OnLeaks: Budget iPhone X to Have 6-Inch Screen With Notch, Single Rear Camera, and Aluminum Frame

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 1, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is widely rumored to release what will essentially be a lower-priced but lesser-featured iPhone X later this year. Ahead of then, renders have surfaced that may reveal what the device will look like.

[​IMG]

Steve Hemmerstoffer, who runs the OnLeaks account on Twitter, has teamed up with the blog MySmartPrice to share photos and a video of the alleged 6.1-inch iPhone, expected to be announced in September alongside the second-generation iPhone X and a larger 6.5-inch model dubbed the iPhone X Plus.

In addition to the 6.1-inch display, the renders suggest the device will have a notch like the iPhone X, presumably for Face ID given the lack of a home button. The device also has a glass back, making wireless charging a possibility, and an aluminum frame like the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

The renders also suggest the device will sport a single rear camera, whereas the iPhone X has a dual setup with telephoto and wide-angle lenses.

The rest of the device is par for course for an iPhone, with a Lightning connector and speaker grilles along the bottom, volume buttons and a mute switch along the left side, and a power button on the right side.

The renders corroborate information previously shared by former KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who also said the 6.1-inch iPhone will feature a single-lens rear camera and aluminum frame. He also said it will have an LCD, 3GB of RAM, and perhaps most interesting of all, apparently lack 3D Touch.

Kuo said the 6.1-inch iPhone will be priced from between $700 and $800 in the United States, so tradeoffs were inevitable, including the lack of an OLED, stainless steel frame, 3D Touch, and dual-lens rear camera system. The 6.1-inch iPhone could also be slightly thicker at 8.3mm, versus the iPhone X at 7.7mm.

Earlier today, Korean website The Bell claimed the 6.1-inch iPhone might not launch until November, but the more likely scenario is that Apple unveils and releases all of its new iPhones in September, as the company has reportedly resolved the supply chain issues that led to a staggered rollout last year.

Article Link: OnLeaks: Budget iPhone X to Have 6-Inch Screen With Notch, Single Rear Camera, and Aluminum Frame

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

3. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

There already is budget iPhone X ... it's called iPhone 8

4. Baymowe335 macrumors 68000

This appears to be shaping up as a good value for iPhone buyers.

5. windels macrumors regular

windels

Fingers crossed for a dual sim option. (Who am I even kidding.)

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

8.3mm thick, remember, that’s what people have been asking for! (Assuming bigger battery, of course)

7. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Yes, but with bezels.
    Anyway this fall ebay/craiglist will be full of iPhone X with a better display, 3D touch and dual camera.

I'm not saying this phone would be useless, I think it would sell pretty well but is not a interesting upgrade for people with a recent iPhone like a 7 or 8.

8. aking83 macrumors regular

aking83

9. Dave245 macrumors 603

He is a very good leaker as well so I believe this, it will be a great phone for those that don’t want to shell out for the iPhone X or the iPhone X Plus, unless they do anything that will tempt me to buy, I’m happy with my iPhone X for another year.

10. Shlooky macrumors regular

The future is eSIM :)

11. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Maybe the omission wasn’t intentional; Apple could’ve just forgotten 3D Touch existed. I do that.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

Except for the lack of 3DT. If the model had 3DT it would be an instant sale in my mind.

13. Baymowe335 macrumors 68000

My guess is it still will.

14. SamRyouji macrumors member

SamRyouji

Maybe, just maybe, this will be the replacement for SE. If this replaces the SE, all 2018 lineup will have streamlined and homogenous designs. Albeit with different features for differenciation, of course.

15. BruiserB macrumors 65816

I honestly wouldn’t miss any of the things they might leave out. Feature bloat is causing phones to cost too much.

I don’t expect my phone to be a professional camera. Good photos are fine. I have an iPhone X and like the new form factor, but don’t get what’s so life changing about OLED. I never remember to 3D Touch anything. I just want a decent sized screen, fast performance, and the ability to do ApplePay and whatever new NFC features may be coming. Probably wouldn’t switch to this phone, but would be interested in a future version of it once my X comes to its end.

16. triangletechie macrumors regular

Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to see the details/make edits for a HomePod in the Home app is via 3D touch. How's that going to work on this phone?

17. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

How are they gonna have a notch on the low end LED model? Will the top just have a seamless vertical space bezel where the notch components are?

I thought LED's had to be square, and couldn't be shaped however you want, unlike OLED?

18. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

I wish Apple would just make the same exact phone in 2 or 3 physical sizes and be done with it. What a sloppy product line they have now.

19. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

But one of the main, if not the main, appeal of the iPhone SE is the 4-inch LCD which allows for a smaller physical device. Now the current SE does have almost an inch worth of bezels (4.87 inch total length), but this 6.1" phone will still be physically larger and (at least) twice as expensive.

Curved LCDs for devices like phones have been a thing for at least a year.

20. 78Bandit macrumors 6502

78Bandit

At $700 it is basically a full-screen display replacement for the iPhone 8 which has a single camera module.

At $800 it would be a replacement for the 8 Plus which has a dual-camera setup.

I don't mind compromises to hit a particular price point, but come on. If it is priced at $800 then at least give us the dual camera setup already featured on the current $800 model.

21. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

I just hope that they can make the camera lens flush with the rest of the case (or close to it), instead of sticking out half a mile like on my iPhone X.

It always bugs me how the iPhone X cannot sit flat on a table, and wobbles around whenever you use it. SO ANNOYING!

I would happily downgrade to a "low cost" iPhone X if it meant fixing this.

22. skellener macrumors 68000

skellener

Aluminum back and cheaper? Now you're talking!

23. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

I’m getting confused..
    Is this one of the (rumoured) three new phones we expect in September, or in addition to those?

24. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

One of the three.

1. A spec update to the current iPhone X form factor;
    2. A larger iPhone X Plus form factor (with OLED);
    3. This 6.1" LCD phone (perhaps the only iPhone 9 option).

25. cliffster82 macrumors regular