Operating Systems for PowerPC Macs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AmazingHenry, Oct 6, 2016.

Tags:
?

Which OS is Your Main/Favorite One?

1. Mac OS X/MacOS 9

86.8%
  2. MintPPC

2.2%
  3. MorphOS

7.7%
  4. Debian

8.8%
  5. YellowDog Linux

1.1%
  6. Unbuntu MATE/Server/Lubuntu

14.3%
  7. NetBSD/OpenBSD/FreeBSD

3.3%
  8. Gentoo Linux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. OpenSUSE

1.1%
  10. Other

2.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Good edit, but I made it slightly neater by removing the (or macOS) from the Mac OS operating systems header as it is rather irrelevant to the PowerPC versions of Mac OS, since the new name has only been around for a year, long after the PowerPC years. And I made the notice about Ubuntu being dropped on PPC smaller, but made it red to catch attention.

2. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Is MorphOS a linux distro? Because I don't really think it belongs in a category all by itself... MorphOS is a single OS, not a group of OSes.

3. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

No, not even close. It roots back to the Commodore Amiga and is definitely its own thing.

4. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I think you just single-postedly insulted both MorphOS users and Linux hippies, er, users. Yeah, users....

;)

5. JeffBai macrumors newbie

@Lastic

Hi... Hope my mail found you well, and as an update to all those interested in installing AOSC OS on their PowerPC Macs, I will be around to try and help you guys. I'm currently in contact with Lastic and hopefully that could help him with the installation.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2017 ---
    Well, I thought I'd share what I sent to him anyways.

(Beware... I could be a bit wordy)

... We are having issue with keeping up with the development - as the only owner of a development-capable machine (PowerMac G5 Quad in this case, let's face it, there's little point compiling packages on an iBook or an emulator - and the G5 is simply too heavy to carry on a plane back home), I'm solely responsible for this port of AOSC OS. However, leaving the United States for the summer (from college) means that I would not have the chance to access that machine, and hence no updates could be made to the port. Just wanted to make this point clear first of all - but yes, this port will continue to be worked on as I return to school.

Currently AOSC OS is usable on both PPC and PPC64 platforms and tested on my (and couple of my friends') iBook G4 and PowerMac G5 - however not without their own shares of issues...

- Firefox is not exactly reliable on PPC64 - I'm currently relying on Pale Moon. There isn't much hope of newer Firefox versions being ported onto this platform either - as they moved to the Little Endian only Skia library - which I can't really see myself porting to big endian.
    - Mesa/OpenGL applications could show wrong colours on these platforms as the RGBA serial could not be translated correctly as it currently stands - and this will be fixed soon.
    - If you are running an ATi-based Mac, you could very well be limited to 2D acceleration... The upstream has very little interest in fixing it.
    - Kernel updates will not be as frequent as other ports, sometimes newer version simply won't boot (without any configuration changes).
    - And as stated above, I could not maintain these two ports until I return to school - which will be September. But for the meanwhile I can try my best with helping you and your friends - big fan of PowerPC Macs (and personal devices of this architecture in general) myself, I do hope to keep them running.

But all that said if you want to install AOSC OS, please go on to https://github.com/AOSC-Dev/aosc-os/wiki and check the PowerPC installation documentation there first. If you needed any additional help please feel free to contact me.

P.S. I do check mail daily, but often once a day... If you needed urgent help, please hop onto our IRC channel at #aosc and @JeffBai.
    P.P.S. Please by all means speak English in our IRC channel, we will realize that you are a foreigner and that is totally fine - most of us are proficient with English. As for how to use it, grab a copy of XChat and it should be straight forward enough - if not, go to our homepage and click on the "IRC Channel" link.
    P.P.P.S. I would recommend running LXDE/XFCE on G4s and LXDE/XFCE/MATE on G5s - don't even try KDE and GNOME, not worth the time - even though they are available for download from the repository.

6. Lastic, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017

Lastic macrumors 6502

@JeffBai

First and foremost a big thank you for wanting to help, had I known that you were already a forum member I wouldn't have tried to reach you at all kind of email addresses :)

I've got 2 x 12" Powerbook G4's 1,5 Ghz, the one with the SSD runs Leopard and is my main PPC machine.

The other has a HDD and is the one who ran so warm during untarring the image that it shutdown, fan had been blazing for like 30 minutes.

Also got a PowerMac G5 but I'm messing with Fedora 25 Server on it currently.

Since we are in different timezones, I suggest I check wether you're online at IRC
    ( my first IRC experience altough I'm a computer user from back in the 8086 CP/M days )
    or otherwise mail you via gmail.

My goal is to get a working install which I can then document in layman terms so others on the forum might benefit .

I will create a seperate thread for this so we don't clutter this one.

In light of the current PPC Only Challenge , I thought this was a good moment for me to continue debugging.

I understand you're limited in resources and time , so no pressure, I have patience .
    Just the fact that you and your colleagues at least still have an interest in PPC is a blessing to this forum.

7. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Out of all those Linux distros, what do you guys recommend for my iMac G4 700MHz? Definitely a lightweight, minimal distro would be the best as it's only 700MHz. And MorphOS definitely isn't for me, I tried the trial.

Also, I'm new to Linux, and I've never really used it before. A distro that's not too complicated would be nice. ;)

8. z970mp macrumors regular

z970mp

Lubuntu.

That's what I'm going to do on my 800MHz iMac G4 and Power Mac G5. Reports say it's less resource intensive than Mint.

I would recommend 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) for you, since yours is a 700 MHz from 2002.

9. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Sorry, missed this post!

Thanks, I'll try it when I have time.

10. z970mp macrumors regular

z970mp

As will I.

I still haven't gotten to putting it on my G5!

11. iModFrenzy, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017

iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I’d correct the “requires G4” to “G4 867 or faster” , this way members know their (for example)400mhz G4 can’t boot Leopard natively.

EDIT: Mobile view didn't show the wiki symbol, edited.

12. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Ok. Just keep in mind that Leopard can boot on any G4, so perhaps it's best to say that alongside the official requirement.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.