Omnigroup Commits to Bring Five Productivity Apps to iPad

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 30, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    OmniPlan for Mac OS X

In a blog post, OmniGroup has committed to bringing five of their productivity apps to the iPad including OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, OmniPlan, OmniFocus, and OmniGraphSketcher.
    The Omni Group started life as NeXTStep developers back in 1989. The company made the transition to Apple when Apple acquired NeXT in 1997 and made NeXTStep the basis for Mac OS X.

Omni Group had only previously brought OmniFocus to the iPhone which won a Best of Show Award at Macworld 2008. Obviously, their iPad commitment is far more significant which includes applications which range from project management, diagrams/flowcharts, outlines, and personal task management. Their plans to aggressively move to the iPad will actually delay some future Mac versions of their software.

Article Link: Omnigroup Commits to Bring Five Productivity Apps to iPad

2. Casiotone macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

3. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

It's going to take me quite some time to get over the lack of flash in Safari ( i may be posting my frustration for days if not months :D ) but this is exactly the kind of 3rd party software that I was looking forward to in an iPad.

Go Omni! can't wait for all the other productivity developers to jump on board. Finance apps and more.

4. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

This is really great news. I use several of their applications, and OmniFocus is a tool that I use all the time.

5. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Stuff like this might actually make the iPad more useful. (Then again, I don't use their apps on OS X, either...but still. :))

Hopefully, stuff like this keeps happening. I'm waiting for that killer app that will convince me to buy it.

6. PlayRadioPlay macrumors regular

Pff. Call me when it runs OSX and it no longer matters what companies want to spend their sweet time developing for yet another platform. Until then, I'll be on my laptop.

7. sultanq macrumors newbie

makes iPad useful

The availability of OmniOutliner is enough to sway me to get an iPad over an iPod touch (I was having trouble deciding). With desktop class productivity applications appearing for the iPad, it will really be a [semi-crippled] $500 multi-touch mac. :D

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

This is where it starts getting very interesting. Full featured apps like this are going to be far more possible, and I'd expect Omni Group will do a good job making them multi-touch appropriate.

arn

9. Friscohoya macrumors 6502a

Friscohoya

Enjoy that laptop (I am using one now) while you can cause they are going to stop making them in 5-10 years. "Touch" the future.

10. eoin3- macrumors regular

eoin3-

This is exactly the type of attitude that is going to define the iPad experience!! I hole heartedly believe that it's this type of developer enthusiasm that will make the iPad successful. You can already see the clouds of dissent parting as more and more people look look at what they can help the iPad become rather than lament what the iPad is not....yet.

11. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

There's going to be a rush of either full fledge 3 third party apps or hybird Apps for this device. Very good news.
    Expect for Apple to have 3 different SDK's soon ... iPhone....iPad.....Mac OS X ..... Sadly Apple cares about these OS's in the order I mentioned them :( oh well. :)

Very adroit post arn ;)

12. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

a lot of complaints about the iPad in it's current OS 3.2 form. Mind you 3.2 is for the most part just a revision to the current OS so that it conforms to iPad.

When OS 4.0 in a few months .... all of those features will be available to iPad as well.

I'm making a lot of broad assumptions but if true , there will be a lot to look forward to with iPad even with the hardware in it's current form.

13. Friscohoya macrumors 6502a

Friscohoya

14. Casiotone macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

The iPad will run the full Mac OS X, through VNC clients (those already exist for the iPhone).

And then people like you may at last realize how hard and clumsy it is to control Mac OS X apps designed to be used with a mouse, using a finger on a 9.7" screen.

15. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Arn, I think the question that will play the biggest factor in all efforts from all developers is: How fully featured (compared to full class desktop versions) can we realistically make these apps within the scope of the OS 3.2 SDK?

It's nice to see developers like this excited and ambitious to start development , I just hope (fingers crossed) that the results are going to be more than just a large iPhone version with space for more buttons on the same screen.

***let's not forget the image in the OP article is the OS X version *** let's not get too excited just yet is all I'm saying***

16. PlayRadioPlay macrumors regular

Looking at my laptop screen right now, there are very few operations that would be more complicated using fingers than a keyboard. Most would be far simpler. A few would need some clarifications. Just a few.

But seeing how it took Apple years to figure out how to implement Copy & Paste, I'm not surprised that they haven't yet figured out how to address those quirks.

17. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

I narrowed it down..... You Two are the Ones who rated this Negative!? :rolleyes: ... just had to follow the trail ;)

18. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'd say pretty fully featured given that iWork is there. The biggest limitation before for these sort of apps has been the issue of getting files on and off the device. But the iPad will apparently mount a shared folder that can be used to pass files to and from apps.

arn

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'm glad Apple has people working for them that are more imaginative than folks that make this kind of comment. Otherwise our "laptops" would be Apple II's shoved in giant backpacks that we'd wear while lugging around our suitcases of floppy disks.

20. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

21. PlayRadioPlay macrumors regular

Looking at my laptop screen right now, there are very few operations that would be more complicated using fingers than a keyboard. Most would be far simpler. A few would need some clarifications. Just a few.

22. PlayRadioPlay macrumors regular

Please. Wanting a non-crippled OS is hardly non-forward-thinking. If anything, I'm being more progressive minded than than you and all of the other Steve Jobs fanboys that just love the fact that companies will have to make their applications twice in order to make them work on the iPad.

You know what would be a much more impressive news post on the front page of MacRumors than "*insert one company* is developing for the iPad!"?? How about: "ALL Mac OSX programs work on the iPad!"

23. Friscohoya macrumors 6502a

Friscohoya

They're coming...

24. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Yes , without a doubt that is huge plus. Talking about directories, my understanding is that the App will be able to store documents within it's own directory. so the user won't have to deal with your typical directory found in OS X or Windows.

Now if Apple will allow an email attachment from the mail program to be saved to an apps directory? (ie, save to or open with option from mail: choose an app: list of apps) .

well then I can kiss my laptop good bye!

25. Friscohoya macrumors 6502a

Friscohoya

OSX is already the secondary OS...