One month in: 32gb vs 64gb owners thoughts

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cyberdogl2, Nov 30, 2015.

1. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

so i initially bought a 64gb at launch and still miss it some. i exchanged it for a 32gb a week later. for my use case it seems to be pretty much the same, but we'll see once more and more apps become available

2. MacFanBoi macrumors regular

I just went with the 32gb model because the main use of the atv4 for me is a media player with some light gaming so 32gb was more then enough. So far im very happy with it apart from them dropping the optical out so i had to buy a hdmi audio extractor so I could hook my speakers up using optical but other then that its everything I had hoped for.

3. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

I am REALLY glad that I bought the 64GB version. Now that more apps are starting to come onboard I will be using the :apple:TV a lot more than I ever thought I would.

4. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I have a 64 GB ATV4 in the living room and 3 32 GB ATV4's in the master bedroom, playroom, and exercise room. I honestly can't tell the difference between any of them.

5. NeilHD macrumors regular

Downloaded maybe 3 apps so far, haven't looked at the usage. Have a 32GB and am glad I didn't buy a 64GB (possibly the only time I've been happy with a smaller capacity!).

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Has anyone found any way of telling anything about the storage used?

7. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

I purchased the 64gb for future use. I knew initially I probably wouldn't be using most of that space, but long term I may. Didn't want to feel regret months down the line.

J

8. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

There are some free and paid apps to determine free storage. I think it'll be quite awhile before most 32GB users start to run out of space.

9. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

10. LtRoyalShrimp macrumors member

LtRoyalShrimp

I use it for iTunes movies, Netflix, Hulu, etc. I went 32GB and couldn't be happier.

11. chuyn macrumors 6502

Same here with 32GB... Downloaded maybe 3-4 apps non-video apps. Maybe will try a handful more but it just won't be used for gaming or much other than streaming media. We've already got other gaming consoles connected to the TV. Glad I didn't get the 64GB like I was originally planning.

12. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

What kind of internet speed do you have if I may ask as I am cutting the cord and curious if running multiple ATV4 throughout my house simultaneously will cause buffering and lag.

I had 18mbps but when I cancelled my cable I upped my internet speed to 75mbps

13. bheathain macrumors member

I bought the 64GB due to availability at the time. In hindsight, I see no reason to spring for the 64GB (for most folks) unless Apple turns on the functionality to download iCloud content to the device (like you can with movies and such on your phones/tablets). For me, even with a bunch of games installed, I can't see going past 32GB anytime soon.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I bought the 32GB version. I have yet to use more than 5gb of space, and I have downloaded pretty much every streaming app there is.

15. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Comcast Extreme 250. Usually I get 300 Mbps downstream, but all the AppleTV's are connected via ethernet, so they are limited to 100 Mbps.

16. ukpetey macrumors regular

ukpetey

Like most who have posted so far, I got the 32GB and I'm delighted with it. I had initially planned on getting the 64GB but when it became apparent that no content would be stored directly on the ATV except apps, I guessed (rightly) that the 32GB would be plenty.

I don't know how much space I've so far used, and I don't mind not knowing. If it fills, I'll delete some stuff, but it seems unlikely. More likely is that in a year or two I'll be upgrading to a newer model.

However, I love it! My first ATV and it's great!

17. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Yea, thats way more than what I will have so hopefully my measly 75mbps will suffice lol

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I went with the 32GB model and it does everything I need it to do. I've even got half a dozen games installed, and none of them even take up 100MB.

19. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I got the 64gb and following is my usage based on Storage Doctor TV App.

Free: 50.21
    Used: 6.93
    System: 6.85
    Total: 64gb

I don't have a lot of apps but the Disney Infinity app is about 1.4gb. I know this because I added after I checked the Used and then after. It only shows 61.4mb in the manage storage section.

The way the Apple TV works with storage is you can have an App with a max initial storage size of 200mb. In this case it is 61.4mb. Then it can load 2gb more for a total of 2.2gb. But, if it gets low on storage it can delete all past the first 200mb max initial size. Not sure about you but really do not want to load that > 1gb over and over. Really took a long time to load on my fast usage.

I am not sure how many more games/apps I will load for my grandkids / kids and how many will be that large but I am glad I got the 64gb version. Right now had I gotten the 32gb I would have 18gb free.

20. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Bought 32. Still don't understand what the benefit of 64 is besides giving apple more money.

21. Kendo macrumors 68000

So glad I saved $50 and went with the 32GB after reading all these comments.

22. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Does the ATV4 support the PS4 or XB1 controller for games?

Curious as that would factor into my decision on which one to get if I am going to game a lot. I do not see gaming with the included remote as an option and don't want to buy that terrible one they advertise on Apple for $50.

23. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Most people assume that the :apple:TV4 uses space like their computer does. This simply isn't the case. :apple:TV4 uses a new technology called App Thinning which works much differently. Another mistake that most people make is that they forget that the collection of Aerial screensavers are stored on the :apple:TV4, and they take up a total of 6GB of space (so far). When :apple:TV4 runs out of space it will automatically delete data without user intervention. That is another feature of App Thinning. So if one day you notice something is "missing" from your :apple:TV4 that was there the day before, then you'll know you should have opted for the 64 GB version. Also, each app can can designate up to 2 GB of resources (in addition to the 200 MB initial app bundle) to be downloaded automatically after app installation. It all adds up.

24. campyguy macrumors 68030

64GB, no regrets. Except one: that Target had the ATV4 on sale for $50 off over the BF weekend. Grrr, should have waited...

25. cyberdogl2 thread starter macrumors regular

I bought the 64gb then exchanged it for the 32gb early November. which made me eligible for holiday return period. So I picked a 32gb up for $117 on BF and returned the previous 32gb to Apple.