Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, DigiTimes shared a preview of an upcoming report claiming that Apple is working on both iPad and Mac notebook models with OLED displays that could launch starting in 2022. The full report from DigiTimes is now available, and it includes several new alleged details about Apple's plans.

Oled-iPads-and-MackBook-Pro.jpg

According to the report, the first of these devices to adopt an OLED display is likely to be a 10.9-inch iPad, presumably an updated version of the iPad Air. The updated iPad is said to be planned to go into production in the fourth quarter of this year with a launch coming in early 2022. In addition to the 10.9-inch iPad, Apple is also said to be considering using OLED displays for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro and the 16-inch MacBook Pro.
The sources pointed out that the first device to come with an OLED panel is likely to be a 10.9-inch iPad, set to begin volume production in the fourth quarter of 2021 for an official release in 2022.

The US brand reportedly is also considering adopting OLED panels for its 12.9-inch iPad Pro and 16- to 17-inch MacBook Pro scheduled for release in 2022, but have not made a final decision, the sources noted.
While rumors of OLED displays for Apple's larger portables have only recently started to surface, the company has been rumored for some time to be transitioning to mini-LED displays on its iPads and Macs. DigiTimes says that the two display technologies will exist side-by-side, "each targeting different customer groups."

A number of sources including DigiTimes have indicated that a 12.9-inch iPad Pro with a mini-LED display is coming in the first half of this year, and DigiTimes says 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models coming in the second half of the year will also adopt mini-LED.

Article Link: OLED 10.9-Inch iPad Rumored for Early 2022, 12.9-Inch iPad Pro and 16-Inch MacBook Pro Could Follow

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Gonna be 2016 all over again. Will follow my strategy and upgrade my MacBook Pro at the tail end of this new product cycle. So, late 2025 when all the issues have been ironed out. Then again, I jumped on the M1, but it technically it’s been proven and I have to say, it’s the smoothest transition ever.

irontiger82

Suspended
Sep 2, 2011
Wait what? iPad Pro 12.9 with mini LED, then 10.9 ipad with OLED. I guess they are trying to make the Pro models more Pro.

edit: re-read. So this year is Mini-LED, then one year later switching to OLED? uhhh....

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
No. You're thinking about microLED. Apple will adopt microLED after Samsung refines the tech and brings cost down.
Apple has got a few factories, they’re making their own micro led screens, when they’ll be ready, that’s another question.

Good to see apple being less reliant on Samsung.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Microled still didn’t changed
I wonder if they cannot shrink the pixels since the tech is available for 2-3 years
So don’t expect microled i to small displays for at least 4-5 years

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
So which is cheaper? OLED or miniLED? Burning issues of OLED? These screen are on 12h a day at least. Any issue with the menu bar being permanently "on" after awhile.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Why they keep changing the screen size at almost every new iPad. Is there a reason? Earlier, It would remain constant for many cycles. I can understand changing it when there's a change in the bezel size. but they seem to be changing it for almost every release.
The smaller iPad Pro has seen a lot of change in screen size, initially it was 9.7" then 10.5, presently 11" and now rumoured 10.9". The larger iPad Pro has stayed consistent at 12.9" with the exception of physical size. iPad Air is probably the next one on that list with the iPad receiving a bump a couple years back. Seems almost as bad as Samsung.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple doesn't develop tech. They do testing to see which suppliers have the best tech, but they don't develop them. It's like building a PC.

Apple develops a ton of tech. Including microprocessors, customized LCDs, custom display driver circuitry, GPUs, apple pencil, etc. etc. Just because they don’t manufacture those things doesn’t mean they didn’t develop them.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
So which is cheaper? OLED or miniLED? Burning issues of OLED? These screen are on 12h a day at least. Any issue with the menu bar being permanently "on" after awhile.
12h if you are not using your ipad or laptop plugged to run almost non stop
This rumors are from digitimes , again !!!

• Haha
Reactions: LFC2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.