Ordered Twice...I wonder what happens

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rtabdo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. rtabdo macrumors 6502

So this morning I couldn't get through Apple.com at all and I tried through ATT.com and it worked for me. Got an email confirmation. For kicks, I wanted to see what would happened if I tried with Apple.com. I go to order, and it showed me still at the discounted price and gave me the option for delivery, so I did that as well.

I'd rather have it coming from Apple, but who knows what will happen.

Anyone have experience with this?

2. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I ordered at AT&T this afternoon and never got a thing. Nothing on their order status page has anything nor any email

So i went to Apples and ordered.

I will just cancel AT&T's whenever it comes up

3. Lopes macrumors 6502

I did the exact same thing! Ordered from at&t around 4 this afternoon, didn't receive any confirmation, and felt fishy about it.

Tried apple.com, still got the discount, ordered, no confirmation email, but they've already charged my card. And it's says it'll deliver by June 24, at&t who knows.

But I'm afraid the at&t gestapo will come down on me for already using my upgrade discount first with them, then getting away with it with apple. I can't check my order status for either purchase as both systems don't have it listed.

Hoping I can cancel at&t's order tomorrow without a hitch.

4. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I did the same thing, and I tried to cancel my AT&T order, and they wouldn't let me. He told me to refuse the package upon delivery or bring it back into an AT&T store. I called back and some girl gave me another number to call, but they shut down because of the high call volume, and it says to call back later.

AT&T better let me cancel my order, I'd rather have my phone through Apple.

5. Lopes macrumors 6502

That's horse***** if they won't let you cancel an order. Every merchant under the sun let's you cancel an order either until it ships or until it crosses some processing threshold. With the phone coming out next Thursday, and combined with today's debacle, I doubt either has happened with at&t.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Pretty sure the computer kicks out both orders when it sees more than one match on a number. Fraud protection.

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am curious whether they are allowed to tell you that.

8. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I ordered on ATT, and the page hung after I hit "place my order". A little later, I tried again and got through to the confirmation. Thought I was good to go. Then a few hours later I get an email saying my order had been canceled. I go and try it again, get all the way through, and this time get an email almost instantly saying that order had also been canceled.

Then went over to Apple and got through with them finally. Order confirmed, I can see it on the status page, and just got the confirmation email.

What a deal.

9. Lopes macrumors 6502

I still haven't received a confirmation from either...

EDIT: JUST got the apple confirmation...i'm thinking the at&t never went through, like some others are seeing have happened.

10. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I did the same process I described above with my girlfriend's account too, except I have yet to get the cancel email from ATT on her account. I hope I do. I've already gotten the confirmation from Apple for hers, and don't want ATT to come along and screw it up.

11. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

I did the same thing

Let me explain my story:
    I've been trying to upgrade another line on my family plan. This line does not have an iPhone on it, so I was guessing that might be why it wasn't letting me have it shipped, only instore reserved. I've been trying my phone number (since it has an iPhone already registered to it), which I already ordered an iPhone 4 for this morning. A few attempts, and it went through. I wonder if this will work..

12. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

FWIW, that's precisely what they had me do last summer when I had the same issue. They can't cancel the order (or so says their internal support people); you can only refuse delivery and send it back that way or take delivery and then cart it into the AT&T store yourself. You'd probably be better off taking it into the store yourself if at all possible; it took them a couple of MONTHS to apply the refund to my credit card last year because I shipped it back to them (couldn't refuse delivery when it was delivered 'cause Fed Ex tossed it on the porch and took off without knocking or ringing the bell; I had no clue it'd been delivered until I went to leave and about tripped over it on the porch.)

13. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

I actually have 3 orders...

2 from AT&T--no confirms...no way to track-- AT&T has no record...

Because there was no record of them, I ordered thru apple.

So I may have like 3 phones Thursday. 2 from AT&T and 1 from Apple.

Hopefully they won't all get canceled...
    I can return them easily enough downstairs.

14. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Today was nuts. See if you could follow my timeline:
    1. Couldn't complete an order before I hopped on the train to work.
    2. I was able to place an order on AT&T's Premier website for a 16GB using line #2 of my family plan.
    3. I was also able to set two reservations at the Apple store for 16GB each.
    4. When I got home from work, I noticed my browser was still open on Apple's site. I checked the cart and found two 32GB sitting there, but it told me I had to get rid of one of them. I did, and completed the preorder and was charged instantly using line #1 of my family plan.
    5. I realized that a) I'm not confident that AT&T will deliver the phone on time, and b) I never got charged or preauthorized for the 16GB on AT&T's site. AT&T's Premier Order Status shows it's still "Processing." Since I needed three iPhones and I only really did two preorders and two reservations, I figured I would go ahead and perform a full preorder on Apple's site. I ended up with another 16GB using line #1 of my family plan again, preordered and charged.

What I realized is that I was able to get three fully-subsidized prices from one line. For kicks, I went to the Apple site again and used the same line I preordered from and was still offered the fully subsidized price. I don't think I'm in the wrong because I am contractually eligible on three lines, but ended up using one number twice, but could this be the start of a sh--storm if it's not activated on the number it was ordered from, or if someone were to place a bunch of orders for fully subsidized iPhones with the same line (not like I'm going to do it)?

Personally, I want to cancel the AT&T order and just make a third preorder on Apple's site. At least I'd know they're all coming in at the same time from the same source, and that the money is gone from my account instantly, so it doesn't get accidentally used.

15. rtabdo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm sort of worried about that. Wondering if I should call AT&T and try to cancel.

16. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

Well this must have happened before. I would guess that within one billing cycle, they'll notice and you'll get a bill for the unsubsidized price.

17. rtabdo thread starter macrumors 6502

So you actually got two iPhones last summer?

18. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I was able to pre-order thru AT&T and I'd like to try doing that also to Apple but I'm afraid of the consequences of not being able to cancel, getting the refund back, ETF, the contact and etc... I don't know for a fact if these will happen if I order again to Apple but I'd like to think of the worst that will happen and I think it will be too much of a hassle. Until someone can confirm if we can cancel thru AT&T easily, then for now I'll stay with AT&T delivering my iPhone 4. :cool:

19. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I ordered twice. My AT&T order from earlier supposedly went through, however, I haven't received a confirm email and AT&T is still showing I have a free upgrade. And since I'm not getting it on the 24th with AT&T, I went ahead and ordered through Apple.

20. psywzrd macrumors 68030

My friend ordered twice from apple.com (single line account). He ordered the first one and never got an order confirmation (at least not yet) so he ordered another one even though I told him that it took me a few hours to get my order confirmation. He said that second order still showed the $299 price so do you think that he'll actually get 2 of them at that price? You'd think they would catch that and cancel one of the order automatically but maybe not. Or maybe they'll just charge the unsubsidized price if he never ends up activating the 2nd phone on his number.

21. ProMod macrumors 6502a

An update on my post from earlier: I just checked my account on ATT (two confirmed cancel emails from ATT) and I am showing no contract extension and still eligible for upgrade.

My girlfriend's account (no cancel email from ATT) is showing a contract through 6/15/2012 and not eligible for an upgrade. Not good if I want to cancel and go with her confirmed Apple order.

Looks like I'll be on the phone at 7 or 8 AM.

22. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Hate to quote myself but I just tried to do what my friend did at apple.com and I went as far as I could in the ordering process without actually placing the order and I can order another iphone 4 at the $299 subsidized price. That has to be too good to be true, right?

Can someone else try it without actually placing the order and see if you get the same thing?

23. rtabdo thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm highly considering going through Apple.com and canceling my second order. As much as I would have preferred to have it sent from Apple, I have gotten confirmation and charged from AT&T and I would hate to have both for them cancelled because of duplicate orders.

Has anyone ever done this in the past? Did you receive both phones and return one?

24. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I got my confirmation email from Apple at the subsidized price and my CC has been charged that amount. Delivery confirmed for the 24th.

I read on another thread that some orders placed on AT&T will not even be processed for up to 3 days. Then you will receive your email. The AT&T order I placed won't be in before the cut-off - I'm just worried that if it does go through, it'll muck up my Apple order (which I hope is all said and done since it's been paid for).

The second best thing that could happen is if AT&T ships me for a full-price phone and I can take it into a store and return it.

25. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Exact same thing happened to me tonight. I think Apple will "fix" it and cancel one order. I doubt if one could keep both phones. I recently purchased a Blackberry from Amazon for the low price of .01. When I did not activate the Blackberry w/i 24 hours of receiving it, I started getting reminders from Amazon that I would be charged the full retail price if I did not activate the phone on a qualified Verizon line ASAP. I guess Apple could do the same. Anyways, I am glad I made a last attempt tonight as it appears Apple is sold out of its first run of phones.