more responsive than Tiger, especially Spotlight which is now ridiculously fast.

Troll846

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for upgrading... I'm not as brave as you all, i'll wait a while before I upgrade. The important thing for me is that Adobe (Macromedia) Freehand has to still work well as they'll be no upgrades coming from Adobe.... damn them

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
I think you are seeing a bunch of people who had problems, and not the majority of the people that aren't

my leopard install went beautifully, and I love it!

Same here. Everything runs beautifully and FASTER! Slowdown of expose is very minimal and happens very infrequently.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
I’m in special position myself. I’m the proud owner of an iMac.... for 3 days now! I’m not even used to Tiger yet (I’m a ‘switcher’) but already ordered my upgrade copy. I’ll take the plunge anyway. I bought a LaCie 500 GB external drive today for Time Machine. Hooked up another external drive to my AirPort Extreme for my MP3s. Can’t wait for the DVD to arrive. :D

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Wait, you want to dump Leopard and switch back to Windows because you don't like the Dictionary?

Yeah thats an odd one. But in reality the poster was saying "Unless Apple makes it so that no one can use Wikipedia in there Apple Dictionary, because I don't like it and want to control what everyone else is able to do, then I will switch to Windows." Reminds me of my 7 year old niece... Its not like you can't turn off the Wikipedia part after all...

Attachments

• Snapshot 2007-10-27 12-04-50.jpg
    Snapshot 2007-10-27 12-04-50.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 95

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
I was reading this thread on my ibook as my power mac (g5 dual 2.0) was going through the upgrade, no archive install or erase and install for me. I had that feeling in the pit of my stomach but it was to turn back. 2 Hours later I come back to a black screen. My mac hadn't rebooted. So I pushed the start button, after what seemed like forever a blue screen came up, again it stayed there forever, finally it started up. At first it was very sluggish because I assume Spotlight was indexing the drives.

I'm happy to report that spotlight has finished indexing and everything is as snappy as before. I wouldn't say it's faster, but it's not slower. My favorite feature so far is spaces. I'm not used to the new dock yet.

Next upgrade is my daughters G4 mac mini. Will be interesting to see what happens there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.