Ordered 17" Anti-Glare, regretting it before even receiving.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spazma7ik, Jul 3, 2010.

1. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Man, I thought I did all the research possible, yet I still am sort of regretting the anti-glare. I don't use my laptops outside, and the black bezel and the deeper colors just looks so much more enticing now. Perhaps if I had gotten the glossy I'd regret it due to reflections?

ugh idk, does anyone know how returns work in terms of ordering online? Does the days it takes to process and ship count towards your 14 day return period?

2. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

It's 14 days from when you receive it. Has it shipped yet?

3. kolax macrumors G3

You won't regret antiglare.

The all silver finish and no reflections makes it a beautiful machine. I can't stand glossy.. I sit near a window and instantly have to angle my screen down. Antiglare, while the screen becomes more washed out near a window, I can still read things fine without reflections.

I'm stuck using a glossy MBP because I can't use the high-res display of the 15"/17". And unfortunately, the 15" antiglare only comes in high resolution. I've been antiglare since the original MacBook Pro.

4. spazma7ik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's already shipped. And yeah, perhaps I will enjoy it, my current machine is matte, so it won't be a big change, but I just feel as this will be my first mac, something won't seem as shiny and purdy about it being matte and not glossy. Silly I admit, but I can't help it.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

you won't regert the antiglare. it's fantastic screen and the colors and blacks are great.

you will regret the 17" however. it's just not portable enough. 15" is the max size that is comfortable for traveling and lugging around.

6. spazma7ik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well my current laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9400 which is 17" and a lot thicker/heavier than a 17" MBP. I should be fine, I have had little problems with this machine being lugged around in my Targus carrying bag.

7. autacraft Guest

you wont be dissapointed

i got my 17" i7 antiglare about three weeks ago and cant stop using it

the display is just STUNNING, clarity/crispness/trueness of colour far exceeds the glossy one, its just a way superior screen, period

it baffles me why apple even went down the glossy trend in the first place, the AG screens they are making these days are possibly the best on the market and yet they dont seem to be particularly bothered in celebrating this!

Its strange, and odd marketing really as the 'choice' only seems to confuse and agitate consumers

I (like everyone else) was slightly hesitant about which to go for, but seriously, once youve used the AG, its an absolute no brainer - its just fantastic!

Oh, and the silver bezel IMO looks way classier than the glossy black one, it looks like a properly engineered and pro tool. The glossy one looks a bit like a TV to me, not keen

Easiest advice - if you want a screen for mostly movies and gaming, save yourself a lot of cash and buy a decent TV and a games console. If you want an incredible, high end computer for producing and helping you create amazing work, without a doubt go antiglare!

8. spazma7ik thread starter macrumors 6502a

From a an owner of the exact machine I ordered, that was very enlightening and now I don't feel so bad, perhaps I will love my AG like you. I just got an update on the shipping as well and apparently now it's in transit... in China. I thought when it said it was picked up in China that it was already being delivered to the US, ugh, how much longer!!

9. autacraft Guest

honestly matey, once you get it and open it/switch on for the first time, you'll be blown away by the screen trust me

I (like you!) spent so so so long debating which to go for, watched endless youtube vids, read a thousand posts, but honestly...I cant tell you how completely happy I am that I went with the AG. I'd be sat here actually really quite annoyed with myself if I'd gone glossy

put it this way, this screen has done more than convince me that ill never buy glossy again

Its an annoying wait, mine took three weeks to ship here in the UK and when it did come, I wasnt in the house to receive it! Argghhhhh, had to wait over the weekend for it to be re delivered!

Well worth the wait though, its the best laptop Ive ever owned bar none

10. spazma7ik thread starter macrumors 6502a

How's the battery life with the i7? What are you getting out if it? btw, do you dual book windows? If so, how does it work out for you? Random Q's, but I might as well keep it here now that I've found someone with my exact machine haha. I appreciate your help by the way.

11. autacraft Guest

hmm, battery life is slightly contentious if Im being honest. I may actually go take to a genius bar and see if they can test it properly. I use coconut battery to check its levels and everything seems in order, but I'd like 'human' confirmation that its all ok.

It seems very intermittent is all I can say, off a full charge, basic web browsing (not viewing media, wifi on bluetooth off) and nothing else running in the background, ive got anywhere between 4-5 hours, certainly never more than 5 which is way short of what apple claim it can do, so yeah Im not too happy about that. I always have the keyboard lighting off and brightness nearly always 50%

Its not a major problem as I use this machine more like a desktop in all honesty, I dont really go out and about with it so if I'm working I just keep it plugged in, only use battery when Im lazing about watching a film or whatever

I dont use windows on this machine no, dont really have the need to!

12. kolax macrumors G3

Most likely there will be a background process that is eating away at your CPU. At 50% brightness, you should be getting 5-6 hours, maybe even 7. Open Activity Monitor, click "All Processes" at the top in the drop down menu.

Also, do you have a 7200RPM hard drive installed? They draw more power. Apple tests on a MacBook Pro with a 5400RPM hard drive.

13. autacraft Guest

My mistake sorry, its not at 50% brightness at all, more like 75%

theres nothing eating away in the background, checked all processes

yes, ive got a 500gb ATA drive running at 7200rpm - perhaps apple should inform customers this will dramatically reduce battery life

Im just slightly annoyed that from a full charge (100% battery capacity indicated) without even doing anything, the battery count down has never displayed anywhere CLOSE to what apple is claiming these systems can do, its completely false advertising

like now, ive just done a full charge, removed my magsafe adapter and the instantly the battery time count jumped from 7.20 hours right the way down to 5.16 hours, all i have running is my chrome browser and all im doing is typing this!

wheres is this mystical 9 hours battery life they claim?

BS if you ask me ;)

14. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

Doesn't Chrome have a bug where it keeps the nVidia GPU on instead of switching to the low power intel GPU?

15. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I have used antiglare screens for 7 years, first, on a Powerbook G4 and for the past two and half years, on an MBP. I got an iPad shortly after it was introduced. It has a glossy display. As great as a glossy display can look its susceptibility to glare and reflections is frequently frustrating. Matte screens are totally immune to that sort of thing and still look great. If my experience is any guide, and I think it is, you made the right choice in getting the antiglare display on your new MBP.

16. kolax macrumors G3

The hard drive is the culprit. Apple should maybe have a better disclaimer that their tests were done on a 5400RPM hard drive.

Apple has always advertised eyebrow raising battery life for their products. Take any advertised battery life with a grain of salt.

This also.

OP: There is an app that someone on this forum wrote that allows you to select the Intel GPU and make sure it only uses that. It is possible that an application (such as Yahoo! Messenger.. I believe that was one of the culprits) causes OS X to switch to the discrete graphics thus lowering battery life.

17. germ79 macrumors newbie

You'll love it. I too thought the full-glass screen of the glossy looked better in the store, but now that I have the AG, I think it looks fantastic. The screen itself is just amazing as well. I think the glare of the glossy would get to a person after awhile (even indoors).

18. j0nblayz macrumors member

j0nblayz

another vote for that you wont regret. I regret, well i guess i didn't have an option since i got mbp 13", i miss my old mb with ag. This i my first laptop with glossy and my eyes are so strained all the time. Trust me you made the right choice with the AG.

19. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Antiglare is amazing. As soon as you're using your MBP and sunlight filters in on the screen, you'll see why.

20. jamesbond05 macrumors member

jamesbond05

Not to make you feel any worse but I got the glossy and I am really enjoying the pop it gives to images and the whole viewing experience. I use it mostly indoors so I have no issues with reflections. After reading alot on this forum, i thought the reflections would be really bad but I have no regrets, although I have a 24" ips display i use for serious work. Did you try checking them out in the store side by side?(if one is closeby)

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Everyone I've known who has antiglare prefers it. Glossy looks cool in the store, but, antiglare is your long-term friend.

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

That depends on how tall you are ;-)

23. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

WUT!!

do not listen to this man. he is obviously insane.

i could never use anything smaller than a 17. especially now that i'm used to the display. i actually lol @ my friends 13 inch mbp's because you can only fit 1 thing on the screen, and even the facebook chat thing takes up half the screen. unless you're an asthmatic 87 pound girl a 17 inch mbp isn't going to too much to take around. i took my even larger toshiba x200 to class every day for 2 years before i got my mac. just get a knapsack designed for your laptops dimensions and it's no different than carrying a psych textbook :rolleyes:

24. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I ordered the 15" anti-glare, and regretted it the second I started using it, as I thought the colors were not as rich as other Macs I had seen, and I liked the black border, which is not present on the machine.

Fortunately, as I continued to use it I realized that I made the right decision. The screen is still gorgeous, and colors do look great. I think the computer looks better without the black border, and it also looks unique, as everyone else has the computer with the black border. And third, I can use it in any lighting and it looks fantastic at all times.

I recommend anti-glare to everyone now, and I am so happy I have it on my computer.

25. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I bought my whitebook vs the MBP because I wanted the least glossy screen that was avail for that size mac product that I could get at the time of purchase... if they had an AG option on the 13", it would sell like hotcakes!