Once you go OLED you can never go back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quietstormSD, Nov 6, 2017.

1. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I went to the Apple store today to exchange my case but just out of curiosity I did a side by side comparison with the 8 plus and my X since I’ve had my doubts about the X and contemplated over the weekend if I should trade it in for an 8 plus for much of the same reasons as has been talked on the forum, bigger usable space, wider, familiar TouchID etc etc

But wow when holding the phones side by side and having a safari webpage open, same brightness, True Tone on and off, etc, it’s really astonishing. I can’t believe how amazing the screen is on the X compared to the 8 plus. I don’t think I can ever go back to having a non-OLED phone.

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

You know I’ve been playing around with an X for the last couple of days. I seriously don’t see it as a huge deal. iPhone 8 and 8 plus have the best LCD panels on the market. What made you think you’ll never be able to go back?

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think it depends. For a non-tech user, I have heard many say they can't tell the difference between the LCD an OLED display on the iPhones. But for somebody like myself, I can easily differentiate between the two. I agree the OLED display is nice, but I could still easily resort to an iPhone 8 display without missing OLED if need be.

4. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

5. Olganech macrumors regular

I have been using AMOLED screened phones for the last 7 years.

6. KONVICTED Suspended

KONVICTED

Does that count on iPhone 7 also? Or there's is difference between the two.

7. dexterie macrumors regular

dexterie

Yes, you can go back from OLED. I did it. Had a Samsung Galaxy and went back to iPhone (when the 5S was released) and never looked back. It was over-saturated and well.. it was running on some laggy android :p
    As for the X, it seems the display is great. I'm yet to try one..but I don't think I'll upgrade from my 7Plus. I don't see the need.

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I’ve gone back and forth many times.

OLED may be new to some, but I had my first OLED phone back in 2010.

9. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Pretty much the same if I’m honest.

10. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Good decision. iPhone 7 Plus is a refined product in its category but the X is a first generation product. I’m sure it will be fine but I’ve stopped being the early adopter. Can’t gamble with my phones anymore. Life and priorities have changed from my hyperactive - gotta be the first one to have it - days.

11. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

I went from an AMOLED in the Note 2 to an LCD in the iPhone 6+.

12. dexterie macrumors regular

dexterie

Exactly!
    i just feel the upgrade won't be that dramatic as before. The design is nice and everything, but my 7Plus works well and fits my needs. There are better things to spend +1300 EUR on.

13. KONVICTED Suspended

KONVICTED

So both have same display? apart from true tone technology included in iPhone 8

14. pdxmatts, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

I feel exactly the same way. Bravo! Been there done that and learned my lesson about being an early adopter. Patience is a virtue nowadays :cool:

15. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

16. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a

AaronM5670

It's the blacks that wow me. Seeing the pixels completely off is something you have to see to truly appreciate, and makes the experience so immersive.

17. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

It’s the blacks. It’s noticeable on the X that they’re way deeper than on the 8/Plus.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Tbh, I'm not seeing any major advantages to the OLED screen and it does have a major disadvantage - screen burn in. I'm not complaining but I think Apple's LCD technology was on point and iPhone's screens were the best. I'm not saying the X is inferior, but I do think the LCD is better. Time will tell if Apple included technology to mitigate the burn-in issue.

19. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Outside, or in a well-lit room there isn’t much much difference. Not that I can tell, anyway. Reflections off the glass seem more of an intrusion.

Maybe if you use your phone a lot in the dark you’d see the benefit?

20. Synergie macrumors 6502a

OLED May have blacker blacks but the colour tends to be more cartoonish. Once upon a time I had a Galaxy laying around and while the blacks were astonishing the icons all looked like cartoons and everything was over saturated.

21. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Yea I couldn't go back at this point. The screen on the X is much better than my 7 Plus ever was.

22. DaveOP macrumors 65816

You should see the new OLED's. The iPhone X OLED is extremely color accurate, and does not look cartoonish.

23. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

I didn't initially see the big difference when I was at the Apple Store Friday. However, it wasn't until I compared with my iPhone 7 and my friend's iPhone 8+ that I was like WOW my display is far and away better and it's not even close. I think it's the same as Retina display when it first came out. People said they didn't see a difference when Retina display first became a thing. It wasn't until they tried to go back to non-retina devices they realized how amazing Retina display is.

24. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Indeed. Other than true tone there’s nothing new on the 8, in terms of display.

25. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Yeah but how often do you see the blacks? Most apps are designed with a white background anyway.