Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OpenAI today announced the launch of an official ChatGPT app for the iPhone and the iPad. OpenAI's ChatGPT has been accessible on the web and has been made available on iOS through multiple third-party apps, many of which are little better than scam apps, but this legitimate version will give users a safe way to use ChatGPT on the go.

chatgpt-for-iphone.jpg

ChatGPT is an AI-based chatbot that uses generative artificial intelligence to answer questions and provide advice on all manner of subjects. OpenAI says that ChatGPT can help with all of the following:
  • Instant answers: Get precise information without sifting through ads or multiple results.
  • Tailored advice: Seek guidance on cooking, travel plans, or crafting thoughtful messages.
  • Creative inspiration: Generate gift ideas, outline presentations, or write the perfect poem.
  • Professional input: Boost productivity with idea feedback, note summarization, and technical topic assistance.
  • Learning opportunities: Explore new languages, modern history, and more at your own pace.
History is synced across devices, so you can see your ChatGPT interactions both on the web and on iOS devices, and it integrates the Whisper speech recognition system.

As of right now, ChatGPT for iOS is limited to the United States, but OpenAI plans to bring it to additional countries in the coming weeks. The company says that the app will see continuous feature and safety improvements based on user feedback.

The ChatGPT app is free to use, but it does cost $19.99 per month for the ChatGPT Plus service. That is the same price available through the web, with Plus providing availability even when demand is high, faster response times, and priority access to new features such as GPT-4, the more advanced version of ChatGPT.

An OpenAI account is required to use the ChatGPT app, and it can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: OpenAI Launches Official ChatGPT App for iPhone and iPad

Reactions: mhnd

airwalk331

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
I can't set it up because it wants to text me a code to verify my account but I never get the text and there's no way to have them send an automated call instead...

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Is this a joke? That’s the least amount of personal data an app could gather….
Actually, the least amount of data an app can gather is zero. This wants 5.

5 > 0

Look at some of the other ChatGPT powered apps such as Genie - AI Chatbot. It only uses one data to track you... Identifiers. No "Contact Info." No "User Content"

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Just got a notice that they flagged my account for potential abuse, haven't used it yet because I asked it to resend the verification code. And it doesn't resend.

Chuckle

Attachments

• IMG_5181.png
    IMG_5181.png
    196.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Wow
Reactions: mhnd

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Interesting.
A search in the App Store does not bring this up at all in the first three pages.
The Direct Link works.
Yeah, when I did a search for "OpenAI," "ChatGPT," or OpenAI ChatGPT" a bunch of garage apps came up first.

I don't know how far down I scrolled before I gave up and used a direct link to look at (not download) it.

Apple must be bringing in a lot of $$$ from people downloading those unofficial ChatGPT apps and making in-app purchases through them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.