Opinion... rMBP THAT much better than cMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Orlandoech, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Orlandoech, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Which machine would you recommend? The cMBP is the base with user added Corsair 16GB ram and Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD. The rMBP is the base with jus 16GB ram added via Apple store.

15-inch: 2.3 GHz Retina display
    2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB flash storage1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2

TOTAL: $2322

vs

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz memory
    240GB Corsair Force GT + 750GB 7200-rpm hard drive

High-Res Glossy 1680x1050 Screen
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2

TOTAL: $2095 after buying Corsair 16GB 1600MHz RAM & OWC Data Doubler Mod.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

It's all about the screen and the thinness. You can't just look at the HW specs. They are roughly the same. Do you want the screen? If not it is a waste of money to go that route. Do you favor the thinness? Again waste if you don't care. Do you want to upgrade down the road? Another consideration.

3. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The screen is nothing less than amazing imo but I don't "need" it. The thinness isnt THAT much more significant imo. Im not sure if the screen would be nicer to have or the extra HDD via OWC Data Doubler in the cMBP.

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Ips an resolution.

Are you happy with the glossy 1440 x 900? Do you care about ips? Does upgrad ability matter to you?

The reason I bought the Rmbp is tht by the time I added ram and a ssd then upgraded the screen. There wasn't much in it.

5. retinarob macrumors regular

I sat back from my rMBP after a full day's use, smiled and thought "this is how using a computer should be." It's easy on the eyes, and fast as hell.

6. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I neglected to mention the cMBP would be the Hi-Res Glossy Screen (1680x1050).

----------

I already own the SSD, I would just have to buy the RAM which is $105, then the OWC Data Doubler is $59.99

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I went cMBP for this and port reasons for work. And I already had SSD in the wings for it.

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

i think the screen really only comes into play next year or so when more software is updated. as it stands, whenever i use my RMBP for work i have to connect to an external monitor to actually make it useable.

9. Aodhan macrumors regular

It is more than just the screen and thinness, though. The Retina has no optical drive, no ethernet port, and it cannot be upgraded like the non-Retina MBP can. The non-Retina can have its ram upgraded or replaced, the hard drive can be upgraded or replaced, as can the battery. This cannot be done on the Retina.

What the Retina does have going for it is a truly excellent screen, and it is thinner. It has two thunderbolt ports instead of one. Also the cooling system is upgraded, although I have the non-Retina and it runs significantly cooler than my 2009 MBP.

So really you have to judge the MBP and the MBPR by what you want out of a notebook computer. Both are excellent computers, but appeal to different buyers.

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have a late 2008 MPB, and I am waiting for when they release the Retina display to the whole MBP line, to upgrade it.

I believe that the current Retina model is aimed to people that can afford replacing the MBP every 1 or 2 years. I am not one of them.

It is too expensive to my pocket and too limited in terms of RAM and upgradeability.

Some may state that it is enough for what they need it.

Differently from an iPod, iPad or iPhone that you can replace within a year if some bugs appear, and they quickly fix them. A Retina MacBook Pro requires more money, and Apple is slower to fix design issues with the Macs, I am not sure if the Retina MBP has any, as I have not searched.

My MBP battery sucks, and the logic board failed after warranty, no Apple Care and when it was launched was the latest and greatest, but in a few months it was obsolete, and overpriced.

So if you can wait, wait. I have high hopes that before the holiday season they at least do some minor upgrades to the MBP line, adding the Retina display to some of them.
    Surely next year they will have better specs, faster processors and lower prices.

Both are wonderful machines.

11. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

for me i would get the cmbp as i use the optical and like having all ports on the machine plus with my iphone 4 to my ipod 3gen i cant tell difference and i took my ipad2 into best buy as i was doing some price matching on some items and looked at a ipad 3/new ipad retina and could not tell a diff to me my ipad 2 had better looking icons so the retina is lost on me

12. mykelala01, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Data doubler is the best thing you can add to your Macbook pro. Plus parallel. With that much storage and fast processor and enough ram. You got yourself a powerful computer. rMBP is just a bigger macbook air with nicer screen. What happen to Mat of wired magazine makes me think twice about the cloud.

Edit: Macbook pro Hi Res glossy is a good choice if you dont care about glare. And it is not retina but it is sure close enough,unless you look closer.

13. leman macrumors 604

This is a completely unrealistic expectation. Apple won't add the retina display to the classic MBP (there is no place for it in the current MBP design), they will can the classic MBP altogether — probably as soon as next year.

And there also won't be any upgrades to the MBP as there is no new hardware components to upgrade them with. Next upgrade will be Haswell CPUs and next gen GPUs next year.

14. Dronac macrumors member

For me, the MBPr was the clear winner. 256GB is plenty for mobile use for me. I can expand it by 128GB using the new Nifty drive adapter that just made it through kickstarter funding (flush mount SD to SDXD adapter), or use a small external drive if I want to bring movies on the go. I had no need for the optical drive as I think I used the one in my 2007 Macbook twice since I bought it. I rarely used the ethernet port on my old Macbook, and the TB to Ethernet adapter resolves any issues. On the other hand, I take my laptop everywhere, so the thin, light body was a huge plus. The display though is really what drive the MBPr home. Even non retina applications arn't that bad, and certainly don't offset the awesome crispness of the display.

15. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Really?
    And what are all these rumors then?

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/24...ed-imacs-reportedly-due-in-september-october/

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-shows-up-in-benchmarks/

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/apples-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-to-launch-before-october/

Historically some product updates took a few months:
    [​IMG]

The First issue of the Unibody 3rd generation is not a good investment. In a few months it will be kind of "old model", the predecessor.
    No more 13" and 15"? Only 15"?

Apple will do whatever they want, and more likely migrate the whole line to the smaller form factor.

Imagine for some minutes that they want to do it, make the non-Retina -> Retina, how could they?
    1- They could eliminate the optical drive and gain some space there.
    2- If they were able to put the Retina in the iPad, why can't they put something equivalent in that space? This tech is not scalable/transferable like this, but: ~double sized iPad Retina graphics -> Mac Book Pro 13". If they have some graphics controllers that do the trick, or low power one.
    3- Take everything out of it, install all the Retina Hardware with some modifications to allow hard disk drive or SSD as the consumer prefers, removable RAM that can be upgraded as the consumer prefers.

Anyway, it makes sense for them to evolve to the smaller form factor.
    I think they started with one of the line, they are evaluating its performance in the market with the Retina display, and based on the market response they will then update the whole line, the main reason they are doing it gradually is due to supply chain constraints.

16. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I don't need the Ethernet or optical drive. I would replace the optical with the owc data doubler as mentioned.

17. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have not use the ethernet port in years.
    And I removed the optical drive and bought th SSD and data doubler from OWC.
    Have a 1TB HDD and a 256GB SSD, and 8GB RAM.
    So my next MBP with Retina Display will have to be able to fit at least 500GB without breaking thw bank and hopefully allow me to fit in more RAM. I plant to keep that future Mac for at least 3 to 4 years.

18. Drask macrumors regular

I guess you pretty much made up your mind, every comment you make its towards the cMBP, which is still an excellent machine. I went with the rMBP though.

My reasons? The only 2 things you can upgrade are SSD (or HDD) and Ram in the cMBP. I went with the 16G RAM, I do realize I payed about $100 more to apple for this, but I also realize I would have paid the same $100 for the high-res-panel which comes already with the retina, and even better, higher resolution options (handy while coding).

CD-Drive? I got an external for free through apple, and to be honest the only times I have used my iMac's drive is while installing windows, which can be done through a usb drive.

Ethernet? Firewire? Never used them on a laptop, and even if i needed them I would just let them plugged to the ethernet cord (not sure why people make such a big deal about this).

Upgradable SSD or HHD? I do realize this is a point for the cMBP, but I'm sure someone will come with a solution to upgrade it like they did with the air, and even if they don't, I'm sure a nifty drive with a 128GB card, or a 2.5" external will make it work.

Overall, a much better design (inside and outside), fans that don't make that much noise, thiner, lighter and of course the gorgeous screen is what made my decision.

19. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I'm just not sure what I want more the retina screen or the extra hdd in the optibay. It's storage vs screen because I cannot afford the 512gb flash storage in the retina.

I like to have all my Data internally so I don't hav to keep plugging in external HDDs and the speed is far inferior unless I go tb, bit tb is a rip off.

The screen is amazing however.

20. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Retina all the way. Don't invest in the past.

21. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

God Im kind of leaning towards the rMBP now and just dealing with USB3.0 storage lol.

The screen is so amazing and the only thing I need constant access to in my data is my itunes library which is just 30gb anyway. God Im so indecisive like a girl right now.

22. Drask macrumors regular

May I ask what exactly do you want the machine for? Development?, Photography?

23. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Photography, minor video stuff (homemade videos), web dev, day to day stuff, portability.

24. DcoalStrat macrumors member

More like! Don't invest on Apple Rev A product.

25. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Agreed or you will be a Apple beta tester. Then more like Apple invest on you with half bake product with lot of glitches. And pay for a hefty premium price.:D