Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

093338-01-Speed-Dial.jpg
093338-02-Tabs-NYT.jpg

Opera Software today announced that its Opera Mini web browser app has been submitted to Apple for approval. Just last month, Opera gave a demo of the iPhone version of its popular browser at Mobile World Congress. Today's announcement kicks off with a contest requesting guesses on how long it will take for Apple to approve the app, as well as offering an online count-up timer for the review process.

Opera Mini uses server-side rendering to improve page loading performance, claiming speeds of up to 6 times faster than Apple's Safari on the iPhone:

Due to server-side rendering, Opera Mini compresses data by up to 90 percent before sending it to the phone, resulting in rapid page loading and more Web per MB for the end user.

This server-side processing circumvents Apple's restrictions on executing 3rd-party code within an iPhone app. Pages rendered on Opera's servers are passed to the iPhone as a static page in a compressed format that uses less data to transfer than the original page.

Opera has posted a video showcasing Opera Mini as well as a side-by-side comparison with Safari running on an EDGE network.

To kick off the app's submission, Opera has put up a timer page counting the time until Apple approves the app. A contest also solicits guesses on how long it will take Apple to approve the app, offering a prize of a new iPhone 3GS for the guess closest to the actual time.

Article Link: Opera Submits Browser App to Apple, Starts Countdown

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I bet Apple won't approve it until Summer. I'm sure Apple will have meetings for this particular app. I bet this Opera is a watered down version of the other Opera versions on other platforms.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
The video is quite impressive, and if approved by Apple would be well worth downloading and using as a primary browser.

iGod 2.0

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Good Job Opera, Just One Thing...

I hope you are not using the unencrypted websites to speed up rendering, which means poeple couldn't use this for sensitive information such as online purchases and banking, otherwise, you have some explaining to do :mad:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I can see it being rejected but Apple do allow other apps through the approval process that duplicate services already available on the iPhone (mail). I for one hope they do allow it.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I wish... but why would apple give up their monopoly?

Opera knows this and I think they're just stirring the pot with this submission

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know. I think Opera have tried to get as much news coverage as possible pre-release so it will make Apple look bad if they reject it. I have to say, it really does look good, but I don't know if it will be able to match the convenience of Safari, seeing as it stays loaded even after leaving it. Plus, I'm never on 2G network; I want to see a comparison on 3G and WiFi. I would also like to see what it is like if the compression is turned down.

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
If it works as well as it does in that video, safari just got pwned...

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
This should be rejected for no reason other than its FUGLY. which monkey chose that color scheme? and whats the deal with the red bar on top? waste of precious screen real estate

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I don't understand. Why is it worthwhile for Opera to not only develop a browser, but to operate servers that process all of the data necessary to improve your browsing experience? Can just getting a cut from people using the built-in Google search box possibly pay for all of their expenses?

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I hope you are not using the unencrypted websites to speed up rendering, which means poeple couldn't use this for sensitive information such as online purchases and banking, otherwise, you have some explaining to do :mad:

That is why you have apps for.

Chase for example has its own app.

Amazon

Ebay... :rolleyes:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.18302/1076; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

its not a bad browser and sure is fast. I hope it gets approved for those with signal issues as that is when it shines best!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.