Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

One Year After Launch, Disney+ Has 73.7 Million Subscribers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's been exactly one year since the Disney+ streaming service first launched, and over the course of the last 12 months, Disney+ has gained 73.7 million subscribers, surpassing expectations.

Disney announced the impressive subscriber numbers during its fourth quarter earnings results, which went out this afternoon.
"Even with the disruption caused by COVID-19, we've been able to effectively manage our businesses while also taking bold, deliberate steps to position our company for greater long-term growth," said Bob Chapek, Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company. "The real bright spot has been our direct-to-consumer business, which is key to the future of our company, and on this anniversary of the launch of Disney+ we're pleased to report that, as of the end of the fourth quarter, the service had more than 73 million paid subscribers - far surpassing our expectations in just its first year."
Disney+ last reported subscriber numbers in August, when the streaming service had 57.5 million subscribers. Based on those numbers, Disney+ has gained 16 million subscribers in the last three months alone.

At launch, Disney's goal was to hit 60 to 90 million subscribers by 2024, a target that the company has already met. Disney+ seems to have been more successful than Apple TV+, which launched right around the same time. Apple does not provide subscriber numbers for Apple TV+ so there's no direct comparison to make, but if Apple's numbers were that high, it's likely company executives would have mentioned it.

When Apple TV+ launched, Apple offered all customers who purchased a new device a free year of service, which is a deal that's still available now. Customers who took advantage of this promotion were originally meant to start paying in November, but Apple extended the free trial until the end of January.

Apple TV+ has not been able to compete with Disney+ because Disney has an established catalog of content along with popular Star Wars and Marvel content. Apple, meanwhile, has been working to build up new original TV shows and movies, but it still trails behind Disney.

Article Link: One Year After Launch, Disney+ Has 73.7 Million Subscribers

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I bet apple has more subscribers

After giving away a year with every phone/ipad

Comment

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Our kids watch it probably the most out of the options we have (Disney, Hulu, Netflix, Starz, HBO,....). Marvel movies for bigger ones and Mickey Mouse stuff for the little ones.

Pretty good selection of family friendly movies as well for the whole family.

Reactions: Pirate!
Comment

jgreg728

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
(whispers more and more as the sentence goes on)

Heyyyy why don’t you add to that number and make Disney+ an Apple TV channelllll... no? Ok.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I still have zero interest other than for the mandalorian which I can get elsewhere
By elsewhere you mean you can pirate it? Isn't that true of anything worth watching?

Or are there other legal ways of getting it?

Anyways... I'm a little surprised Disney Plus is doing so well. Yeah, they have a lot of old content available, but, personally, I generally watch stuff once. It'd have to be top tier to watch it again, and in that case, I'd just buy the DVD - no reason to pay $7/month when Disney averages on one movie per year that's worth rewatching.

So I sign up to services for their new content. Disney has the Mandalorian and... that's it? One show? I'm supposed to pay a monthly fee for a single show?

Apple has a lot more new shows available, and while only one is of interest to me (For All Mankind), it'd be less surprising to me if Apple did better. I think Apple doesn't do better mostly because they all look like daytime TV. Very little of it looks like it belongs in primetime slots.

Last edited:
Comment

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Anyways... I'm a little surprised Disney Plus is doing so well. Yeah, they have a lot of old content available, but, personally, I generally watch stuff once. It'd have to be top tier to watch it again, and in that case, I'd just buy the DVD - no reason to pay $7/month when Disney averages on one movie per year that's worth rewatching.

So I sign up to services for their new content. Disney has the Mandalorian and... that's it? One show? I'm supposed to pay a monthly fee for a single show?

Apple has a lot more shows available, and while only one is of interest to me (For All Mankind), it'd be less surprising to me if Apple did better. I think Apple doesn't do better mostly because they all look like daytime TV. Very little of it looks like it belongs in primetime slots.
Kids. Parents with young kids find it a godsend. Especially being stuck at home. Turn it on and stick your kid in front of it. Honestly I sort of expected this from the very beginning.

Comment

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2019
Re-upped for the annual. I love Disney's content... My favorite franchises are all there, no kids required (mine are all teen and up but still love the content).

And given that I've bought a lot of their content repeatedly over the years, I find it more cost effective (and convenient) to just lease it.

Too bad Warner Bros. didn't do the same with their IPs... I would have loved all the DC, Potter-verse, Matrix, and Rings-verse content in one service.

Comment

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Apple has a lot more shows available, and while only one is of interest to me (For All Mankind), it'd be less surprising to me if Apple did better. I think Apple doesn't do better mostly because they all look like daytime TV. Very little of it looks like it belongs in primetime slots.
Hahaha 😂😂😂.

Delusion: convince yourself.

Partiality in these forums never ceases to amaze me. No, Apple does NOT have “a lot more shows available”, they have a substantially fewer number of titles to choose from. Also it is more likely to find something worth watching/rewatching on Disney Plus than on ATV+ and I am not talking about kids shows, I mean for the broader audience (it includes Marvel, Pixar, National Geographic, Hulu, and so much more). The comparison is absurd.

Many people citing/laughing and almost cynically bullying D+ for having The Mandalorian as a very successful show, I find it remarkable that they were able to kick it off with such a hit so quickly, for a service than launched AFTER ATV+, something we cannot say about the latter.

Last edited:
Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
By elsewhere you mean you can pirate it? Isn't that true of anything worth watching?

Or are there other legal ways of getting it?

Apple doesn’t have anywhere near the amount of shows Disney does. You are wrong, wrong, wrong.

Reactions: derekamoss
Comment

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
You can technically get anything “elsewhere” so why subscribe to anything?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: - is giving your kit the digital equivalent of AIDS really worth it? Not to mention you're stealing (in a public forum no less), and contributing to job losses in the industry.

Even the "clean" downloads can have hidden payloads that you probably don't want to know about, but good luck proving that to law enforcement if they come knocking. Digital steganography enables torrent sites to be a highly effective way of distributing illegal content (disguised a film / tv series) outside of the "dark web".

It's not worth it at all.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202
Comment

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
Copyright infringement ≠ stealing
"Copyright infringement" would be taking copyrighted material (say, music) and using it in something like a video, or another music project, or playing it during a broadcast, etc. However, taking a copy of something and consuming said content is stealing.

You ripping a DVD and putting it on a personal storage location for personal consumption is fine though. Just don't share it with others.

Comment

Samuel Sosa

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2020
6.99x 73.7 million=$49,419,300 per month. They have no reason not to be the best original content provider.

Comment

Kabeyun

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Apple TV+ has not been able to compete with Disney+ because Disney has an established catalog of content along with popular Star Wars and Marvel content.
Pardon me for saying so, but there’s no chance that Apple is trying to compete whatsoever with Disney+. They’re not idiots. A ground-up streaming service focusing on original shows versus a massive library of some of the world’s most loved and demanded content? Really? Are we supposed to infer anything from these comparative numbers other than that? They’re different products. I don’t even care if ATV+ acquires a big established media library. That’s not what I use it for.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.