Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Blakely028

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Scotland
Hi there, I was generally browsing through the Apple UK Store and I had clicked onto the iPhone store page, and I got this image:

Whatcya think?

Attachments

• iPhone3.GIF
    iPhone3.GIF
    13.2 KB · Views: 549

btnnaz

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Online Apple Store is Out of iPhones

Why else would both the us and uk online store be sold out

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Oh my god! I sure hope that ist a sign of a 3g phone arriving sooner than we thought! :confused:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
If it were coming Tuesday press invitations would already have been sent out and they haven't. It could theoretically be announced as soon as Friday, I suppose, but I think chances are there just won't be any iPhone sales between now and WWDC. Some of you will recall that Apple once suspended iMac sales for an even longer period of time before a new model came out, and with a high profile product like the iPhone Apple has added incentive to not anger new customers by making their newly purchased phone obsolete by announcing a whole new model a week or two later.

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
If it were coming Tuesday press invitations would already have been sent out and they haven't. It could theoretically be announced as soon as Friday, I suppose, but I think chances are there just won't be any iPhone sales between now and WWDC. Some of you will recall that Apple once suspended iMac sales for an even longer period of time before a new model came out, and with a high profile product like the iPhone Apple has added incentive to not anger new customers by making their newly purchased phone obsolete by announcing a whole new model a week or two later.

Apple would NOT close a iPhone sale for a periode. It would cost them a fortune...

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Apple would NOT close a iPhone sale for a periode. It would cost them a fortune...

That's funny, I'm pretty sure that's what they've just done. Can you order the iPhone right now? No. Is there a new model coming out today? Also no.

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
That's funny, I'm pretty sure that's what they've just done. Can you order the iPhone right now? No. Is there a new model coming out today? Also no.

Maybe a new model WILL come out sooner. Not today, but maybe in next week. All I'm saying is that it would be odd to close the sale for a month

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Not if they know that they'll more than make up for lost sales during that period as soon as the new iPhone is released.

No way! Thats not the way a business-mann runs his business! He'll try to get every penny of peoples pockets by selling as much as he can.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006

Generally a company would not do such a thing, but as we all know, Apple is not like other companies. There are a lot a variables at play including marketing/hype, consumer backlash and remorse (which Apple is very familiar with and susceptible to), actual future price/product/model changes, production/inventory, and secrecy.

The situation trickles to this: Will a material amount of revenue (or profit, marketshare, etc.) be lost by would-be iPhone purchasers buying something else in the mean time? If the answer is no, than Apple can hold off until that point is reached. Even if that point is reached before WWDC, I have a hard time imagining Steve just putting it out there without his introduction; so I imagine the earliest will be WWDC anyway.

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Generally a company would not do such a thing, but as we all know, Apple is not like other companies. There are a lot a variables at play including marketing/hype, consumer backlash and remorse (which Apple is very familiar with and susceptible to), actual future price/product/model changes, production/inventory, and secrecy.

The situation trickles to this: Will a material amount of revenue (or profit, marketshare, etc.) be lost by would-be iPhone purchasers buying something else in the mean time? If the answer is no, than Apple can hold off until that point is reached. Even if that point is reached before WWDC, I have a hard time imagining Steve just putting it out there without his introduction; so I imagine the earliest will be WWDC anyway.

Great answer. It all about Apples trust to their consumers :) - US;) (not like US, but you and me :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.