Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junkstory

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
I wish for Java and Oracle to die in a hole and go out of business. As a developer, I hate their IDE. Eclipse is the worst developer environment I have ever used, and Java is an inferior language compared to C# and Objective-C.

As a consumer, I hate Java/Oracle even more for their sneaky attempts to install malware on my machine, and their endless and sudden pop-ups asking me to update Java. :mad:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Yuck. I didn't even know ask.com still exist.

I never install flash in my mac because of chrome. I wish there are other ways not to install java on my mac as unfortunately some of apps I use need the runtime.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Somebody should let the folks at Oracle know that their calendars seem to have March 5th and April 1st transposed.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
missfire

I reckon more and more "free" products will do this just to make money...

TuneUpMedia does this too on Mac if you install the latest version from their website.

I had to uncheck a few boxes and do custom install..Many people this with Java this and just click-away.

Developers are getting smarter :p

Mac's may not have as much malware/adware as PC's do, but they don't need to... Developers will do all the work for us by bundling our favorite apps next time we install.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
This is a perfect example of Java as a language and as a runtime:
Complete garbage you don't want or need, ever.

Java apps are slow, bloated, fugly, utter crap that have sucked on the Mac since forever. Bundling adware with it fits in that line perfectly. If it were not for a bunch of backwards-facing academic institutions still teaching it, a bunch of half-ass "developers" still using it (those who prefer it by choice, anyway), and Minecraft, I'd like to think few would even remember it by now.

If I could murder any technology (and punch the idiots who promote it), my list is:
1) Java.
2) Flash.

Swift might move up there, too, depending on how close to C++ it stays. I still have a shred of hope they'll change some of the nonsense and remove some of the bloat in Swift. I absolutely hate generics, hate non-dynamic as the default, and hate the way you call into Cocoa with it, but I feel like the people working on it love the first 2 points, which makes me sad.

</tech rant>

LRB55

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2015
Unfortunately, I too am plagued by The Ask Toolbar but the uninstall instructions are not helpful. The Instructions refer to removing the extension. I have no visible evidence of the installation of the extension on the extensions tab, just the presence of the toolbar. And, it's not appearing every time I open Chrome. Thoughts Anyone?

TY

LRB55

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Now lets have a Wall of Shame for any apps/services that STILL require you to install Java!

dalupus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
I wish for Java and Oracle to die in a hole and go out of business. As a developer, I hate their IDE. Eclipse is the worst developer environment I have ever used, and Java is an inferior language compared to C# and Objective-C.

While I agree Eclipse is complete junk it isn't "their" IDE. JDeveloper and NetBeans are their IDE's.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Is there a way for Apple to stop like this?

This is a scam.

I remember Ask.com cant be remove on Windows.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Is there a way for Apple to stop like this?

This is a scam.

I remember Ask.com cant be remove on Windows.

It isn't Apple's fault that these are being check marked by default and most users click through without reading everything. All Apple can do (and has done) is enable Gatekeeper by default so that the installation options are limited unless you change it to install from anywhere.

As for not being able to unintstall ask.com from Windows, that's certainly not true. Everything can be uninstalled if you know where to look. Unlike some malware that hides deep in the system, ask.com is fairly easy to remove.

tuslaw12

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Akron Ohio
Not the same thing.
There's no 3rd party adware strategy associated with those Apple-developed apps.

I was more just viewing those apps as extra bundled software that most people don't want/need. I will be forever grateful that apple does not include third party software like their competitors.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The only reason I still mess with Java is for Minecraft. Hopefully Microsoft rewrites the whole thing from the ground up with a proper plugin API for modders because I'm sick of this slow, unstable, security nightmare and now bloatware installing Java crap.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
While it's not cool, this isn't exactly anything new or even all that strange when it comes to installers. Now it's probably not as common as far as Macs go, but in general world of installers and programs this has been done for many apps for years and years. People just pay more attention when they install things.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
Here all start complaining!!!

http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/main.jsp At the bottom under “Report an Issue” from the drop down select “Comments and/or Suggestions” and write away!

If thats not enough for you send the CEO’s an email as well!! mark.hurd@oracle.com and safra.catz@oracle.com they seem to hold a joint CEO positions.

Id rather we don't forgive them like that.

Im boycotting! Ill report back if I'm missing out on anything just don't hold your breath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.