Old tech you still regularly use?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by elf69, May 16, 2018.

1. elf69
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

elf69

The old old tech I use regular is mini disc.

Have two players, one of which is recorder.

Have some old LPs but they are just sat on shelf not being played, so don't count as used.

I think this is oldest tech I still use regularly.

Love to know what old tech everyone still uses.
    I love old stuff, even more if still has a use/function.

2. CharlesShaw, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 2:44 AM

CharlesShaw
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

CharlesShaw

A Pfaff 1222 “Electronic” sewing machine, “Made in West Germany” in the 70’s and purchased a few years ago from a mechanic who restored and built a new circuit board for it.

[​IMG]

3. potentmf
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

potentmf

My headphone jack. I have wireless buds but nothing beats plugging in my ATH-M50s.

4. maflynn
    Expand Collapse

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm using a vehicle that includes an internal combustion engine (1859) but of course that pails in existance to the fact that it uses wheels (3,500BC). When I get home I watch moving pictures emanating from a magical box (1927)

When you think about it, nearly everything we have, use, or do comes from old tech. Even computers are old, the first mechanical computer was 1822 and the digital computer was invented in 1943.

Answers were provided by technology invented in 1990 (search engines).

5. elf69
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 68020

elf69

Touche @maflynn very well thought reply!

No flies on you!

6. maflynn
    Expand Collapse

maflynn

Staff Member

I couldn't help it. :)

What started out as a tongue in cheek response, transformed into a realization that we use old tech everyday. I understand the point you were making but what's more facinating is how much of our day to day lives are still using old tech and how we take that for granted.

7. bopajuice
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

bopajuice

8. elf69
    Expand Collapse

elf69

ah love the hiss and pops from LPs.
    Just lack space to set up my player

9. Scepticalscribe
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My fountain pen, which I use every single day.

At home, I use the landline telephone (that one dates from the 1880s) - it is far better than mobile/or cell phones, and listen to radio.

And yes, @maflynn's excellent post resonates with me. We use old tech all the time in our lives; very often one does not supplant or replace the other - they exist and are used simultaneously.

10. maflynn
    Expand Collapse

maflynn

Staff Member

Those nearly went extinct in the 90s, thanks to CDs but I guess a niche of people clung to the desire to keep using them. I know of a few people who go out of their way to use them over anything else.

11. elf69
    Expand Collapse

elf69

I used to love a good pen, not these bic biro things that litter my work desk!

But being a lefty a biro suited me better and made less mess.

LPs have returned and my local tesco has a reasonable selection now, including one of my favourite bands ELO.

12. SoggyCheese
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Barcelona, Espanya o Londres, Reino Unido
  13. D.T., May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018

D.T.
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

D.T.

I like to differentiate between:

"Ongoing Tech", as in tech that's currently in use as the dominant option, but was originally developed years ago (the ICE)

"Old Tech" as in products that have been supplanted by a [newer] dominant product that in some cases is clearly superior by almost every objective and subjective metric (BD vs. VHS), but not always, especially where there's some nuance where the difference is perceived as better (tube amps vs. solid state amps)

That second category could almost be broken down into two sub-categories, something like "Old Tech" vs. "Classic" or maybe "Boutique" tech.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2018 ---
    I should've also said, that there are newer techs that can be, and are mostly not as good as older tech (from an objective standpoint), but the newer tech offers some kind of peripheral perk, like convenience (where the latter has been the driving factor over the core experience the tech provides ... the most obvious example is CD vs. digital music, and of course my previous example - and preference - tube vs. SS [SS is just to much more convenient as to be way "better"]).

Some examples of the latter, Classic-that-I-Prefer tech category:

- manual transmission cars
    - tube amps (more of a like as much, and regularly use both tube and SS)
    - wired headphones

14. CharlesShaw
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

CharlesShaw

Great answer. :D I’m also using it —almost exclusively lately — and tinkering with a budget DVR setup was a fun project.

15. daflake
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

daflake

Haha, I was going to say telephone! (1876)

16. bunnspecial, May 16, 2018

bunnspecial
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Where to start...

I drove to work this morning in a car with carburetors, points ignition, and a manual transmission. Even though @D.T. makes a good case for ICEs being an "ongoing" technology, I could point out a dozen reasons easily why the one in this car is ancient technology :) .

I will write today with a fountain pen-or probably a couple of different ones. My main one was made in the 1960s(Mont Blanc 22) but I have some back to the 1930s in my desk(including my prize Sheaffer balance), a relatively new pen that's been in continuous production since the 1960s(Lamy 2000) but that I bought new a few years ago, and some that are recent designs. Still, they're not exactly dominant technology.

If the weather holds, I might go out and take some photographs on film. Depending on how the light looks, I might use a Nikon F100(1999), Nikon F2sb(1975), Nikon F2AS(1977) Hasselblad 500C(1960), or Speed Graphic(1950). Of course, I'll be using them with fresh film. Also, I'll probably use the F100 with relatively new lenses, although the F2s will get older ones. Depending on what I'm doing on the Speed Graphic, my lenses range from the 1930s to the 1990s. 4x5 film dates to the beginning of plastic-backed cut film(I think the 1910s), although I do have some glass plates also if I want to be adventurous(I want to shoot color, so that won't happen). 120 film was an early Kodak roll film size, and it just happened to be the only one that survived to today thanks to companies like F&H(Rolleiflex) and Hasselblad adopting it-and then it becoming the defacto "medium format" film size due to momentum from those others adopting it. 35mm film dates to whenever Oscar Barnack decided that he wanted to use motion picture film in a small camera that was easy for him to carry when he was climbing mountains. I mostly shoot Fuji Velvia, which came out in ~1989, and Kodak Tri-X, which dates from the 1950s. Both have been tweaked and reformulated-most recently 2006 for Velvia 50(after the original ASA 50 Velvia was discontinued for environmental reasons) and 2008 for Tri-X.

Oh, if I mount the cameras on a tripod, it will be a Marchioni Brothers Tiltall-a design from the 1930s and produced by them until I think about 1960(Leitz after that, and still in production today).

When I go to the range, I mostly shoot revolvers including ones patterned after the Colt single action(1873) and ones patterned after the Smith and Wesson model of 1902/1905. I even have an S&W model of 1899 in 32-20, another ancient cartridge. Most of my handloading is done with Unique powder, which claims to be the oldest commercial smokeless powder still in production(1899) or its slightly younger and faster brother Bullseye(1902).

17. elf69
    Expand Collapse

elf69

then guys not forgetting the humble shoe, which dates back to 1600 BC.

mesopotamia people on the iran border is first known shoe makers.

18. adk
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

adk

I still use a Marantz 2245 receiver, manufactured sometime around 1973. It cost $449 45 years ago!

[​IMG]

19. elf69
    Expand Collapse

elf69

20. Tomorrow
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I write with fountain pens, shave with a safety razor, and carry a pocketwatch. I don't know how "tech" those are, but there you go.

21. Huntn, May 16, 2018

Huntn
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

Huntn

I’m trying to get my first gen iPod so I can use it in my car. Does anyone know if this is compatible with iTunes? It does not appear in iTunes like my other iOS devices do, except this is not an iOS device so I guess not. :( It’s been in my desk for a decade, trying to figure the best way to manage the songs on it. Besides the obvious get a new one, there still a way to back it up to transfer over songs?

54E31987-23F3-4A66-BEE1-445692A9F455.jpeg
    Update: It’s a 4th gen iPod, not first. :oops:

22. Jesla
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Jesla

Maybe even older than the wheel..... Stairs, right in the middle of my house and used everyday.

Also these just few I have used in the last hour or so:

Telephone, Tube Audio, Furniture, Wood Framed House and horror of horror's... Electric Lighting.

Fork, Drinking Glasses, Tooth Brush, Comb, Scissors, Knives..... and on and on....

23. bunnspecial
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I forgot the safety razor...

I haven't worn a pocket watch in a while, but do wear a mechanical wristwatch. Mine has a movement designed in the late 1970s(Rolex 3035) although fundamentally lever escapement watches haven't changed a lot in the past 175 years or so. I think Rolex started phasing in the 3135 in the mid-1990s, and most of the changes make it easier to service-mine still holds within a second a month.

24. chown33
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

25. CharlesShaw
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

CharlesShaw

That model requires regular Pink Floyd in order to keep it running.