Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I think I will disable it, because it is not working at all on my iPhone.

I‘m even using “sleep time”, with a daily alarm set at 6:15AM , so it should be quite easy for the phone to learn my habits (at least my wake up time).
Nevertheless the charging doesn’t stop at 80% and goes right to 100%, keeping the phone fully charged for at least 5/6 hours (I’m using the fast 18W charger).

The funny thing is optimized charging is working fine on my wife’s XR and on my son’s SE.

Reactions: ACB 123

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
It's a bit of a gimmick IMO anyway.

It does no harm in just regularly charging to 100% and leaving it plugged in - Especially as you unplug every morning. It doesn't keep trying to put more power into a battery that is already at max charge

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
It's a bit of a gimmick IMO anyway.

It does no harm in just regularly charging to 100% and leaving it plugged in - Especially as you unplug every morning. It doesn't keep trying to put more power into a battery that is already at max charge
Sorry but you are wrong.
In the long run a battery kept at 100% for hours will age faster.
It is not a matter of “putting more power” in it.
It is a chemical issue: better not to leave a battery fully charged (nor to deep discharge it every day, which is even worse).

The idea behind “optimized charging” is very good. The implementation is very poor.
[automerge]1576595422[/automerge]
same lmao i gave up
I left a feedback at Apple website about that...

Last edited:

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Sorry but you are wrong.
It is a chemical issue: better not to leave a battery fully charged (nor to deep discharge it every day, which is even worse).

The idea behind “optimized charging” is very good. The implementation is very poor.

But it's not "hours" if you unplug every morning? 3/4 at most, per night once fully charged? And the fact you're letting it discharge rather than just keeping it plugged in is healthy for it

Can I ask, how long do you plan to keep your current phone for? Any less than two years then I can put a pretty good bet that your battery will be absolutely fine for the duration of your ownership.

Reactions: Ifti

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
But it's not "hours" if you unplug every morning? 3/4 at most, per night once fully charged? And the fact you're letting it discharge rather than just keeping it plugged in is healthy for it

Can I ask, how long do you plan to keep your current phone for? Any less than two years then I can put a pretty good bet that your battery will be absolutely fine for the duration of your ownership.

The battery is negatively affected the more time it spends at 100%.

If it were a "gimmick" then Apple wouldn't need to introduce Optimized Charging.

Even with a 5W adapter, the iPhone fully charges in 3 hours. The rest of the night, it's sitting at 100%. That's a lot of cumulative hours.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

I’m upgrading every year 😝
big Apple fanboy here 😂

but I usually give my iPhone to my son or my wife, so I’d like to preserve the battery as much as I can.
i know it won’t change so much, but even a few months over three years could make a difference.

there is a reason for “optimized charging “...

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I agree. It is broken.

How difficult can it be? I even have bedtime setup so the iPhone knows exactly when to be fully charged.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
The battery is negatively affected the more time it spends at 100%.

If it were a "gimmick" then Apple wouldn't need to introduce Optimized Charging.

Even with a 5W adapter, the iPhone fully charges in 3 hours. The rest of the night, it's sitting at 100%. That's a lot of cumulative hours.
Im using the 18W charger, and my iPhone usually ends the day at 40/50%, so it is fully charged in less than an hour... and sits at 100% for 5/6 hours. I don’t like it.

Reactions: ACB 123

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Set an alarm and unplug the phone then.

Or set an alarm for when to put it on charge halfway through the night.

Stressing about battery life must really hamper your enjoyment of using an iPhone.

Last edited:

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Wait optimized charging is supposed to stop charging @ 80%? LOL that has never been the case on my iPhone 11 Pro since I got it on every single OS update that I've done. Nice gimmick Apple.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Depends on workload and network conditions. I'm primarily on iPad and barely use my phone but since reception isn't the best at the office, my battery's usually noticeably degraded after a year due to the radios needing to work extra hard.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Sorry but you are wrong.

Remember to update us in a year on your battery health. I bet there will be no major difference.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I had no idea why my charging was being stupid ... then discovered this magical setting was on by default. Turned it off and now everything charges like normal.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Wait optimized charging is supposed to stop charging @ 80%? LOL that has never been the case on my iPhone 11 Pro since I got it on every single OS update that I've done. Nice gimmick Apple.

Same for me. It always charges to 100% and then it stays at 100% for atleast 6 hours during the night.

At first I thought the machine learning algo was still in the training phase, but after more than a month this is not the case anymore.

Reactions: Super Spartan

Spacerock

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Ha! The very first time I noticed the setting on my phone my first impression was “huh what nonsense” and I turned it off. so in conclusion, I don’t think I ever used it.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Same over here...just doesn’t seem to work. Put it on the charger at around midnight and taking it off around 7a.m. Trying to give that damned thing a daily routine but it just does not seem to like it. Quite sympathetic ?

Reactions: FlyingDutch

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Im using the 18W charger, and my iPhone usually ends the day at 40/50%, so it is fully charged in less than an hour... and sits at 100% for 5/6 hours. I don’t like it.
If it only takes an hour to charge, why not just leave it unplugged until the morning? When I wake up, I plug my iPhone in and by the time I'm done with my shower and breakfast, it's charged.

Reactions: sat24 and MarkX

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
If it only takes an hour to charge, why not just leave it unplugged until the morning? When I wake up, I plug my iPhone in and by the time I'm done with my shower and breakfast, it's charged.

You beat me to it only I was going to say charge it an hour before bed and unplug it before going to sleep. You’ll only lose a few percent over night so will have more than enough juice for your day.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
You beat me to it only I was going to say charge it an hour before bed and unplug it before going to sleep. You’ll only lose a few percent over night so will have more than enough juice for your day.
That’s exactly what I’m doing now. It lose not more than 1% overnight.
But I was hoping “Optimize charging” was a better solution.
[automerge]1576672713[/automerge]
I've never read a comment anywhere where someone mentioned that Optimize Charging worked
It is absolutely working on my wife’s XR and on my son’s 11 ... I don’t know why not on mine ??‍♂️
[automerge]1576672810[/automerge]
I’m actually doing the opposite: charging it one hour before sleep.
But optimize charging was supposed to solve the problem.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
I'm missing something, how do you know if it is charged to 100% while you're sleeping? I have the thing toggled on and am not sure I would know if it was working or not?

Umm never mind, I just found it. Sooo I must report that mine charges straight up and parks at 100% for several hours prior to waking.

Odd.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Mine seems to be going up to 80% like it’s supposed to.

There seems to have been something with the last update that causes my camera controls to become unresponsive, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.