Oleophobic Coating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jap1198, Jul 3, 2011.

1. jap1198 macrumors 6502

The oleophobic has worn off and now my iPhone attracts fingerprints like crazy.
    Can I go to the Apple Store to have the coating re-applied or to have the screen replaced or will I just have to deal?

2. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Hmm, first time I've read something like this

You could go to the Apple Store and see what a Genious can do for you

3. jap1198 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will they do anything to it even if the warranty is expired?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's really hit or miss. I would go and ask.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I've asked (at several locations), and they always tell me that the coating does wear off and is not covered under warranty.

6. iApache macrumors 6502

iApache

You can try your luck at the apple store, you never know.

Since I wear glasses, I carry an extra cloth to clean my phone.

7. rick98761 macrumors 6502

This is the reason why I love finding a reason to do a warranty exchange after I've had the phone a while.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I find that even cheap Chinese aftermarket screen protectors work well to keep fingerprints away. :eek:

9. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

The manual itself states that the coating will wear over time. So I guess its not covered by the warranty. But there is nothing to loose by asking a Genius.

10. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I don't think they will do anything. The only choice if you like the Oleo coating that much is to get a screen protector with a coating such as SGP.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had this happen to my 3GS and since then I use Ghost Armor. Not just to protect against scratches but rather to keep the oleophobic coating intact.

Being a coating, it will off and I'd rather not deal with ensuing problems of a worn off coating.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I recommend using an anti-glare screen protector; not only protects the screen, but mostly alleviates any issues with fingerprints.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same here. I usually find a reason to get a replacement every three to four months - always for legitimate reasons - but mainly for a new, oleophobic screen.

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I recently had mine replaced for this reason. The genius continuously told me he couldn't see any issue. He actually took a cloth out of his pocket and wiped my screen off and was like "there, see? no fingerprints!".

I took him over to a display model, grimed up both screens and wiped the display model on my shift a couple of times and asked him to do the same with mine. When he saw the difference he gave me a replacement.

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Thanks for keeping costs high for other customers.

16. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, thank Apple for selling a product that only functions as advertised for two to three months.

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Incredibly stupid comment. The price of these phones will never go down.

They also have not gone up. Apple offers a service and people take advantage of it. It's the nature of the beast we call society.

18. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Your sense of entitlement is really up there isn't it? I wouldn't blame the phone as much as user error. My naked 4 is as good as day 1. Keep your hands clean more often? :rolleyes:

19. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

wrong. as another user pointed out the manual states that the coating will wear off. learn to read.

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

They are high because of people like mavis. I never said the prices will go down.

The key phrase is "take advantage." Laying the blame on "society" doesn't make it right. :rolleyes: I bet you're the type of person who wishes the government paid for rent/utilities in addition to food stamps.

21. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Right, because most people read the user manual before they purchase a product. :rolleyes:

But, instead of arguing about how ridiculous that line of reasoning is, allow me to simply rephrase my original comment. I wish Apple would make a phone that functions as well after two months of ownership as it does the first day. Since that is not yet the case, I feel I am entitled to regular exchanges, as long as the phone is under warranty.

22. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

And what leads you to that assumption? I work for a living and enjoy what I do as well as the ability to buy things for myself and my wife as a reward. Can you say the same?

Apparently you are living in the dark when it comes to government funding for freeloaders. Ever hear of section 8 housing?

23. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

If you read the Apple warranty it explains that the olephobic screen is consumable and not covered under warranty. Sorry, you have to suffer like the rest of us. :rolleyes:

24. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Seems so very wasteful to me that people exchange their products simply because the coating - which as shown as a wear item - has worn off. Even a bit more surprised that someone who appears to hail from Japan engages in this behavior - considering the culture there of recovering resources and minimizing waste.

If that coating is so important - have you thought to consider treating it better, purchasing a protective film / case or getting the coating reapplied?

I've got an IP4 nearly a year old - and the coating is still intact. However I also have a launch iPhone - and it was / is very usable without any coating whatsoever.

A quick search will show vendors who can re-coat, and DIY methods that appear to have worked well for many.

Then again, the people who feel entitled to more than others - are also the ones who will not make any personal effort, as they expect the lesser masses to do their bidding...

25. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Hate to break it to you, but they remove the coating when they apply the Ghost Armor. ;)

It would not adhere properly if they left it there.