Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMalv

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
England
Thank you.
A waste of time not only for the typist, but think of all the time he spent making this thing. Does he live off his daddy's trust fund or somthing and can spend his life designing and making useless crap?

He's a design student. This is what they do. I saw him exhibiting it in London. It was quite fun to play with, but I was quite anxious of hitting the screen too hard!

RHustler

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
He's a design student. This is what they do. I saw him exhibiting it in London.

He was a student at Edinburgh College of Art (ECA) and I saw the iTypewriter as part of the end-of-year show earlier this year.

What the pictures don't show is how nicely made this is. Yes - it's not particularly practical, but a hell of a lot of designs that come out of design teams aren't practical - no matter how cool they look.

All the haters probably say the same thing about all the impractical concept cars that get shown at the motor shows - and they can cost $millions to put together.

erikku3000

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
With tweaking I would buy this

First off, to all the people getting so up in arms about this thing, when was the last time you actually made something? ... like carved it, welded it, sculpted it, painted it? If the answer is never than you have no idea what you're talking about. The type writer looks like it's made from machined aluminum with working keys ... that's pretty awesome for a spare time / school project.

Second off, if he tweaked it so it was QWERTY and didn't charge too much (like less than $50) I would totally buy this! My wife, who's a design major, would love this!!

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
A waste of time not only for the typist, but think of all the time he spent making this thing. Does he live off his daddy's trust fund or somthing and can spend his life designing and making useless crap?
Maybe he's been working on it in his spare time as a hobby? People who like what they do for a living will do it even when they aren't being paid for their own personal reasons, and not everyone has to devote 16 hours a day working to pay their bills like you must, so they can have recreational endeavors as well.

Or do you think model railroad enthusiasts, stamp collector, and amateur musicians all must be trust-fund kids as well if they can spend any time on their hobbies?

franciscosjb

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Mexico City - Kobol
Why do we insist in converting a beautiful touch screen device, first into a laptop with keyboards accessories, and now into a type-writer. I think its ridiculous.

better get a laptop or and old type writer...

strayts

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks this is rad?

Sure, it's a lot slower than just using the on-screen keyboard or a bluetooth keyboard, or using the dictation feature if you have the new iPad. But what this product DOES do is it forces you to slow down (assuming you're not a monster on a mechanical keyboard) and think about what you're going to say. The internet is full of those who speak too loudly and too quickly; perhaps what we need is something that makes us work for what we want to say, something that makes us craft our words in the same way that a typewriter makes us write knowing that erasing a keystroke is extra work.

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
I so love this. If I had an iPad and it worked more quickly I'd consider getting one if they weren't too expensive.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I think the better approach would have been to make a realistic typewriter that was tied to Bluetooth. Just as high-end electronic pianos and keyboards have a realistic feel and action, the typewriter could have been constructed to be realistic in feel yet translate to a Bluetooth connection for accuracy and speed sake.

There is plenty of mocking going on in this thread but there are purists that think only "real" writing can be done on a typewriter because it "makes the creative juices flow."

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
But what this product DOES do is it forces you to slow down (assuming you're not a monster on a mechanical keyboard) and think about what you're going to say.
How? All time appears to be spent searching for oddly placed keys. Also, at least half the population spend their spare time thinking about sex, not what they are going to say. (maybe what they will say to try to get some sex)

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
ya? and wheres the page on the internet discussing what YOU'VE made for fun? lets see your neat projects, shall we?

oh wait. you..dont...have...any....

How do yo know? I make useful things and make a lot of money. a lot.

I don't make idiot things no one will buy. They will only look at this thing on internet and make dumb comment on blog, but that's it for this dumb device.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Very cool

Fantastic, but only for placement in a museum of odd inventions. I guess I could see some really rich people buying one as an "Art" sculpture.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Thank you.

Or he decided to have some fun and start a hobby project. Jeez, lighten up.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I would pay good money to see Stave Ballmer’s face if someone at a meeting took out an iPad and started typing on one of these.

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
How do yo know? I make useful things and make a lot of money. a lot.

I don't make idiot things no one will buy. They will only look at this thing on internet and make dumb comment on blog, but that's it for this dumb device.

So the only reason to make something is so that you can sell it? And someone who makes something that no one will buy is an idiot? That seems a brutally limited notion of creativity.

Car companies make concept cars that they know they never will sell. Apple's R&D labs are filled with prototypes that everyone knew would never see the light of day as products. Google encourages their software engineers to spend time on pet projects, the vast majority of which will never go anywhere. Leonardo filled notebooks full of machines that were impractical, impossible, or just silly.

The point is, it's often a very good idea to build or design something for the sake of building or designing something. You learn from the process, and perhaps you create something beautiful. And beauty is its own utility.

I love this thing. Why ask it to serve a purpose? It's funny and looks great and it makes you think. And for all we know, it did serve a practical purpose. Perhaps a design competition or (as one poster claims) a school project.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
So the only reason to make something is so that you can sell it? And someone who makes something that no one will buy is an idiot? That seems a brutally limited notion of creativity.

Car companies make concept cars that they know they never will sell. Apple's R&D labs are filled with prototypes that everyone knew would never see the light of day as products. Google encourages their software engineers to spend time on pet projects, the vast majority of which will never go anywhere. Leonardo filled notebooks full of machines that were impractical, impossible, or just silly.

The point is, it's often a very good idea to build or design something for the sake of building or designing something. You learn from the process, and perhaps you create something beautiful. And beauty is its own utility.

I love this thing. Why ask it to serve a purpose? It's funny and looks great and it makes you think. And for all we know, it did serve a practical purpose. Perhaps a design competition or (as one poster claims) a school project.

You are correct of one thing. It is very very funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.