One month with the 6 Plus and I'm going back to the 5S...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueMoonForever, May 4, 2015.

1. BlueMoonForever, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

BlueMoonForever macrumors 6502

My opinion completely, but the 6 plus is an unfinished product. I purchased the device on AT&T last month to replace my iPhone 5. I instnatly put iOS 8.3 on it. Maybe its just me, but there are times the animations are choppy and things lag. I do not understand why a current Apple flagship phone would do this. Then there is the size. It's becoming more of an issue to carry around and be in my pocket. The the final straw is how after 9 months most developers still haven't optimized their apps for the 6 plus. I am sick of everything looking blurry.

The only thing IMO the 6 plus has is its amazing battery life. But at the end of the day I can't stomach the choppy animations, the lag when scrolling, and the completely unusable safari.

Ordered a new iPhone 5S 64GB from amazon and I am hoping it comes with iOS 7, as I do not recall that version having choppy animations.

Hopefully I can recoup most of the costs with the 6 plus by selling it.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hope that 5s is on iOS 7 cause if you go up to 8.4 with that you'll have more issues than you had with the 6 Plus.

3. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

I meant that I had iOS 8.3 on my 6 plus. Not 8.4 which is in beta. Oh no lol. But if I recall correctly, the iPhone 5s in 64GB never shipped with iOS 8.

4. ardchoille50, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

My iPhone 6 is great, everything runs fine and the battery life is amazing. I had wondered if I should have opted for the 6 Plus instead.. but the size was a concern. Ok, so that explains why some apps seem blurry, I thought it was just my old eyes.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Did you take it into the Apple Store? My 6+ is very smooth and fast, as is my wife's. Maybe you got a bad one.

6. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

One month with the 6 Plus and I'm going back to the 5S...

No issues here, did you restore from iTunes when you got your 6+? I've stopped doing that since the 5 and I've had zero issues. I've been restoring my personal data via iCloud and it's been nothing but smooth sailing.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I've got used to how my 6+ operates and although it performs MUCH better on 8.3 than it ever did before, when I pick up my father's iPhone 5 (my old phone) the UI is *so* much smoother and the touchscreen *so* much more responsive.

A friend's 4.7" iPhone 6 is still not as smooth (I'm not talking speed here) as the iPhone 5 but it is much smoother than my 6+. Lots of guys have mentioned how the 6+ lags and freezes up now and again. I agree with the OP, the 6+ is an unfinished product. The hardware is underspecced.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

So...perhaps just the regular 6 would have been the right device then?

9. cababah macrumors 68000

The 6+ has the best battery life and display of any iPhone to date. To me, that makes up for the occasional stutter or two.

10. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I believe the stutters that is occurring on the iPhone 6+ is due to having to downscale a 2208x1242 resolution to a 1080p resolution. That takes some processing power instead of displaying at a native resolution like other iPhones.

11. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

But then he had no reason to vent here :D.

12. IamDave macrumors regular

IamDave

Each to their own I suppose. For me personally I've had my 6+ for a month now and love it! Love having a bigger screen and ridiculously long battery life (though I still charge on a night). I've never had any issues with choppy animations or it slowing down or anything like that safari works a dream for me also.

I do, however agree that it's disappointing that many developers haven't optimised versions of their apps for the 6+. Whenever I boot an unoptimised app it's like I've zoomed in and it just doesn't look right. Also despite the screen size I do sometimes feel the size for carrying in my pockets a little annoying but it's something I personally can live with. I also do sometimes miss being able to do everything one handed but again I'm adapting!

For me, I hope apple continue producing a phone of this size alongside the smaller screen sizes.

13. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

Check my sig, my 5S runs just as good as my 6 or 6+. Granted none of them have made it to 8.4 but 8.4 is BETA...

The 6 and 6+ are jailbroken on 8.1.2 and the 5S is jailbroken on 8.1. Also the g/f's iPad Air 2 runs 8.3 fine and the son's iPad mini 3 runs 8.1.2 jailbroken fine. The 5S is more than capable of running any iOS 8 builds.

14. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

My 6 Plus works great. No issues. Far from an unfinished product to me.

15. jpgr15, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015

jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

iOS updates have seemed to improve performance incrementally. Still a great phone though and I wouldn't consider getting rid of it.

16. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I had a lag issue with my iPhone 6 Plus but once I DFU restored as new the problem went away entirely. I chalk it up to something in my backup causing the issue.

No problems since. I love this thing! Beautiful display and truly all day battery life!

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats a very good possibility and a great solution.
    Restore with itunes and setup as new.
    Older backups from old ios versions or earlier idevices can have bugs that keep getting passed down.
    I know some don't like to lose 5 years worth of text conversations and such things and they stay on buggy backups for years.

18. kargurin macrumors regular

kargurin

I think there are so few pixels to push on the 5s there is no lag. A benefit of using one of the tiniest smartphones on the market. I find it hard to read anything on it.

19. barkomatic, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015

barkomatic macrumors 68040

I went to an Apple Store last weekend to check out the 6 plus thinking the reported issues might be a bit overstated. Even the display model lagged and stuttered.

20. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

The iPhone 6 Plus lags because it has a 1080p display, which is not its native resolution. In fact, iPhone 6 plus' native resolution is 1242 × 2208. Apple decided to use a 1080p panel because they are easier and cheaper to produce.

21. byrdjr222 macrumors member

I sent you a PM in regards to the sale of your 6+.

22. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

That solution fixes 99.9% of the software issues I've run into on a non-beta iOS. Ever!

23. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

I did when I got it. Should have mentioned that. Set it up as new with iOS 8.3. Every iPhone 6 plus I have used exhibits the same type of behavior. Its just not mine. The animations are not always choppy, but noticeable enough.

24. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

Got my iPhone 5S. Came with iOS 7.0.4. Debated on whether or not I should keep it on that. Decided on 8.3. 8.3. runs very well. So much more smooth than on the 6 plus. I do not understand why last year's iphone runs the latest version better than the current flagship???

25. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I ordered both on launch day. Sold the 6+ after a trial run for about a week. ;)