Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
The one thing I didn't like was how Idris Elba's other half decided to be in the same rooms where he is – exactly the opposite to advise of isolating near family member with the virus. He should be in a separate space for 7-14 days. It's not optional should you not 'feel' like doing it.
She had already tested positive for coronavirus, didn't she?

tunastink

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2019
Surprised at all the negative reactions. There is an obvious medical aspect to the crisis, for which we should be getting our advice from qualified sources like the CDC.

The less-frequently discussed aspect is the psychological side. Helping people through the emotional challenges, creating a sense that we are all going through this situation together is important as well. My immediate thought was the Oprah show would help to address this need, and that seems valuable and worthwhile in my opinion.

I don’t know much about Oprah, so I can’t defend her specifically, but this type of programming sounds like potentially a good idea.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
How can we mindfully move through a crisis while holding on to ourselves and our humanity?

Ask a Veteran. While everyone does have their own story and all are valid I do think there is a higher probability of learning from Military rather than performers as a general rule.

Reactions: decypher44

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
How can we mindfully move through a crisis while holding on to ourselves and our humanity?

Ask a Veteran. While everyone does have their own story and all are valid I do think there is a higher probability of learning from Military rather than performers as a general rule.
Patience. The first episode was with a performer. Second episode is with a pastor. Third episode - who knows?

Reactions: tunastink and CarlJ

FrankCataldi14

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
The one thing I didn't like was how Idris Elba's other half decided to be in the same rooms where he is – exactly the opposite to advise of isolating near family member with the virus. He should be in a separate space for 7-14 days. It's not optional should you not 'feel' like doing it.
Unless maybe she has it and we don't know it. His announcement didn't address family members, did it?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I hope when this all blows over that REAL role models emerge for young people. Health care workers, teachers, police, firemen, and FARMERS!!! These are the true heroes of society. On the other hand actors, talk show hosts, and news readers have no more qualifications to comment on anything than you or I do. Priorities and "pay commensurate to value to society" will be re-established in the coming new world. How did a talk show host become a billionaire while the people who feed us, teach us, and protect us...live paycheck to paycheck?

Bravo! Well said and I completely agree. Hopefully the next generation of K12 students will aspire to be in the medical field as experts, with a solid moral center. Maybe as teachers too.

I want to highlight an important point about nearly the entire first page of comments. None of those posters bothered to actually watch the show they were commenting on before posting. I think the episode does an excellent job addressing all the concerns about why actors and the wealthy get access to tests. It’s a function of capitalism. Idris Elba was ordered to get testing because he represents a serious investment stake and liability for his production company that is filming in New Mexico. If you don’t like free markets and capitalism I don’t know what to tell you. It is a function of supply and demand - people who are “worth” more (objectively, based on earning power) will get better protection. I hope this isn’t a shock to anyone. This will never change unless America falls to Communism, G-d forbid.

further, only the first episode involved an interview with an actor elite. The second episode is with a medical professional. And Oprah doesn’t offer her own medical advice, she is a conduit to let the interviewee shine.

AppleNews+ alread has daily updates for this crisis to keep all iPhone users educated. Other news outlets and updates even on YouTube already exists (probably the most I’ve ever watched YouTube in my life & ive been checking it here and there before Google purchased it!)

irregardless of your rebuttal ... you fail to realize Oprah is profiting off of this vs donating a dime towards any relief ! She’s also keeping her brand relevant on the suffering of others and playing you and others as blind to seeing this.

Is the medical professional actually a lead in this field?! You’re not commenting on that part yet you watched it. This is critical especially for this move by Apple and Oprah.

either way this program is NOT necessary, governments and regalar news outlets already are providing professional and relevant information. We (everyone) don’t need Oprah’s input nor guidance nor a show about the crises during this crisis. It seems in poor taste and shows she’s got no class!

I think you’re missing this

Reactions: decypher44

Rojaaemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2016
Can't say I've ever heard of these entertainment (?) "celebrities" but if Apple and talk show diva billionaire Oprah (dear friend of Harvey the Hollywood Rapist!) think I should hear what they are thinking, feeling, suffering, advising during this global pandemic, I will certainly make a small, three minute effort to mock them and the entire premise of this show in this anonymous comment section of a website for rumors related to my favorite tech company.

Last edited:
  • Disagree

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Wow what a lot of useless hate. Haven’t really seen much criticism on the content of this show but tons of superficial Blabla.

It seems "tons of superficial blabla" is what the world is mostly about these days. It was that way long before the pandemic.
[automerge]1584927370[/automerge]
I had to stop watching the news, except for a few minutes in the morning and evening. I was finding that the media really concentrates on the hot-spots and generalizes it to the point that it sounds like COVID-19 is the plague and basically everyone will get it tomorrow and die. I just follow the stats for the US and by state and while NY is having a tough time right now, other states aren't near as bad and with social distancing and stay-at-home, I truly think we'll get a handle on it sooner than later. I just get depressed when I hear cases "soared" for our city in 1 day, when it did did anything but soar. Anything for a headline. I just remind myself that 60,000 in the US died of the normal flu in 2018 and cities didn't shut down or entire economies destroyed.

While I wouldn't go so far as to compare this to the seasonal flu--I feel like this truly is far worse just because of the lack of immunity all around, I totally agree about the damned news. Their purpose seems more to incite than inform. You just can't say anything unless it screams in 24pt bold face text. :/

Last edited:
Reactions: chilly willy

FrankCataldi14

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
Since Oprah brought us the quack Dr. Oz who has been going around spreading nonsense regarding coronavirus, I'll pass.
He is a bit of a hack, but I would not call him a quack---he's got a very impressive resume.

Now Dr. Phil, THAT guy is a quack and Oprah gave him to us after he robbed her lawyers blind as a jury consultant in her cattle lawsuit.

We will watch this---I'm sure the production value is superb.

• Love

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Surprised at all the negative reactions. There is an obvious medical aspect to the crisis, for which we should be getting our advice from qualified sources like the CDC.

The less-frequently discussed aspect is the psychological side. Helping people through the emotional challenges, creating a sense that we are all going through this situation together is important as well. My immediate thought was the Oprah show would help to address this need, and that seems valuable and worthwhile in my opinion.

I don’t know much about Oprah, so I can’t defend her specifically, but this type of programming sounds like potentially a good idea.

Oprah never really helps anyone. My primary issue with her is that she promotes others that go on to propagate bad information as pseudo-medical advice, who then go on to spread bad information. Some of these guys (Dr. Phi, Dr. Oz) try to sound like pseudo-medical professionals. They are no longer practitioners though, and their advice is often contrary to that of practitioners in their respective fields. Because of this, she deserves the hate she gets when she enters stuff like this. She's not helping anyone. If anything, she tends to do the opposite.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Don't see where this obsession with testing is coming from. All the testing centers I've seen (driven by) have had long crowded lines. Looks like an exceptionally good way to pick up the virus to me. I wouldn't step foot in there. Assume you've got it, because if you want to test to find out, you'll probably get it anyway.
My family and I have had one weird illness for awhile now. It comes and goes like the tide. Just when any one of us feels better, we get knocked back, a little harder each time.

My husband and I are both high risk. There’s different reasons I’d like to know exactly what we are dealing with but I’m too worn out to explain. It’s a moot point anyway. No tests.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Oprah is okay I guess. I’ve only seen her on tv a couple of times. I actually know her better as an actress, lol. I was just wondering how come there doesn’t seem to be a shortage of tests for the celebrities when some ordinary joes have been sick and still can’t get tested.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I had to stop watching the news, except for a few minutes in the morning and evening. I was finding that the media really concentrates on the hot-spots and generalizes it to the point that it sounds like COVID-19 is the plague and basically everyone will get it tomorrow and die. I just follow the stats for the US and by state and while NY is having a tough time right now, other states aren't near as bad and with social distancing and stay-at-home, I truly think we'll get a handle on it sooner than later. I just get depressed when I hear cases "soared" for our city in 1 day, when it did did anything but soar. Anything for a headline. I just remind myself that 60,000 in the US died of the normal flu in 2018 and cities didn't shut down or entire economies destroyed.
You’re in for a surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CarlJ

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I always gripe at the "for free now"

To me that means : "quench users appetite, then later on it'll be easier to charge"

These may be good..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.