Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevieapollo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Whittier, CA
2.2ghz macbook pro 15" model right before multi touch trackpad

hello is my model even capable of having the multi touch feature with the hack? it sound complicated to me but i will give it a try if it is possible. i think the swipe and zoom feature makes a world of difference in these machines.

thanks

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
No. Multitouch gestures are not possible on your model.

hello is my model even capable of having the multi touch feature with the hack? it sound complicated to me but i will give it a try if it is possible. i think the swipe and zoom feature makes a world of difference in these machines.

thanks

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
has anyone tried it yet with 10.5.7 ?

thx

What i did was save a copy of my existing 10.5.6 mutitouch kext with edited 4 gestures, i then updated to 10.5.7. After that, i backed up a copy of the new 10.5.7 kext file, then removed it and replaced it with my 10.5.6 kext...repaired permissions and hey presto!

I had an issue though...i initially replaced the USBTopCase kext with the 10.5.6 version when replacing the multitouch kext file as well, which ended up screwing up my function/media keys. So i replaced it back with the 10.5.7 one, repaired permissions and everything seems...fine...for now

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    270.3 KB · Views: 108

funkymo

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
good idea, but too late for me since I updated without saving the ktexts, anyone tried it with the initial 10.5.6 ktexts on 10.5.7?

thx

thaweesak

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
good idea, but too late for me since I updates without saving the ktexts, anyone tried it with the initial 10.5.6 ktexts on 10.5.7?

thx

I've replaced mine with the previous version of the ktexts. Seems to work just fine. :)

brom

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2008
differences in the kexts?

any difference in the 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 unibody mbp multitouch kexts?
as new update broke the earlier hack, it follows that it must be updated somehow. Any responsiveness/functionality improvement in the new kext?

thaweesak

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
any difference in the 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 unibody mbp multitouch kexts?
as new update broke the earlier hack, it follows that it must be updated somehow. Any responsiveness/functionality improvement in the new kext?

The version's number's the same though. 1.0.0a1

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I couldn't replace it again, it says I don't have enough privileges, but I am the only account here... so... what's up with that? ideas?

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
The version's number's the same though. 1.0.0a1

Min were different (10.5.6 on left 10.5.7 on right):
30ubpmp.png

Also the internal files have new creation dates, but file sizes the same.

Something has changed inside, unsure what exactly.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
What i did was save a copy of my existing 10.5.6 mutitouch kext with edited 4 gestures, i then updated to 10.5.7. After that, i backed up a copy of the new 10.5.7 kext file, then removed it and replaced it with my 10.5.6 kext...repaired permissions and hey presto!

I had an issue though...i initially replaced the USBTopCase kext with the 10.5.6 version when replacing the multitouch kext file as well, which ended up screwing up my function/media keys. So i replaced it back with the 10.5.7 one, repaired permissions and everything seems...fine...for now

Why were you replacing the USBTopcase kext to begin with?

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
It doesn't matter if the update broke your multi-touch. All you need to do is simply re-download the multi-touch file and replace it again. The steps are exactly the same for 10.5.7 as they were for 10.5.6. I can't live without 4 fingers anymore, I've become so used to it!

roger6106

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Min were different (10.5.6 on left 10.5.7 on right):
30ubpmp.png

Also the internal files have new creation dates, but file sizes the same.

Something has changed inside, unsure what exactly.

"Get info" shows the same version number for both files, but Finder's column view shows different version numbers for the files.

If you've added the 4-finger multi touch in the past you can use time machine to restore the modified version of the file. That's what I did, and I didn't even have to repair permissions.

gusterfan

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
Just wanted to let everyone know that I followed the same steps as when I originally got it and it's worked fine for me. Re-download the kext, delete the old one (make a copy first if you're nervous), put the new one there, repair disk permissions, restart, voila.

Logicwax

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
too old of a MBP? new panel!

if anyone has the problem of having a too old of a MBP, do what I did: replace the panel.

I got a new panel off of eBay for 40 bucks. Comes with the new keyboard (the one with the itunes buttons across the top), and comes with the multitouch trackpad hardware. The cool thing about it, is that apple embeds the keyboards and touchpads on the panel itself. You just pop off your old one, and put on the new one on, connect the ribbon and your good to go! OSX already detects the new pad and gives you multitouch goodness!

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
if anyone has the problem of having a too old of a MBP, do what I did: replace the panel.

I got a new panel off of eBay for 40 bucks. Comes with the new keyboard (the one with the itunes buttons across the top), and comes with the multitouch trackpad hardware. The cool thing about it, is that apple embeds the keyboards and touchpads on the panel itself. You just pop off your old one, and put on the new one on, connect the ribbon and your good to go! OSX already detects the new pad and gives you multitouch goodness!

Let us know if this works for sure, i'd definitely be interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.