Operating Systems for PowerPC Macs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AmazingHenry, Oct 6, 2016.

Tags:
?

Which OS is Your Main/Favorite One?

1. Mac OS X/MacOS 9

87.9%
  2. MintPPC

1.3%
  3. MorphOS

6.7%
  4. Debian

7.4%
  5. YellowDog Linux

0.7%
  6. Unbuntu MATE/Server/Lubuntu

12.1%
  7. NetBSD/OpenBSD/FreeBSD

4.7%
  8. Gentoo Linux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. OpenSUSE

0.7%
  10. Other

2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

A good solution to speed up builds on old hardware is to setup distcc to use the parallel processing power of your other CPUs.

I have only had success in using matching architectures for this, so for example, a G3 host can use the processing power of G4s and G5s, but not an Intel. Either way, you can turn what could be an overnight compile into a few minutes with enough POWER.

If you match the GCC version (using Tigerbrew), you should be able to theoretically use distcc on an OS X PowerPC Mac to compile for a Linux/BSD PowerPC host.

My initial reason behind researching this was to allow my 1st Gen AppleTV to use the 8 cores in my Mac Pro to compile packages under OSMC/Debian in minutes instead of days :)

2. ctJunkman macrumors newbie

ctJunkman

Wow that is neat.

Playing with NetBSD 8.0BETA now on the mac mini :)

3. Project Alice macrumors 6502

Project Alice

It seems MintPPC is no more, the last time I can find the site on the wayback machine is mid 2017, with the latest post being in 2013. Going to the URL without the wayback goes to a completely unrelated site, that appears to be a marketing scam.

4. timidpimpin, Nov 10, 2018 at 3:53 PM
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018 at 6:46 PM

timidpimpin macrumors newbie

The original post of this thread groups BSD with Linux. BSD is UNIX - not Linux. Totally different things.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.