OnLive's Gaming-on-Demand Service Demoed on an iPad

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A company called OnLive has been making headlines since 2009 when it first announced its streaming video-game service. OnLive promises to deliver console-quality games to Macs, PCs and your TV by remotely streaming the game from their central servers. The customer's home computer need not be fast enough to render high resolution graphics -- instead it simply has to play back what amounts to a video stream of the game, while user controls are sent back to the central server. OnLive promises instant access to major titles with no installs or downloads required. OnLive is said to be launching today with an initial lineup of 23 games.

OnLive has also been showing off a tech demo of the service on an iPad. They demoed it at D8 and TouchArcade managed to get video of it running PC/Xbox360 game Borderlands at E3 2010.
Because of its raw tech demo state, the controls are less than ideal. The client uses a weird virtual joystick button layout that I don't really think would be very useful for anything outside of just demonstrating what is possible. The following video walks through the OnLive iPad client, and shows Borderlands running, an XBOX and PC game. Also, after that, we load up Dragon Age: Origins, which didn't work because it didn't have gamepad controls, and finally we spectated on some games in session by other OnLive members.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpFzpF0msrU

Unfortunately, OnLive has made no promises about actually releasing an iPad client for their service, but makes for an eye-catching demo. OnLive even demoed Crysis running on an iPhone back in 2009.

Article Link: OnLive's Gaming-on-Demand Service Demoed on an iPad

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
What ever happened to all those peripherals demoed with OS 3.0?? Seems like a good reason to make a gaming controller.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I want this so badly! I signed up for the service last year, and now that they're getting ready to launch, I've qualified to get a few months free. I absolutely cannot wait to try this baby out. And it actually LOOKS GOOD on the iPad.

If this becomes as successful as Steam, it could change the gaming industry.

yiyopr

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
Damn it!!!!!!!!!

I was going to invent this when I grow up. They beat me to it!! :mad:

Oh well, I guess I'll have to invent something else (rocket backpack). :cool:

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
What ever happened to all those peripherals demoed with OS 3.0?? Seems like a good reason to make a gaming controller.
I know what you mean. I thought there would be all kinds of things we would be pairing our phones with. Still can't skip tracks with a stereo Bluetooth headset :(

But anyway, if this service could go legit with this in the app store. All I want is a bluetooth Xbox 360 knockoff controller and some full screen.

That demo was awesome. It's like a magic trick.

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
Thats really really stupid. Especially when they can just look at other games that have the controlls BELOW the game.
Not sure how heavy the ipad feels in the hand, but i'm guessing he'd drop it if the controls were at the bottom. If it were me i'd have it on the two sides so you can operate the controls without taking hands off..

Of course, a proper game controller (or even just mapped to the external keyboard) would be tons better :D

TheFlashGuy

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
Manchester, UK
Very exciting tech, but why get a chimp to demo it on the iPad? Three quarters of that video was the guys arms waving around in front of a paused title screen. Lets see some action!

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
From the video, performance looks much better than what everybody expected. Now get some EU servers up and running. :D

Slim02

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
What people seem to forget is no internet means no play... If OnLive goes under you lost every thing you spend your money on.. So what do you have to show? Nothing but money through away.. It is just better to give your money to a homeless guy...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
What people seem to forget is no internet means no play... If OnLive goes under you lost every thing you spend your money on.. So what do you have to show? Nothing but money through away.. It is just better to give your money to a homeless guy...
It's a subscription service. By that logic why would you ever sign up for:

cable tv
internet service
cellphone
netflix
electricity

Similarly, you have "nothing to show" after you are done with those subscription services as well.

edit: I see there are per-game (rent/own?) charges too it seems. The details aren't clear yet.

Slim02

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
It's a subscription service. By that logic why would you ever sign up for:

cable tv
internet service
cellphone
netflix
electricity

Similarly, you have "nothing to show" after you are done with those subscription services as well.

edit: I see there are per-game (rent/own?) charges too it seems. The details aren't clear yet.
The thing with that is you are getting a service.. Are you paying $20 a movie to watch it or are you getting 6+ rent movies... See you are paying $40+ for games you do not own in your hand... Paying a small fee for a service is not the same as buying stuff that you can keep... Also OnLive you pay a monthly fee plus you have to PAY for games that you really do not own.. Also your internet goes down you can not play your games on OnLive.. If OnLive goes under you lose your bought games..

From OnLine website

(No purchase is necessary for the free first year, and while there are lots of demos and other great stuff that are also free, this offer does not include games, features and other services that are for purchase. Eligibility requirements and other terms and conditions are detailed here.)

Here is how it works:

Sign up for the Founding Members Offer by completing the information on the sign-up page for the Founding Member Waiting List. You should receive a thank you email from OnLive indicating that OnLive successfully received your information. Each person may only sign up for a Founding Members Offer once and a given credit card number may only be used for a single Founding Members Offer activation. Any sign-up forms that are incomplete, illegible, altered, forged, mechanically reproduced or are generated by proxy or any electronic/automated means will not be placed on the Founding Member Waiting List, and multiple sign-ups using the same email address or activations using the same credit card number may be rejected. You agree that OnLive may use your sign-up information to contact you about OnLive or to offer you other OnLive-related news and information and special offers. The collection and use of your personal information is governed by our Privacy Policy.

Look for an email invitation from OnLive and follow the instructions in that email in order to activate your Account on the OnLive Game Service. OnLive will be sending out invitations subject to service availability and your satisfaction of other eligibility criteria described below as well as any other terms specified herein. There are a limited number of available Accounts in each region of the Offer Territory. Eligible Founding Member Waiting List registrants will be sent email invitations in the order that valid sign-ups for the Founding Members Offer are received by OnLive and as Accounts in each region become available. You must respond to the invitation within 7 days of receiving it and visit OnLive’s website to activate your Account. If you do not respond within this time period, your email invitation will expire, and you will lose your opportunity to participate in this offer.

Start using the OnLive Game Service. The monthly Service Fee will be waived for the first twelve (12) months after you activate your Account on the Service. During this twelve (12) month period, you will have access to the Service which includes access to free demos and community features, such as member Profiles, Friending, Chat, Spectating and Brag Clip™ videos.

No purchase is necessary to participate in this offer, but games, content and other services offered on the Service for purchase or other consideration are not included in this offer, and their access or use will be subject to whatever terms are applicable to the access or use of such games, content or other services.

P.S.Your Internet connection and PC or Mac® must have sufficient network quality and performance to use the OnLive Game Service at High Definition (HD) resolution. Although OnLive has found that most computers with at least a 5Mbps wired residential Internet connection are sufficient, many factors affect network quality and computer performance, and OnLive cannot guarantee that your configuration will work or continue to work.

NickK1066

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
No comment about playing games with 1/2 second between you pressing the button on your controller and then seeing the update on the screen infront of you.. network latency is the key problem.

So if you have 300,000 subscribers it means they need 300,000 PCs performing the games rendering unless the games developers architect the games engines in a completely new way.. locking the games developers into their propreitary SDK (as well as requiring specific skills).

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
The thing with that is you are getting a service.. Are you paying $20 a movie to watch it or are you getting 6+ rent movies... See you are paying $40+ for games you do not own in your hand... Paying a small fee for a service is not the same as buying stuff that you can keep... Also OnLive you pay a monthly fee plus you have to PAY for games that you really do not own.. Also your internet goes down you can not play your games on OnLive.. If OnLive goes under you lose your bought games..
I understand your concern, but Steam seems to work pretty good on that model. Except for the monthly fee of course.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Highly skeptical of OnLive. I tried to be part of their beta. I have great cable internet access. I went through all of their tests but did not receive a beta invitation. Oh well.

I get lag with Skype. I don't know how they are going to eliminate lag unless you practically live next door to their servers. They also sound like a questionable business.

fluentinsix

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
So if you have 300,000 subscribers it means they need 300,000 PCs performing the games rendering unless the games developers architect the games engines in a completely new way.. locking the games developers into their propreitary SDK (as well as requiring specific skills).
If you have 300,000 subscribers who play for an average of an hour or two a day you need 12-24,000, even assuming everyone playing is playing a game which requires a single high powered PC to run (where in reality the likelihood is that many of those will be 'casual' games, several of which could run on a single machine).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Unfortunately this wont work because of Wifi, you're not "allowed" to use it with OnLive. I say unfortunately... if you've seen the subscription model and the latency you'd be thankful to not be using it.

You pay for a subscription, you also have to buy games for it. When the subscription runs out you no longer have access to the games you bought.

It's too flawed. I'll stick with Steam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.