Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sajlonix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Hello,
first of all, sorry for my english and grammer. ?
I would like to ask some apple nerds.. how is optimised battery charging working with wireless chargers?
Cos I recently bought wireless charger and I wanna know how it affects battery aging.

My iphone is chargerd most of the time at night and with cable works perfectly that battery is charged only to 80% and before alarm is charged to 100.

Is this process working the same way with wireless charger? Can that coil inside iphone stoped taking power by software? or is just charged to 100% and keeps like that whole time.

Thank you so much for your responds. ?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

sajlonix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020

yea I read that, but there is no answer for my question about wireless charging..

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wireless charging will degrade the battery faster because it creates more heat than wired. The only thing is that I’m not sure if fast wired charging degrades as fast as slow wireless charging.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Yes optimised charging works with wireless chargers, I see it working. I use a 3rd party wireless charger which was working at 7.5W until recent iOS update limited it to 5W. Never gets hot. It’s heat and keeping lithium batteries either fully charged or almost flat that stresses them out and reduces life. Read up on Battery University.

Reactions: maxjohnson2

sajlonix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Yes optimised charging works with wireless chargers, I see it working. I use a 3rd party wireless charger which was working at 7.5W until recent iOS update limited it to 5W. Never gets hot. It’s heat and keeping lithium batteries either fully charged or almost flat that stresses them out and reduces life. Read up on Battery University.

Im using samsung fast charging mat (with my ipad 10W adapter) and optimised battery is not working. When I open battery in settings i can see that iphone was charged to 100 percent for whole night event that i have alarm on. (normaly, wire charging is working how it should)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.