Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
I’ve had it turned on since iOS 13 came out almost two weeks ago and this feature hasn’t worked at all. How can it possibly take this long for the phone to learn charging habits?

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Which charger are you using? I’m gonna test out the 5W charger and see what happens since maybe my wireless charger just isn’t “supported”? I’ve had it on since I got the phone and haven’t noticed it doing anything to optimize, just goes straight to 100%. I wake up around 6:15 every weekday so it should have figured that out by now.

Reactions: compwiz1202

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
Which charger are you using? I’m gonna test out the 5W charger and see what happens since maybe my wireless charger just isn’t “supported”? I’ve had it on since I got the phone and haven’t noticed it doing anything to optimize, just goes straight to 100%. I wake up around 6:15 every weekday so it should have figured that out by now.
I just use the stock Apple charger

WaruiKoohii

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Boston
I've had it enabled and have been running a consistent weekday schedule for about three weeks but no dice. I've seen other people report that it can take 4-6 weeks before it starts working.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
Been running iOS 13 since DEV Beta 2 and no luck. Thought my schedule was predictable, get up every morning around 6:30a.

I am using a wireless charger so maybe that's causing an issue.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I’m not seeing it work either. I use a wireless charger at night. I normally don’t use CarPlay because it requires a wired connection in my vehicle and is just clunky overall (way to much scrolling). But I tried to use it a bit more and haven’t noticed any messages on the lockscreen stating optimized charging or whatever.

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)
How many of you have this feature working as it should? Using iOS 13 since day one on an iPhone XS and it charges everyday straight to 100% every time with no pause at 80%.

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
I saw mine working just this night on my 11 Pro Max.

I woke up in the middle of the night and checked my phone, and it had a notification below the DND notice, saying it would charge from 80 og 100 before a certain time in the morning, which was close to when I usually get up.

devindpotts

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016
How many of you have this feature working as it should? Using iOS 13 since day one on an iPhone XS and it charges everyday straight to 100% every time with no pause at 80%.

Mine hasn’t worked either. I charge wirelessly though so maybe that’s why. Does the feature still work when charging wirelessly?

Marwanjukka91

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2016
I've been using my iPhone 11 Pro for 10 days now, and whenever I put my phone on charger it charges up to 100% straight. And when I check the battery graph I don't see the charging process paused at 80%. What's wrong with the feature? Is there something I should do to have it working?

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I didn't think mine was working but woke up the other night at about 3am and the phone said that it was in optimised charging mode and had stopped at 80% and would charge the rest later on

Jason

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hasn’t worked for me except for one night. I think it’s the most worthless feature in iOS 13 since it doesn’t work as advertised. It shouldn’t take a month for the phone to figure out your charging habits.

Lucas284

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2018
Netherlands
As I said this learning charging habits thing is stupid. We should have an option to manually select a ‘wake up’-time so the charging system can do its thing

Reactions: Tomapple

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Hasn’t worked for me. Seems likes it’s the most worthless feature of iOS 13.

Worthless because it doesn’t work. I’m all for extending battery health but if it’s not going to work, might as well remove it and come up with another way that will work.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I don't know when it started working for me, but looking at the Battery page under Settings I can see that Optimized Charging is actually being used. I was expecting to see a notification about it on the lock screen, but I haven't seen any. The battery level timeline however shows a very clear step up to 80% during the night, then closer to my wake-up time another step up to 100%.

That's good enough for me.

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I don't know when it started working for me, but looking at the Battery page under Settings I can see that Optimized Charging is actually being used. I was expecting to see a notification about it on the lock screen, but I haven't seen any. The battery level timeline however shows a very clear step up to 80% during the night, then closer to my wake-up time another step up to 100%.

That's good enough for me.
For those of you that have optimized charging working do you charge through out the day I.e CarPlay etc....

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
For those of you that have optimized charging working do you charge through out the day I.e CarPlay etc....

No, I charge once overnight and pick up the phone within an hour's window every morning. Very easy for Optimized Charging to catch on to that rhythm.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Takes about three weeks for it to work.

i dont know where three weeks comes from.
but i do agree with you, that it does seem to be working in a kind of gradual process.
yesterday it slowed down the pace of its charging when it got to around 76% and it really was unusually slow at the pace of advancing after that.
so it is working, and it is taking time, as you mention.

in my case, i can also add that i keep very dramatically changing hours of intensive use / waking / charging / daily different wake alarms, etc.
so if there is no regular schedule for it to follow, it would be clear it cant figure out an established pattern and therefore delay a kind of charging pattern.

i can also add that in fact, battery life on my iPhone 6s has been slowly inching up better day by day.
especially in keeping/holding a relatively higher charged state longer and not dramatically reducing battery charge just through background / maintenance functions.
when iOS 13 initially came out, my iPhone 6s would lose about 25% overnight.
last night it lost about 5%.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Confirmed. No notification here but battery shows charging until just before my wakeup time and then a nice slow increase to 100%.

I always charge using a wireless charger. Nothing fancy, just some light off Amazon with built in wireless charger and a USB port for the Watch.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Confirmed. No notification here but battery shows charging until just before my wakeup time and then a nice slow increase to 100%.

I always charge using a wireless charger. Nothing fancy, just some light off Amazon with built in wireless charger and a USB port for the Watch.
The message only appears during the trickle charge time period. I woke in the middle and saw it once. I normally only charge my phone during the night. Since getting the new phone on day 1 it took about 3 weeks for it to decide it learned my charging pattern and turned on.

I’m curious to know if this pattern is saved in backup. So when you upgrade again does it restore the optimization charging to the new phone or do you have to start over with another 3 week time period? If it isn’t doing that yet, then that should be a feature in a point release before iOS 14 launches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.