Open Star Pro!?! Half the price of the mac pro!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jan 17, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

2. justit macrumors 6502a

Have fun with that. A 3.2 Quad can heat a room. MP has the best designed case for cooling.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Your link is for a different machine. I wouldn't buy either, forget the legalilities, neither are guaranteed to work. If you want to run OSX and don't have a need to buy a real Mac then try searching for the term hackintosh on these forums (titles only) and you will find the right direction. Buying a clone via eBay seems like the least attractive option to me.

4. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I never said anything about buying it, I just thought it was interesting to see the first clone machine.

I'm waiting for the Nehalem Mac Pro. :D

5. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

It isn't a 'open source' mac pro by any means, most people confuse the two when they see the quad, mac pro's use Xeon server/workstation processors while the Core 2 Duo is a consumer processor.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The first clone machine has been around for a while. Google "Psystar".

7. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yea, I know the differences. I used to own the 2.66ghz 4 core mac pro and the 2.8ghz 8 core mac pro (twice) which I sold them off to wait for the Nehalem.

I just thought it would be illegal to sell any types of clones. I've messed with a q9300 inspiron and gotten kalyway to run osx 10.5.3-4 before which ran 95% of programs I threw at it but still didnt feel authentic enough and the design was just not right, but hey I guess this is the closest to the xMac we'll ever get.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

As for the legality, Google "Apple v. Psystar".

9. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I know about the Psystar but I thought they were still "dealing" with Apple at court, No?

I could come up with the exact same specs to build a perfect hackint0sh and sell them on ebay since 2 years ago even.

But I always never had the nerve to do it, its got to be somewhat illegal otherwise I'm going into a new kind of business on ebay and especially since I live only 15 minutes away from Directron.com.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

As long as you don't sell them with OS X installed, what would be illegal about selling a PC?

11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Clearly advertising that its a mac clone alone should indicate that you have hackint0sh preloaded as thats the only way to make it a mac clone running leopard and the main point of the purchase.

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

Actually "Clones" existed long before Psystar.

Macintosh Clone

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Doesnt matter who's cloned first or whatnot.. the whole point is that someone is making money off it now. And on ebay at that!

If this is legit damn I think I'll start my own small ebay store full of customized awesome hardware preloaded with leopard hackint0shes!!

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that thing:
    • is nowhere near the build quality of any computer out there
    • is slow as hell compared to an actual MP
    • would not last 1 year

haha how pathetic.

15. boonchunt macrumors newbie

16. TrapOx macrumors 6502

That "clone" is a pile of poo. Its barely specd better than an iMac.

17. m1stake macrumors 68000

Not that this computer isn't a joke in it's own right (If you can't set up OSX86, you probably shouldn't have a cell phone), but none of your assumptions are accurate.

1. "Build quality" isn't something you can judge from a picture. It's using the same parts as you could buy yourself.

2. A 3.2Ghz quad is a 3.2Ghz quad no matter what you do to it. This thing is a very fancy computer, but not a workstation.

3. What makes you think it wouldn't last a year? Nothing, computers last a long time.

18. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Comments like this makes me ashamed to be an apple fanboy, very very ignorant.

Like m1stake has said same hardware is same hardware. Intel quad used in this setup is not a bootleg version or anything.

19. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

looks cool in its own way. Some pretty good specs as well. I'll applaud these guys who're trying to make a living, but for now i'll stick with my mac pro :)

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

surprisingly, OSX86 is quite hard to setup, even when you have a long list of supported hardware. have you ever tried it?

1. "Build quality" means how it is built, not the quality of the parts. E.G. how it looks inside, my guess is its quite ugly.

2. yes, yes, fancy. but no MP.

3. Go back to point 1 & 2 for your answer :). Let's face it, a cheap rip-off computer is not going to last anywhere near the real thing, or even perform like it!

well clearly your not a fanboi, because you cant write it right :p.

but its not the same hardware..:confused: the MP has a Xeon server grade CPU, this uses a (nearly) outdated Quad C2D, the RAM is slow and the motherboard probably only supports a max of 16GB of the stuff. oh and even the bass MP is a dual-quad core, so my thinking is it would be faster then the hack for the better written programs...

i guess im just trying to say that i would not buy that.. id build it myself because you can never be assured of the product.

21. gotzero macrumors 68040

How many of these posts are we going to see. 1. It does not use a Xeon, 2. It only has one quad-core.

A Mac Pro is going to be inexpensive because the processors are expensive. The rest of the hardware also happens to be fantastic, and the platform is designed to run hard, all the time, without even getting slightly stressed.

I have come to appreciate the cableless (at least stock) interior of my Mac Pro, and the fact that it is quiet and cool even when I am using it heavily for extended periods. Being able to change hard drives/RAM/etc with no tools is also a nice touch.

It is one of the things where it is kind of hard to understand the worth until you use it, but if you are truly a poweruser and want a Mac, it is hard to imagine the MP not being worth it.

Also, your linked auction is not the same specs as your picture, and the auction contradicts itself several times and uses Apple's images. Not exactly the most trustworthy...

22. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Yeah, I don't have anything against Hackintoshes, but that ain't a Mac Pro. More like the infamous mid-tower.

And also, as previously mentioned, I bet that thing's louder then a vacuum cleaner...

23. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Funny how I never compared it to the mac pros since I already know that the mac pros has a xeon and these just have a quad non xeon, I should know I've already owned the mac pro 3 times.

Anyways this is an xMac that people have been wanting and half the price of a mac pro.

I've built hackint0sh's and while I wouldn't say it's easy but anyone with basic knowledge of computers can figure it out.

I never posted or commented about how this was a better solution to the mac pro in price/quality. I just merely posted it about how this was the first clone that I've seen someone selling on ebay.

I don't know why but everytime you post a different manufacture computer in these threads and while not really praising it over the mac equvalent or in this case people automatically assume that this is a mac pro replacement (which I never thought) attack without thinking.

I just merely posted to see if anyone has seen something like this for sale on eBay or if this was actually 100% legal. I would never buy something like this because I'm waiting for the nehalem mac pro and there are no other substituion. I can build one similar if not better for $900 if I wanted to anyways.

24. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Umm, did you look at your thread title? I'm just sayin'... ;)

25. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

But if you read my post I don't praise it over the mac pro nor say it's just as good. I guess I made a mistake to compare it to the mac pro vaguely on the title of this thread since there is nothing else to compare it to and from my title to get peoples attention.

Either way people are automatically thinking that I'm saying that the this is a better solution as to a real mac pro, which I'm not.

I love the mac pro and probably won't buy any other desktop and currently waiting for the nehalem mac pro.

I just want to make sure this is legal because seriously thinking about building my own hackint0sh dirt cheap and sell them on eBay with a hefty profit.