Ordered two 5s, and Verizon ETF

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by YMark, Dec 30, 2013.

1. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I'm upgrading my wife's and my phones from 4s to 5s. In doing so, I'm moving from Verizon to TMO. Unfortunately, I can't port until January 10th, when my contract with Verizon is complete. New phones should be here Monday.

I called Verizon and they said I'll be nailed for $120 early termination fee x 2, if I port early. Bummer.

Anyone know of any ways around this? TMO rep said Verizon doesn't have ETF if you port in the last month of the contract, but I'm not sure I believe that.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Play it safe and wait until the 11th. Trust me, it's best not rush this or lest be charged $240.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Didn't read anything about that in Verizon's contract. Plus, if Verizon is telling you it'll be $120... well, then, you know.

Anyway... doesn't the phone number "port" when you activate the phone? So maybe you can get away with not paying the ETF if you keep the phone sealed until your contract ends.

4. The pHan macrumors newbie

Activate the tmo phones with temp numbers and set up call forwarding on your vzw phones. Then port when contract ends.

5. YMark thread starter macrumors 6502a

YMark

Not a bad idea, except I use iMessage and text more than I do voice.

6. The pHan macrumors newbie

7. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

You have to be careful: My friend terminated her AT&T contract in the last WEEK, and she got hit by a $60 ETF. You need to time it right (i.e. call Verizon and check with them when is the FIRST day you can port away without ETF). If you don't you will be charged a full month even if you use a day or two, and per terms and conditions, you don't get refunded.

You are only talking about 4 days :)