Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Only a few Dozen iPhones in UK's O2 and Carphone Warehouse Locations

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Macenstein republishes an email written from Stephen Shurrock, O2's Sales Director, apologizing to a customer about the poor experience with O2's iPhone launch. He explains the massive traffic that the site received:
We run one of the busiest and most robust web stores in the UK. I appreciate that it is little comfort to you given your experience, but we had invested heavily to add a huge amount of additional capacity, 250 times its normal rate, and back-up systems. We tested this carefully in advance. The massive simultaneous crush, partly created by our open and honest communications approach with the registered community, exceeded even our worst case assumptions. Demand was at 13,000 orders per second. Frankly, we have to admit we just weren’t prepared for this unprecedented level of demand. No website is.
Shurrock also notes that the next opportunity to get an iPhone 3G in the U.K. will be on launch day at O2 and Carphone Warehouse locations. Apple will also have supply but will only be accepting new customer contracts.

Most concerning is that he describes that there will only be "on average a few dozen iPhones in each O2 or CPW store."

So, if you are an existing O2 customer and wish to upgrade to the iPhone 3G, you better get in line now.

Article Link

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Yeah, here you go, either O2's is just saying this to whip up excitement for friday, or the numbers are true and both Apple (with stocking the UK) or O2 have really ballsed this up royaly. Why is it we're getting f**ed about with this released. Im buying a 1st gen, sod O2 and Apple.

Comment

friekunater

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I hope people down on Wall Street are reading this -- 13000 orders per second!! AAPL is going to skyrocket!

Comment

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I think the 13,000 was server requests or peak load. Or most of us clicking refresh 2000 times since none of us could get through!

I'm worried about Friday. Apple will be selling iPhones to new customers only, so presumably as a non-iPhone but current O2 contract holder I can't use them. There are only a dozen or so Apple Stores in London, most of which are in shopping centres, and I would imagine that if any store has an overnight queue it will be the flagship store on Regents Street. There are many more O2 and Carphone Warehouse stores but I worry that units will be spread far more thinly across these.

I'm taking the gamble of taking the first tube to one of the less central O2 stores and hoping that there won't be too many people there. I could quite easily see people coming out of clubs in the centre, seeing some queues and then thinking they could get a piece of the action.

I'm going to swing by my intended O2 store on Thursday night to confirm that they will be open and expecting units, and to check that a line has not already formed! There are going to be a lot of disappointed people on Friday, not to mention many weeks to come.

Comment

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
I'm planning on swinging leisurely by an Apple store this Friday to get my new iPhone 3G, didn't expect there'd be any lines this time around. But now that I think about it, I've heard from several of my friends that they're going to be first-time iPhone buyers... which could indicate a lot more demand out there than I figured.

I hope they don't run out of stock here in the US, too!! I guess at least I've got my iPhone 2.5G to keep using for a while if they do.

Comment

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Ok, 13,000 per second is a lot; fair play. BUT, they MUST have known that if they text 100,000 customers at 8am, a load of them are gonna go straight onto their computers and try and order an iphone... I think they're even bigger idiots now as they've said they didn't have any idea they would get that response... Why? Why didn't they think they'd get that response, did they think the 100,000 people who signed up to get a text message were just kidding??!

If they wanted to protect their servers and limit the number of simultaneous orders they could have a) staggered the text messages randomly throughout the day or b) did a soft launch and simply relied on word of mouth to spread the news that you could order online... At least that way the phones would have gone to the "faithful" ;)

As for O2 stores only having a few dozen iphone's on launch day; the cynical side of me thinks "yeah right, just another way to whip everyone up into a frenzy", but the pessimistic side of me thinks "oh great; we're getter short-changed / shafted yet again...."

I honestly don't know what to think now... I'm tempted to just hang onto my gen 1 for a while and order the 3g model in a few weeks online, and in the meantime just have fun with the app store until my phone arrives.

I'm afraid the whole 6 hours of O2 online crap i went through has taken the edge off my excitement about this launch.... This is all just starting to smell of corporate BS....

I don't think O2 are being honest with their customers in ANY way whatsoever. I just wish i could just order straight from Apple, i trust them (rightly or wrongly)...

Comment

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
UK
i put my card details in but nothing loading after so i'm not too sure whats going to happen i probably didn't get through. But I'm not happy as i though as a current iphone user i was garanteed a new iphone reserved thats what my text from o2 says!?

I live in street so i hope the tiny o2 shop gets some iphones and they have some left!

Comment

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
i put my card details in but nothing loading after so i'm not too sure whats going to happen i probably didn't get through. But I'm not happy as i though as a current iphone user i was garanteed a new iphone reserved thats what my text from o2 says!?

I live in street so i hope the tiny o2 shop gets some iphones and they have some left!

I agree. I was under the impression the whole "pre-order online" thing was just for existing iphone customers anyway! More corporate BS :(

Comment

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
"Demand was at 13,000 orders per second."

Wow. Thats just amazing.

That is complete and utter BOLLOCKS.

There is no way that that figure is accurate. Absolutely no way. You really think they sold a million iPhones in the UK in a minute and a half?

:rolleyes:

Comment

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I hope people down on Wall Street are reading this -- 13000 orders per second!! AAPL is going to skyrocket!

Well lets just hope Wall Street also reads the various news papers and sites concerning the way O2 handled yesterdays so called "pre registration" day!:eek:

Comment

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Guys, 13,000 iPhones ordered a second, is just plain wrong, or a lie at best.

780,000 iphones ORDERED/sold in ONE minute?

No. Lol.

O2 are a bunch of idiots!

Comment

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
That is complete and utter BOLLOCKS.

There is no way that that figure is accurate. Absolutely no way. You really think they sold a million iPhones in the UK in a minute and a half?

:rolleyes:

Exactly!

It is CBS. The worrying thing is the rest of the world will read O2's bollocks of "oh we are so great we advertised the iphone so well we were selling 13,000 per second!" Not the real story of how O2 cocked it all up!

Comment
T

Trebuchet

I'm reliably informed O2 sold 200,000 online and will initially have 250,000 to sell in stores.

Comment

*GG*

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2005
Scotland
I am an existing iPhone user, and I contacted two 02 stores yesterday and was told by both that it would be unlikely that I would be able to upgrade until August. :(

Comment

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I am an existing iPhone user, and I contacted two 02 stores yesterday and was told by both that it would be unlikely that I would be able to upgrade until August. :(

If this is true, it really, really shows no one at O2 knows what is going on! Its just one cock up after another with them. On the flip side we have Apple saying that the US stores will be getting the stock replenished daily!

O2, what is going on, Apple, what are you playing at with the UK stock??

Comment

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Speaking to some O2 stores today they seem to think they will be selling only 8GB's on launch Day, and will get 16GB 1-2 weeks later?? And they seemed pretty adamant at this. What a disappointing launch day it will be if this is the case.

Im so glad ive kept my 2.5 iPhone, i may just stick with this for awhile and enjoy 2.0

Comment

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Speaking to some O2 stores today they seem to think they will be selling only 8GB's on launch Day, and will get 16GB 1-2 weeks later?? And they seemed pretty adamant at this. What a disappointing launch day it will be if this is the case.

Im so glad ive kept my 2.5 iPhone, i may just stick with this for awhile and enjoy 2.0

You're right there.

Thinking about it, the thing I'm most looking forward to is the app store and the new software. The 3G iPhone isn't exactly a massive upgrade hardware-wise. If I don't get one on Friday, I'll just enjoy the app store too!

Comment

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK

Looks like lots of people will be doing this, i know im getting a 1st gen. Not bothering with O2's joke....how bad does this look for both Apple and O2, with hundreds/thousands of existing iphone users going back to the 1st gen?

Comment

OS X Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
UK
at the prices they are, this article should be headlined:

"Only a few dozen people buy 3G iPhones in UK"
:D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.