Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I wasn't going to get a case, but then I figured I'd at least want to protect the back.

(I have a 1G iPod Touch that is usually naked. Back is nasty, but there is not one imperfection with the glass.)

I ended up buying the iFrogz case. I really like it. Sold feel, Dockable and just plan nice. It did come with a screen protector too. It just sticks on. It really does give the glass a nice, slicker feel. Much nicer then just the plan glass.

Pic:
b175976.jpg

I just got the same case in blue delivered today from an eBay seller. Nice! Cool satiny feel with a velvet-like lining to protect the back of the iPhone.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
thanks for this, it saves 25%. I like that cranberry one too!

I just used it too! Got the Lemondrop Liquorice. $32.47 out the door, not too shabby.

This will be my... (lets see):

1. DLO Silicon case
2. Incase Power Slider
3. CoreCases Aluminum Slider
4. Incase Slider- Glossy White
5. Incase Slider- Matte Gun Metal
6. Speck Candyshell- Lemondrop Liquorice

6th case!

DarKeneD

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Someone posted that the Incase Slider scratched their black iPhone, has this happened to anyone else? I was planning to buy an Incase for my iPhone as well

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
1 - if you're not going to put a case on it, put a full body shield on it like BestSkinEver or Invisible Shield. Also, if you might sell it someday, best to keep it in the best shape possible.

2 - I always use one but I know others who don't. Ditto on the resale issue here.

3 - I've tried a few and have come down to the iSolo FX (purple) and the CandyShell (white/cranberry). Both work with my BSE. Both offer good protection, though it depends what your priorities are. Perfect is different for everyone =)

If you don't use a BSE/Invisible Shield, the iFrogz case is nice. I was using the black/sliver one before but it doesn't fit with a skin on.

I just preordered 2 iPhone 3Gs's (my first venture into smart phone land). I have historically carried a RAZR in a belt holster either on the belt or in my front pocket (occasionally with keys, money, etc).

I am seeking out experiences/opinions on protecting my phones. Specifically:
1) If the phone go naked in pocket, how scratchable are they?
2) Screen protector or no?
3) Are there cases you LOVE or absolutely HATE (and why)?

There is a plethora of cases out there. Please help me narrow down so I can then go check out the final candidates, hands-on.

Thank you so very much!

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Someone posted that the Incase Slider scratched their black iPhone, has this happened to anyone else? I was planning to buy an Incase for my iPhone as well

It has not scratched mine. That person must keep taking it off and putting it back on. I dont see the point of doing that. Just make sure you clean off the phone before putting on the incase and you will be fine.

If you have a screen shield, the trick is put the bottom part of the incase on first.

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
i use one of these:

http://www.more-thing.com/ultra-slim-silicone-case-for-iphone3g.html

got the black on on my black 3g. i like it. probably doesn't offer too much protection if you drop it. its very thin on the back, thicker around the sides to offer a little impact protection. i got it because i'm pretty careful with my phone and only really wanted to protect the back from scratches without making the phone feel too much bigger as imo the size of the iphone without a case is pretty much perfect.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
I used to have an incase slider with an antiglare screen protector and it scratched the crap out of my chrome bezel. I've been using an invisibleSHEILD for a few months now and I am much more happy that way.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I just used a screen protector and an Oakley soft sunglasses bag with my 2G, it's never come to any harm. :) Might go for a Speck Candyshell if I get a 3GS though, I fancy a change.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
stop me if you heard this, if your like me and value the money you spent on your phone then you want to protect it, and if bulk isnt an issue and protection is an issue, then go with the otterbox defender, its a serious tank

we're seriously thinking of getting these to use when we are on our bikes! we'll have our other case for every day... but when we go for a ride we'll just have switch out cases! (or a hike, or whatever!)

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
The glass on the front doesnt scratch easily the back does.
Makes perfect sense to me

i'm curious... if I keep my iphone (front unprotected) in my pocket with my keys, is it likely to get scratched? maybe i've been too careful, although i do like my flip case

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado

Happened to me. It wasn't huge, but I have no idea how it happened. It's by the mute switch, it happened one day when I was taking it off. I sharpie'd over it, so it's near impossible to see.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just picked up an Otterbox Defender for my GF's 3G. She is incredibly destructive to iPhones and if this thing doesn't keep it safe nothing will.

By the by I have a Sena Elega Pouch for my 2G phone and its really really nice. I don't trust plastic beltclips and this one is not only hard mounted but it ratchet swivels. Very stylish I must say.

jmeray

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
I just got the same case in blue delivered today from an eBay seller. Nice! Cool satiny feel with a velvet-like lining to protect the back of the iPhone.

I would be careful with the Frogz, or ask around, as i have heard the COLOR comes off if they get wet from rain or sweat. Great looking case, i agree, but people have stated they were sweaty, made a call, now their face is all pink or green. Got caught in the rain, threw the phone on the leather car seat, now the leather is BLUE. Maybe dig around for some more reviews on that, or call the manufacturer. I wouldnt want you running around with a BLUE face. ;)

Dizzler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
No case for me

it pisses me off that the iPhone even NEEDS a case! Why can't they make a phone that is okay without one? We now have a huge cottage industry supporting cases for the iPhone. For me, I plan to put it in my gym sock. I'll get a case when they make them with a wrist strap like my Canon PowerShot.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I work at an authorized reseller of Apple stuff, so see and sell iphone cases all day long and these are my tops in each category:

Silicone: switcheasy colors
hard case: speck candyshell
hybrid: switcheasy rebel
leather: vaja
skins: best skins ever (cheaper than zagg, which frankly I think is a bit overpriced)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.