OLD MBP vs. NEW MB/MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pyromaniaque, Nov 18, 2008.

1. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Well, money is not necessarily an issue(but it probably will be soon), but the more I have in my pockets, the better. Anyways, I'm 15 and do quite a lot of school work, internet browsing, and graphics. I need something that won't lag Photoshop, that will load up my word processor very fast, and that is useful and versatile.

I mean, I would love to have the new Macbook (Macbook Pro is kind of expensive, but I'm sure with longer saving, I could get it), but how much better is it really? I mean all the new features would be amazing but does anyone really even use all of that multi-touch stuff? And does the old Macbook Pro have multi-touch?

On the Mac Special Deals page:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
    What do you think is the best all around deal?

I thought this was pretty good:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB133LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

But how would it compare to the new ones in terms of speed.
    I kinda wanted to get the new one, because of how good it looks, but what should I get?

2. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

So of all the ones one that page and currently, what should I get?

3. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

I was debating the same thing... and found a great deal yesterday and went with the older model... $1499 for a new MBP 2.6Ghz/2G/250G/512Mvram/Matte , and for another $160 upgrading to 4G RAM and 320G 7200rpm HDD plus external firewire case to reuse original drive. By my calculations, considering no tax/shipping charges on this one, and even with a 10% corporate discount on the new one... I'm saving about $900. To me, that is simply too much moola to justify the newer model. The new one has the really cool case, slightly faster FSB and graphics chip, but slightly slower CPU (in my case comparing to 2.53Ghz). But no matte display available, and I lose the direct dual-link DVI port (I use a 30" LCD) and one less Firewire port which I would also use in some cases. The only difference in the touchpads, I believe, is that the older ones have separate mouse buttons vs. the clickable pad on the new... and they older ones don't have 4 finger gestures (but do have all the other multi-touch gestures). The 4 finger thing has been proven to be software upgradable, but who knows if Apple will take care of that for us. One other thing is the newer ones the hard drive is "user upgradable" where the older ones you have to do major surgery to get to the drive.

There are good deals out there, and the ones you mentioned aren't bad. You can probably find a better price new from a reseller like MacMall or someone, especially if using things like FatWallet. I bought mine at B&H based on a deal someone posted here yesterday that was gone in an hour.

4. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Hmmm...... oh boy, that could be a real problem. I don't know of any computers that aren't brought to a screeching halt by launching word processors.... maybe if you clustered 30 or 40 Mac Pros together with Velociraptors in RAID... other than that, I can't think of anything.

As for photoshop, there's no machine on earth that won't eventually "lag" in Photoshop if the image is large enough and the filters are numerous and complex enough.

The performance of the MBP and MB are basically identical.

5. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

You're saying that they're identical? So the beefed up gfxcard and processor makes no difference? wow

6. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the four finger thing? What does it do?
    And where did you get this AWESOME deal?

7. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Yeah, you're not talking huge performance advantages between the MB and MBP, or new MBP and old MBP, for these types of tasks.

The best performance per dollar is going to be a refurbished older model from Apple. If you have the budget, go for a refurbished Penryn- they seem to come and go on Apple's web site though.

8. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Well I know EXACTLY what the OP is refering to. I have to use MS Word and so use Office 2008, and from when I click on Word to when I can actually type is about 40 seconds. Excel, Powerpoint are the same and Entourage is pretty crap. So the answer is no, if you use Office for Mac 2008 then no machine can open it up fast.
    My computer is the 2.5 Penryn Mac Book Pro your looking at by the way with a 7200RPM drive. And if your gong to use Photoshop I can tell you that this computer gets VERY HOT. You have to use SMC a lot to keep it cool but then it's also noisy.
    I would rather get one of the new models if it was me, well I have, had to send it back due to a defect but it runs much cooler.

9. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

The four finger thing brings up Expose... I think that's about the only difference on the multi-touch stuff, but there may some others. The older ones do most of the multi-touch things, and are hardware capable of doing all of it... just depends on if Apple releases a software upgrade for it. There is a thread on here where people have hacked it and got it working, but I don't really care that much about that. I am pretty sure a keyboard shortcut will do the same thing.

That awesome deal was posted on here yesterday afternoon at B&H Photo, but they sold out in about an hour. There are other decent deals on these though... MacMall, Apple's Clearance Center, etc.

10. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

Any other opinions? I would LOVE to hear them.

11. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Dude,

The MBP Classic was the best designed computer in the world and now (arguably) is the second best. I went with the MBP Classic and then bought a Fuji Roadbike with Full Ultegra/Dura-Ace components on Ebay with the difference.

Really, I mean as cool as the unibody is, for almost the same machine that's still aluminum and IMHO has a better keyboard, I'm getting a friggin awasome bike. If you're 15, I'm sure you can think of many more creative uses for the money. Go to the EDU store, by the way, to get a discount.

12. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm.....But I thought that the education store was only for college students, Not High school students. Am I correct in this assertion?

13. qsoundrich macrumors member

EDU store is for anyone in school... your HS is probably listed in it.

I'm thinking about going for the same deal as pyro, but the one thing that might hold me back is the nvidia chips blowing up. Where did you get the $1499 deal?

14. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

how much ram do you have? i click on word 2008 and i can type in about 15 seconds on a al mb 2.4 4gb ram. it took about 18 on a 2.4 white book 2.4 4gb ram.

15. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

you have to be a college student or high school teacher/ faculity member to get the edu discount. i would not buy a white book. they are all prone to cracking. The old mbps are more durable that the white books. The new mb and mbps are the most durable as far as case design. if you are doing photoshop i would make sure to have 4gb ram on what ever you choose to buy. The price for 4gb ram for the old mbps is $20-$50 if you find a sale. for the new ones the cheapest i found was $125.

16. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for your input. Yet, now Im split between the old MBP and the new MB. So far inluding the new design, what is REALLY better?

17. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

18. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

My only problem with this assertion is the fact that I've heard the old Macbook has a ****ed up video card. I've also heard that it heats up very quickly. Is this true?

19. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I just timed my MBP 2.53, and Word 2008 was at the "ready to type" in 5 seconds from clicking the dock icon. How the hell are you getting 40 second figures?

20. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I'd go with the new macbook. It looks great and wont have the dirty palm rest and trackpad look after alot of use like the white macbook last gen. Also, the black one shows every single fingerprint all over it which looks aweful. Its up to you tho, nobody can tell u what to get. You have to make that decision on your own.

21. PSA14 macrumors newbie

I have the 2.5 Penryn MBP 4GB RAM with 5400RPM drive and I timed the Word 2008 on it in two scenarios. First being, I cleared all the cache and stuff using onyx, restarted the MBP and fired up Word 08, Click and ready to type time difference was 9 seconds. Then I quit word (cmd +q), kept on using the MBP for an hour and then clicked word again. This time the difference was just 2 seconds.
    Maybe you should consider increasing the RAM.

22. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

So so far, I'm getting the message that the old MBP is really the best deal, correct?

23. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would get the old MBP. Its the best deal hands down.

24. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Its a good deal besides the faulty video card. LOL

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Classic MBP. I would have it, if it was still available as an exchange.