Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The minimalist Opera browser designed for the Mac was today updated with native Apple silicon support for M1 Macs, introducing notable speed improvements.

opera-m1-macs.jpg

With this release, the Opera browser runs two times faster on M1 Macs compared to the previous generation of the browser for smoother and quicker browsing performance.

Along with M1 Mac support, today's update lets users set keyboard shortcuts to access Opera's Flow feature, which connects the browser on the Mac with Opera on iOS or Android. Flow is end-to-end encrypted and can be used to send notes, images, links, files, and more.

There's also now an option to create shortcuts to Opera's built-in Crypto Wallet and the Player feature for accessing Apple Music, Spotify, and YouTube Music. Custom shortcuts can be accessed by clicking on the three-dot icon at the bottom of the sidebar and choosing the Configure shortcuts option.

The latest version of the Opera browser can be downloaded from the Opera website. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Opera Browser Gains Native M1 Mac Support

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
The transition to M1 seems to be going extremely well. Not that I ever had serious doubts about it, but I'm still glad to see it happening.

Last edited:

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Can you prove that safari has this?
I would be less inclined to think Safari is tracking as like Opera it isn't in the companies DNA. Google Chrome for sure and thats the biggest browser. Picking out one golden example doesn't break the argument that people in their droves are happily downloading known spyware/data collection riddled browsers from US companies. I'll trust a European browser any day.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I just don’t get why any regular Mac owner would shop for a different browser. If you’re a dev I understand you need to check compatibility, otherwise, really, it’s that important to you?
Some websites/web apps don't play nice with Safari & require a Chrome based browser.

Safari isn't enough for many of us, so it pays to have something like Chrome/Edge/Brave installed unless you enjoy not being able to do your work properly.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I just don’t get why any regular Mac owner would shop for a different browser. If you’re a dev I understand you need to check compatibility, otherwise, really, it’s that important to you?
I switch between browsers daily, always looking for a better mousetrap. I just spent three days using the new Firefox, but now I'm back on Safari. Likewise, there are times when one browser is just not working so I'm forced to switch around. I try hard not to use Google Chrome, but in a pinch, I would. As to Oprah, I have no interest in this particular offering for all the right reasons.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland

Opera has a few built in features that are handy like the built in VPN. But mostly it is down to some sites needing a chrome based browser to work so you can pick what you deem the least evil of these. For me, I need a chrome browser for some work stuff and I sometimes need a VPN so Opera fits and consumed the least amount of resources. When monitored it also sends back the least amount of data home compared to Edge and Chrome.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

ImaginaryNerve

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2020
Daytona Beach - Florida
Safari's got some issues happening with specific RAM intensive websites, until those are fixed I must use a different browser. Its my understanding that it may be fixed in one of the recent tech previews but I haven't checked myself yet.

I quite like Safari though and so I'm waiting patiently for it to be fixed. Until then, I'm messing about with Edge and FireFox.

organic bond

Cancelled
May 5, 2007
Safari won't open a number of websites. I'm forced to use another browser because after so many years Apple is still not able to provide us with a decent browser.

Sinfonist

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Some websites/web apps don't play nice with Safari & require a Chrome based browser.

Safari isn't enough for many of us, so it pays to have something like Chrome/Edge/Brave installed unless you enjoy not being able to do your work properly.
Agreed, I have six browsers installed. Safari for regular use, Brave for Google docs and other things that need a Chrome base (multiple personas and privacy features also work well), Chrome for when Brave doesn't work and I don't mind the resource hogging/tracking, Edge to connect to a company system that is highly unstable, Firefox for some sites that need Mozilla compatibility or are highly flaky (so I don't crash one of the browsers I actually need), ...

I've used Opera in the past - seemed quite clean/fast and it has an IoS version

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Agreed, I have six browsers installed. Safari for regular use, Brave for Google docs and other things that need a Chrome base (multiple personas and privacy features also work well), Chrome for when Brave doesn't work and I don't mind the resource hogging/tracking, Edge to connect to a company system that is highly unstable, Firefox for some sites that need Mozilla compatibility or are highly flaky (so I don't crash one of the browsers I actually need), ...

I've used Opera in the past - seemed quite clean/fast and it has an IoS version
I still think the best Chrome based browser is... Chrome. Brave started off with good intentions and is now a bloated mess & I find I always have to keep turning more and more crap off that they keep adding to it.

Edge is decent but I don't like the menu layout. It's messy.

Opera is a different flavour entirely and it's not something I'd want to use.

Google Chrome is quite vanilla in comparison to all the clones. As long as you configure it right by disabling the stuff it wants to phone home with, then you can't really go wrong with it.

Reactions: kironin and xalea
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.