Opera mini HUGE update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mz100, May 24, 2011.

1. mz100 macrumors regular

Hey guyd for some reason i had opera mini on my phone.

Looked in the app store and there was an update.

HD retina text.
    Scrolling is as smooth as safari
    Full screen.
    Check it Out.
    Would have replaced safari but it doesnt auto correct when in opera.
    Other wise its awesome

2. wordoflife, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

omgsh ... Thankgoodness. The old app was terrible. I'm so glad they fixed the scrolling. This might just replace safari for me.
    You can finally click the clock to scroll to the top ... YES

3. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I didn't believe it so I just re-downloaded it. Big fan of Opera on the desktop and I was HUGELY disappointed with their first suck-ass attempt at the browser app. It sucked, there's really no other way to put it.

This update is a HUGE improvement. I can see myself using this in place of Safar. It is super fast - and when you hit back, the previous page loads instantly (I love this feature). The scrolling is much smoother, all of the menus are redone, the interface is a lot better, I like how you can zoom images and save them in different sizes...

Really worth trying it just for this update. And it's still free too.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

They've definitely kicked things up a notch with this update.

5. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I found the update to be okay but I deleted it within 10 minutes. No images were Retina and they looked garbage. (For me that's a big thing)

6. patp Guest

did you actually look at high resolution images? If your judging Opera based on web optimized images, that might not be the best way to determine if it's a smokin browser.

I like the text wrap feature (settings) and it seems pretty speedy overall. The zoom is now a real zoom and not just stepping between full page and zoomed in. You actually get a smooth zoom w/ pinch and zoom.

So far so good.

7. err404 macrumors 68020

I'm really liking it. Total site load time is comparable to Safari, but they are fully usable quicker, while the images are still loading. Scrolling is the best that I have seen on iOS. But there are a few things bothering me. First the typing auto correct is disabled and the browser agent is for mobile. More importantly the fonts are not sized well for viewing on the iPhone (not an issue on my iPads). Safari does a great job scaling sites for the phone while maintaining a desktop look. Opera doesn't do this very well. By default the font is nearly unreadable in portrat mode w/o scrolling and the text wrap mode is ugly with all of the extra white space.

Still, it's a contender for the title of best iOS browser.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.854; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I installed it yesterday and have been using it since. An impressive and fast browser IMO.

Very nice!

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

If I ever end up switching to the $15 / 200 mb plan to save money on Att this update for the Opera mini browser makes it much easier to handle since the browser is really nice now and also compresses data like crazy! :D

10. antman2295 macrumors 6502

Wow, this update made opera SOOOO much better, it loads many pages faster than safari and is as smooth at safari if not smoother!

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

This update is amazing. Opera has now replaced Safari for me. I can now leave my phone on edge to get amazing battery life and still have a very fast browser :D

12. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.854; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I am also quite impressed with this browser. Will use for a few days. Great job !

13. nelly29 macrumors member

SWEET!!!!! If you are on a small data plan Opera Mini is a MUST....The "old" version was not very smooth but this one is safari like.....but the data compression is huge for those of us on small plans! This is great news :D

14. iphone4fan macrumors newbie

The new opera 6 is a great update, still some bugs to work out but overall a huge improvement. I have been using it since yesterday

15. mltaylor macrumors regular

I downloaded this the other day and I never used anything other than safari but this is so much nicer than safari.

I like the setup better and it loads super fast....scrolling is also faster

16. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

This version is very fast, so much better than the rest.

If you haven't, you might give the new desktop version a try as well.

Recently revised I really like it. I've been using Opera all along, with Chrome, Firefox & Safari. Finally after a fairly long time, they're back up to speed on the desktop and I'm glad they're back to being competitive.

17. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Trying to highlight text is clunky(it does not display the magnifying glass) and there is no spell correct. These are my only problems with this great update.

18. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

The only real issue i have with Opera is the inibility to set it as the "default" browser.

Is there any such functionality with a jailbroken device to achieve this?

19. DLyman macrumors member

http://www.iphonejailbreak.me/tag/set-opera-mini-as-default-browser/

20. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Not that I use it but I believe the Cydia tweak "Browser Changer" does just this :)

21. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

awesome update. I used it when it first came out and I wasn't too impressed. This new update looks super polished and I'm very pleased with the performance.

22. patp Guest

just keep in mind, Opera optimizes the speed by processing the web page thru their own servers and then rendering a smaller version for your phone. This makes page loading a lot faster, but any webpage you visit goes thru their servers. I wouldn't visit anything with passwords, banking sites.

23. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

What I hate most about Safari is how the page reloads if you switch to a different tab or if you leave the app and then come back even to the same tab that was already open. WHY is it reloading every damn time?

Does Opera do this?

24. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Some very good points there, thanks...